Matt Diaz 20 bucks NL only?

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
rotodog

Matt Diaz 20 bucks NL only?

#1 Post by rotodog »

First, I have always liked Matt Diaz for what he is...and always wanted to see what he could do with 550 consistent ABs..

Mastersball latest projection set still has Matt Diaz getting a boatload of ABs an with that a sneaky 20 dollar value in an NL only.. His BA and ABs is likely driving that price and nobody will likely pay anywhere near 20 bucks on draft day...But..

With that crowded OF and the HYPE around Heyward, does anyone actually see him getting that many ABs still? I dont disagree that he could approach a 20 dollar value in an NL format if given enough ABs and that it is ABs driving the price, but I need to make a decison on him in an NL keeper at 8 bucks....I was going to toss him back and most likely get him for 8 or less if I needed too.....But the 20 dollar tag and PT is making me rethink it a bit...

Re: Matt Diaz 20 bucks NL only?

#2 Post by Guest »

He's probably this year's Delmon Young insofar as $$ value that doesn't fit reputation. I wouldn't let our evaluation overrule your gut on him, though we see him as a sleeper in NL leagues who only want to pay $8 for him.

rotodog

#3 Post by rotodog »

I agree that he may still bring $8+ value and he has decent skills...But do you still see him getting 482 Abs? You must at this point because the latest proj set that went out still has him there....

But what if Heyward does make the team? I dont see them giving him inconsistent ABs to start...And Nate M is playing every day...

That leaves Melky ...which you still have 474 Abs for... I wont even mention Jordan at this point as I see him going AAA...

But my real question is the PT or ABs if Heyward makes the team out of ST... Who do you envision losing the Abs? Melky or Diaz? Or do you take them both down a bit to acommodate Heyward?

Actually, I just answered my question about potentially keeping Diaz at 8 bucks in NL league but would still love to hear any thoughts on the ABs if Heyward breaks camp with the club...

#4 Post by Guest »

I believe he would strongly be in the mix for time at 1B should either of the Glaus/Chipper combo go down.

david_hume

#5 Post by david_hume »

if heyward breaks camp with the major league team, i would bet every dollar in my bank account on under 482 ABs for diaz this year. so if anyone is up for a $43.77 wager, PM me.

#6 Post by Guest »

I think I can get about a $3.71 bet against your amount...though agreed things could break against Diaz and his playing time.

rotodog

#7 Post by rotodog »

david_hume wrote:if heyward breaks camp with the major league team, i would bet every dollar in my bank account on under 482 ABs for diaz this year. so if anyone is up for a $43.77 wager, PM me.
Dave, I would take that bet even though I am taking the under myself....That and I only have 12.74 in my account...

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by Todd Zola »

It was mentioned in another thread that both Melky and Diaz stand to lose if Heyward breaks camp with the Braves.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

lawr
Major League All-Star

#9 Post by lawr »

you guys are scarin' me. first you talk about diaz like he is something other than a platoon player.

then, you drag high stakes betting into it. dammit, this is a family site.

i think...

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#10 Post by Todd Zola »

pre-Heyward, i had Diaz pegged as something greater than platoon but not 162 games either.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord