Managing Multiple Teams / Leagues

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
Black Sox
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 Mix

Managing Multiple Teams / Leagues

#1 Post by Black Sox »

I've decided to play in more leagues than I normally do ( 8-10 from my normal 3-4). Figure I do all this research before hand why not put it to good use. However even as I keep up on the transactions in my leagues before the season start, I can start to see how this is could be a problem once the season starts. How do other people best manage their time with multiple teams, and still keep some semblance of a life. If I don't figure this out, I belive divorce in my future :lol:
Boston Black Sox
Steve Le Blanc

Mickey4081

Re: Managing Multiple Teams / Leagues

#2 Post by Mickey4081 »

If you're not totally dedicated with that many leagues, you will slip up here and there. I've noticed that I pay more attention to leagues I care about more than others and it shows in the end and throughout the season. Over the last few years, I've cut it down to 5 or so leagues than the 8-10 I usually do. Even though I've cut it down to 5 leagues, I am still more concerened/pay more attention too/care about other leagues than others. I guess it all depends on how pationate you are about each team/league. You will be busy if you want to finish at the top in every league.

viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

#3 Post by viper »

I've had 8-10 leagues for several years now. It looks like it will be eight this year but that isn't 100% clear yet. I am at six now. I know there may be another MB league or two. The thing is that only one involves daily transactions and that is a CBS dynasty league with 12 teams and 40 man rosters. Because you can post lineups several days in advance it isn't all that bad.

I am a very inactive trader and that helps. My two NFBC league are trade free. Also all but one has Sunday FAAB. Saturday & Sunday mornings involve checking out things but there seems to be a lot of overlap. This year i will have to check a bit for the two NFBC teams given the new Friday move rule. last year I just checked for DL status.

Rotoworld has a $15 pay option where you can set a list and see their news for just those players. I use that for information on injuries, etc.

I check standings quickly each morning but I don't try an analyze and track anything daily. The weekends are made for Michelob and more detailed thoughts.
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

lawr
Major League All-Star

#4 Post by lawr »

i find that many too many. i used to do 8-10 (for a couple of years) cos i had leagues i loved, but also i would get invited all over and felt i should (and was flattered).

but, i found i could not adequately manage them all. and, it is true, there were teams i care more about, but the truth is they all suffered and i was not very effective. and, that proved to actually not even be so much fun.

i cut back to four--tout, xfl, and two strat-o leagues, though one of those was only a nine-week online one--but last year added labr and a scoresheet league (i do like trying lots of formats). this year i have an nfbc team and i am already fearful that i will manage adequately, though my man lord z is partnering with me (and me, him on his nfbc al auction league).

really that is only five i need to keep track of (strat is stress free in that sense) but, again, three is really my comfort zone. (d'oh, i guess there is also that bloomberg league that drafts next monday, so, six.)

mercifully my mastersball mates take a lot of the experts invites. which is good. gives them a chance to strut. represents us.

anyway, i am feeling stretched now and the season has not started.

daweasle
Major League Veteran

#5 Post by daweasle »

my recommendation is make an excel spreadsheet or even use something like microsoft outlook calendar (reminders) and set up a few rules now
(So for example - every first saturday of the month I get a reminder to send in my monthly FAAB pickups for my AL Only league)
And every saturday i get a reminder to check my head to head pitching matchups on friday and saturday in my head to head league.

And every league that allows you to get automatic email updates - get them sent to you automatically. even set up just one email address called fantasy email for blacksox or whatever and have all your fantasy crap sent to that email address.

It helps the most if you seperate fantasy from your real life - I mean if you get an email from wife, work and then fantasy baseball, sometimes real life gets in the way. But if you setup a different email - then when it's time to check fantasy stuff - you get it all in one place when you are focused on it and ready to make baseball type decisions.

my biggest interference is Little League - I used to do alot of leagues competitively - but now that I coach Little League - I can only afford time for my two big money leagues.

(but my little league teams are well worth the effort and it's a little different but seriously more fun that fantasy baseball) I never thought I would say that - but it really is.

Captain Hook

#6 Post by Captain Hook »

Black Sox wrote:I've decided to play in more leagues than I normally do ( 8-10 from my normal 3-4). Figure I do all this research before hand why not put it to good use. However even as I keep up on the transactions in my leagues before the season start, I can start to see how this is could be a problem once the season starts. How do other people best manage their time with multiple teams, and still keep some semblance of a life. If I don't figure this out, I belive divorce in my future :lol:
Divorce is overrated - ask any of my ex wives ;)

As for managing your teams..... excel is your friend....put all your teams on a spreadsheet by position...makes it much easier to look at all your lineups/rosters and make notes for the upcoming weekend. Then just read the weekly FA column here (likely for Platinum subscribers)