SECOND BASE CONSENSUS RANKINGS

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

SECOND BASE CONSENSUS RANKINGS

#1 Post by Todd Zola »

Please rank your top-10 SECOND baseman using standard 5x5 rotisserie scoring rules (HR, BA, RBI, SB, R)

Feel free to provide commentary.

Scoring will be done MVP style, your top 2b will get 10 points.

Let's include the following at 2B and not the other position(s) they qualify:

Asbrubal Cabrera, Ben Zobrist, Martin Prado, Ian Stewart, Skip Schumaker and Casey McGehee.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Captain Hook

Re: SECOND BASE CONSENSUS RANKINGS

#2 Post by Captain Hook »

HA! rating second basemen for my birthday - leave it to Todd

Okay, here are my top ten second basemen in tiers

Tier One
1) Chase Utley, PHL
----------------
2) Dustin Pedroia, BOS
3) Ian Kinsler, TEX
4) Brandon Phillips, CIN

*two notes about this tier and the line under Utley....they are all $25+ second baseman but Utley is clearly way ahead of the pack, but you only get a shot at him with a high/mid first round draft pick or going over $30 for a 2B; and while I would take Kinsler over Pedroia at the table I put him third to re-emphasize that hitting fifth in the Rangers lineup, his stolen bases will likely go down....maybe substantially (although the Rangers do like to run) hitting in front of Chris Davis and Nelson Cruz

Tier Two
5) Robinson Cano, NYY
6) Aaron Hill, TOR
7) Ben Zobrist, TB

This group may be where you get the best bang for your buck

Tier Three
8) Howie Kendrick, LAA
9) Jose Lopez, SEA
10) Brian Roberts, BAL
11) Dan Uggla, FLA

had to list eleven because the drop to the net tier is severe; Roberts downgraded slightly (would still have been in this tier) because of the back problems

deansdaddy

#3 Post by deansdaddy »

The second base class this year looks to be pretty deep - and will look even better by the end of April when Gordon Beckham and Chris Coghlan will likely join those players already eligible there.

1) Chase Utley - He's at the top of the heap, in a tier all by himself. He was a hot topic among a bunch of NFBC drafters this weekend at the First Pitch Forum as we debated if you take him if he's on the board at #5. I came down on the side that said no - simply because of the options likely to be available to you in the 2/3 and 3/4 turns.

2) Brandon Phillips - All of the next three bring real strengths to the table. If you pass on Utley high in your draft - you will likely get an opportunity to grab either Phillips or Pedroia your next pick.
3) Ian Kinsler
4) Dustin Pedroia

5) Ben Zobrist- I think the BA comes down a bit - but everything else remains - not too far behind the 2nd tier for me.
6) Robinson Cano - Could this be the year Cano takes that next big step forward? He'll likely move up in the lineup providing more run producing opportunities. Doesn't steal enough bases
7) Aaron Hill - He'll be overvalued on draft day. His power numbers probably come back down - I'd plan on 20-25 hrs 85/85 - but somebody will pay for last years stats.
8) Brian Roberts - The bad back and the declining SB's numbers have me concerned enough to not go after him like I have the past two years and move him down my rankings. I just don't think he's a sure enough bet for where you will have to pick him again this year.

9) Howie Kendrick - Is this the year? If I wait on the position - he's the guy I want. I keep seeing him drafted after Uggla/Lopez and even Ian Stewart. If he finally stays healthy he'll blow past all three of those guys.
10) Asdrubal Cabrera - I'm a believer. He's going to be the new lead off man in Cleveland - so I see upside in the runs and SB department. This will likely be the last year you can use him at 2B - where his lack of power plays better.

To illustrate the depth here's my next 5
11) Kelly Johnson - Johnson has been a forgotten man in drafts - but if he stays healthy he could be a big steal for anyone who drafts him
12) Jose Lopez - Like him - just not sure he can get any better.
13) Rickie Weeks - Do you feel lucky, punk?
14) Dan Uggla - Just not a fan of the guy. I'm always happy to see someone else draft him early.
15) Ian Stewart - Power's for real but so are the K's and bad average. That said - I'll grab him if the price is right.

Kelly_Leak
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 AL-only Auction

#4 Post by Kelly_Leak »

1. Chase Utley - Looks like we will have another unanimous pick for the number one player in these consensus rankings (Pujols and Mauer previously).

This next tier is very close IMO - the exact order really depends on your draft plan.
2. Ian Kinsler - speed, power, great lineup, good park...IF he plays a full season could challenge for the number one spot overall.
3. Brandon Phillips - similar attributes to Kinsler.
4. Dustin Pedroia - great play if you are eyeing a Carlos Pena type power source later.

5. Robinson Cano - good to possibly great BA, solid power, great lineup, but no speed...that for me keeps him out of the tier above.
6. Brian Roberts - age and his back are real concerns. I think he has one more 15/30 season in him.
7. Aaron Hill - I think the power is real and 30+ HRs is a near lock if he stays healthy.
8. Ben Zobrist - I want to believe, but I have a bad feeling about him this year. I would not be surprised to see Rodriguez at 2B/SS and Jennings in RF at years end with either Bartlett or Zobrist on the bench.

9. Asdrubal Cabrera - dual 2B/SS eligibility is an added bonus. Doesn't excel in any one area, but does a little bit of everything.
10. Ian Stewart - had a tough time deciding between him, Uggla, and Lopez...opted for the Mile High guy.

Note - I really like Howie Kendrick, but I've been burned a bit the past two years. I want to see him with 600+ ABs. Will have to stay healthy and fend off Izturis, but he could easily put up Pedroia type numbers IMO.
10 Team 5x5 (OBP) AL-Only; 100 FAAB; *6 Keepers
1C: J.Lucroy; 1B: H.Ramirez; 2B: A.Cabrera; 3B: A.Bregman*; SS: R.Martin; MI: M.Semien; CI: C.Davis; OF: C.Stewart, T.Pham*, C.Mullins, J.Bradley, E.Jimenez*; DH: N.Cruz
10P: K.Herrera, C.Rodon, B.Snell*, J.Junis, H.Strickland, J.Verlander, M.Givens, C.Roe, T.Cahill, L.Giolito
Bench: N.Lowe, V.GuerreroJr*, J.Choi, F.Whitley, A.Hays
DL: F.Lindor*, B.Zimmer, D.Duffy

50 Desert Eagles

#5 Post by 50 Desert Eagles »

I am confused here with something....

Compare 2 players here.... Aaron Hill and Dan Uggla.

Last 4 seasons.....(I am combining hill's first season and 4th season as he missed 350 ab's 2 seasons ago)

Aaron Hill.....Avg HR season 16-RBI---74----Runs---82 BA. 282
Dan Uggla....Avg HR season 30 RBI ---90----Runs --99 BA. 262

Hill has had 1 out of 5 above average seasons....Uggla has been consistant for 4 years straight with no injuries longer then a few games.....Uggla does have better OBP, but I was keeping it simple. Those numbers are big in my mind.....I mean almost double in hr's.....Now seeing someone suggest Ian Stewart OVER uggla...come on...... :mrgreen:

deansdaddy

#6 Post by deansdaddy »

Well yes - if you average in the season he lost then the numbers don't look good.

If you split the difference between 2009 and 2007 and substitute a normal growth season for Hill in 2008 then your numbers will not look so bad.

Like I said - I wouldn't pay for last years numbers - but I like him better than Uggla.

If you play in an OBP league - okay bump Uggla up - but with the standard BA stat- Uggla gives up .030 points minimum to Hill in that category alone.

