k/BB ratio on a valuation sheet

Theories, Concepts and Analytical Discussion (draft strategies, valuation, inflation, scarcity, etc.)
rotodog

k/BB ratio on a valuation sheet

#1 Post by rotodog »

Todd,

I am in a 5x5 mixed with Winning % instead of WHIP and K/BB instead of K's. The winning percentage formula is easy to write and value, but the K/BB is still bugging me.

Do you think I need to break down the K/BB ration into "extras" first? or could I simply take the ration number and write the formula to include IP to make sure the Innings and contribution are accounted for?

I also tend to discount winning percentage as this is the most unstable of the projected stats year to year and not dependent on the pitcher. How do reduce the weight properly on a valuation sheet to reflect this with out skewing everything else?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: k/BB ratio on a valuation sheet

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

I'm not completely sure how to handle K/BB, it was discussed and probably archived in the forum at fantasybaseball.com, but I don't have access to it.

First blush would be (PLAYER K/BB - BASELINE K/BB) x IP

As for weighting, just take some money from W% and give it to the categories you think are more stable or distribute it evenly amongst the other four.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

rotodog

#3 Post by rotodog »

Todd Zola wrote:I'm not completely sure how to handle K/BB, it was discussed and probably archived in the forum at fantasybaseball.com, but I don't have access to it.

First blush would be (PLAYER K/BB - BASELINE K/BB) x IP

As for weighting, just take some money from W% and give it to the categories you think are more stable or distribute it evenly amongst the other four.
The formula you mentioned was the one I was going to use...maybe I am was trying to make it harder with finding extras somewhere...

And DUH! I wasnt thinking about the weighting...My mind is slow with K/BB

Thanks Todd. Will let you know if it seems right..

rotodog

#4 Post by rotodog »

Ran it! Looks deadly! Deadly! With the K/bb and winning percentage categories, I had to sort the crap out of it at the end as these cats are a little less unstable a showed wild swings in the k/bb from top to bottom..

But after 30 freaking sorts, I have the values I need. And aside of them being pretty good numbers, they are in line with what the rest of the league pays for a certain pitcher... I was never, ever in 4 years prior ever to get Rotolab to spit me out numbers I liked...No matter how I tweaked it..they were always a bit off and I adjusted...But these look deadly.
Thanks Todd!