Uggla's .280 BA from 2006 inflates your BA findings - he's been much worse than that the last three years.
Last edited by deansdaddy on March 8th, 2010, 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

50 Desert Eagles

#7 Post by 50 Desert Eagles »

I agree about losing the .30 AB.....but u lose there, but gain 30% more hr's, Rbi and 20% more runs....plus 10-15% on the OBP...plus you know what your getting...Hill has to have atleast 2 seasons without injury and showing he can hit....in 2007 he made strides, but only hit 17 hrs.....not that much power really....3 seasons of AB's with less then 20 hr's and one season with more then 20.....ahhhhhhhhhhh we will see this season I guess....just trying to make sure I understand everything here, not trying to say anyone is right or wrong with either pick.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by Todd Zola »

I'll buy the "can hit" part. Especially the power.

But not the injury part -- the man had a concussion in 2008 and showed he was completely over it in 2009.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Tig

#9 Post by Tig »

where would you slot Beckham and Figgins if they were to gain 2b eligibility?

deansdaddy

#10 Post by deansdaddy »

50 Desert Eagles wrote:I agree about losing the .30 AB.....but u lose there, but gain 30% more hr's, Rbi and 20% more runs....plus 10-15% on the OBP...plus you know what your getting...Hill has to have atleast 2 seasons without injury and showing he can hit....in 2007 he made strides, but only hit 17 hrs.....not that much power really....3 seasons of AB's with less then 20 hr's and one season with more then 20.....ahhhhhhhhhhh we will see this season I guess....just trying to make sure I understand everything here, not trying to say anyone is right or wrong with either pick.
It all comes down to what your team looks like when it comes time to even consider Hill over Uggla. Hill has an NFBC ADP of 51 - so he's a solid 4th rd selection and often breaks into the middle of Round 3 - IMO those people who take him that high are more likely to be disappointed. Uggla is coming off the boards 50+ later picks according to the ADP data (#106)- so I do see how the comparison works in Uggla's favor when you put it into the context of 3-4 rounds of added value in a 15 team draft and even more in a 12 team.

My biggest problem is that at the point that Uggla comes into the discussion so do Kendrick, Lopez, Cabrera and even Weeks. Why not take a chance of one of them at that point and let Uggla be someone else problem.
Last edited by deansdaddy on March 8th, 2010, 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mickey4081

#11 Post by Mickey4081 »

1. Utley
2. Kinsler
3. Pedroia
4. Phillips
5. Cano
6. Hill
7. Zobrist
8. Kendrick
9. Roberts
10. Lopez

david_hume

#12 Post by david_hume »

1. Utley
2. Pedroia
3. Phillips
4. Kinsler
5. Zobrist
6. Cano
7. Roberts
8. Hill
9. Uggla
10. Stewart

viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

#13 Post by viper »

1. Utley - top 10 player
[gap]
2. Phillips
3. Kinsler
[skip a bit]
4. Pedroia
5. Hill
6. Zobrist
7. Roberts [after Zobrist due to 2B/OF eligibility for Zobrist]
8. Cano
[skip]
9. Stewart [eligibility again]
10. Uggla [drops below As.Cabrera if your power is sufficient, if that can actually happen]

2B drop quality is much deeper than SS at the front end of the draft.
Last edited by viper on March 8th, 2010, 7:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

Hambowen

#14 Post by Hambowen »

1. Utley
2. Kinsler
3. Phillips - A return to 30/30?
4. Pedroia
5 Cano
6. Roberts - Worried about decline
7. Hill
8. Zobrist - Pretty sure BA and SB's are not for real.
9. Uggla - Almost never own him
10. Lopez - Almost always own him. He is still only 26. Don't think we have seen his best season.

2b crop is looking good this year.

david_hume

#15 Post by david_hume »

viper wrote: 7. Roberts [after Hill due to 2B/OF eligibility for Hill]
i think you mean zobrist for the of eligibility

viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

#16 Post by viper »

yeppers
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

blue

#17 Post by blue »

Interesting that for us NL only guys only two, Utley and Phillips, or two plus (Uggla) make the top 10.

Mickey4081

#18 Post by Mickey4081 »

blue wrote:Interesting that for us NL only guys only two, Utley and Phillips, or two plus (Uggla) make the top 10.
Who else from the NL would you put in the top 10? Felipe Lopez? Orlando Hudson? NL 2nd sackers are a very sad bunch compared to the AL.

Shyguy30

#19 Post by Shyguy30 »

1) Utley - clear cut #1
2) Kinsler - top power/speed combo, may hurt BA
3) Roberts - Earned just as much as Zobrist last year, in Z's career year.
4) Pedroia - All-around contributer
5) Phillips - worried about nagging injuries or he's #3
6) Uggla - Consistent Power production outweighs BA drag
7) Cano - Maybe I still feel burned by 2008
8) Zobrist - ABs may be in danger with a slow start
9) Kendrick - Needs to put it all together, but upside lands him here
10) Jose Lopez - Underrated source of power, BA may surprise this year

I've got Hill at 11 this year, more of a gut feeling than anything. I just don't trust the power, he doesn't run, and has a pretty poor surrounding cast.

AllstonRockCity

#20 Post by AllstonRockCity »

Utley
--------
Phillips - why yes, i would like help in all 5 categories, thank you
Kinsler - if he could only post a full season of ABs
Pedroia - if only the HR/SB totals were higher, but that's just greedy
----------------
Hill - I believe, now don't let me down
Cano - I like to draft him in his off years and scoff at those that snag him in his great years
Roberts - over 30 and his primary asset is speed, caveat emptor
Zobrist - prove it to me
-----------
Lopez - I feel he's underrated and a great target if you miss the studs
Uggla - love the dingers hate the AVG drain
----------------
Stewart, Kendrick, Weeks, Prado, Polanco

Bodhizefa
Major League Veteran

#21 Post by Bodhizefa »

1. Chase Utley - Not really rocket science here.
------------------
2. Ian Kinsler - Call me optimistic on the at bats.
3. Dustin Pedroia - I'm expecting him to be a tick better than last year. I actually think people underrate him a little now, which is weird, considering he's in Boston.
4. Brandon Phillips - Good, but just not as good as Kinsler talent-wise.
------------------
5. Ben Zobrist - I find that most people tend to believe in Hill more than Zobrist for some reason. I swing the opposite way.
6. Robinson Cano - An all-around fun guy to own most years.
7. Aaron Hill - He's no Ben Zobrist ;)
------------------
8. Jose Lopez - I can't believe he's only 26. I also can't believe he walked 25 times last year. I don't remember seeing a single one of them.
9. Howie Kendrick - Of course this is the year. It has to be, right? Hello? Is this thing on?
10. Brian Roberts - That back becomes more worrisome for me by the day. With back injuries, power AND speed are affected.

EDIT TO ADD: Just read some new reports on Roberts. This may be a horrible season to own him, because back injuries are pretty debilitating. I'm knocking him down to 10, and I'm curious if he even makes it that high by season's end.
I tried to think of the most harmless thing. Something I loved from my childhood. Something that could never ever possibly destroy us. Mr. Stay Puft! We used to roast Stay-Puft marshmallows, by the fire, at Camp Waconda.

Bodhizefa
Major League Veteran

#22 Post by Bodhizefa »

I edited Brian Roberts in my rankings. He's dropping more and more each day with that back injury :(
I tried to think of the most harmless thing. Something I loved from my childhood. Something that could never ever possibly destroy us. Mr. Stay Puft! We used to roast Stay-Puft marshmallows, by the fire, at Camp Waconda.

cwk1963

#23 Post by cwk1963 »

1) Utley
2) Kinsler
3) Pedroia
4) Phillips
5) Cano
6) Hill
7) Zobrist
8) Kendrick
9) Roberts
10) Lopez

kjduke

#24 Post by kjduke »

1 utley
2 kinsler
3 pedroia
4 zobrist
5 phillips
6 cano
7 hill
8 kendrick
9 uggla
10 stewart

#3-5 is a push, based on need I'd go Pedroia for BA, Zobrist for HR or Phillips for RBI