Projection Theory Poll #1

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.

How Many HR does he hit? (see data below)

20 - three year average
25%
30 - newly established skill set
45%
40 - that's the trend
No votes
other
30%

Total votes: 20

Projection Theory Poll #1

#1 Post by Guest »

Assume nothing else is known about the player, In the last three years in fulltime PA, he's hit 10, 20, and 30 HR. How many do you project him to hit this year?

this is just for discussion purposes. Please feel free to comment afterwards.

Bodhizefa
Major League Veteran

Re: Projection Theory Poll #1

#2 Post by Bodhizefa »

I would guess 25-27 guessing that a new skillset has been set but that regression will bring him down a tick.
I tried to think of the most harmless thing. Something I loved from my childhood. Something that could never ever possibly destroy us. Mr. Stay Puft! We used to roast Stay-Puft marshmallows, by the fire, at Camp Waconda.

AllstonRockCity

#3 Post by AllstonRockCity »

I chose other because I cannot assume nothing else is known about the player and choose between 20 and 30.

Lets say the player has been around for a while and got hurt the year hit 10HR, hit for about his career avg when he hit 20 and had a fluke year the year he hit 30. To me, thats a 20HR projection. Now lets assume that this player broke into the majors the year he hit 10, adjusted to everyday life at the big league level the year he 20 and now appears to really be coming into his own the year he hits 30. I'd say thats a 30, and maybe more like 35 if you really like the guy.

cwk1963

#4 Post by cwk1963 »

I say 30. Due to the fact you said "last three years in fulltime PA" I'm assuming he's a young MLB player with no significant injury time who is learning, adjusting and has set a new skill level. I'm not ready to go to 40 unless he shows he can maintain and build on this new skill set.

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

I'm with AllstonRock City - other. Simply not enough know. Based on what's presented here, the answers may well as be 40 this year, 50 next and 60 in 2011.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

#6 Post by viper »

With this minimal data, also assuming he is playing with essentially the same situation [team, teammates], I would think it would be between 25-33, so I would best guess a bit under 30. On a side note, if a site suggested 25 or 35, I would not find either out of line. If it was 20 or 40, I would ask why, especially the 40 side of things.
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

rotodog

#7 Post by rotodog »

He did state "thats all the info available" ..And FT Ab's. So taking the "not enough info" route shouldnt be a an answer...

So what he is saying, is that he has to make a call as well as everyone else in the Projections community. I think he may be getting at perception. A couple folks perceived the 10,20,30 to be a young guy on the way up as opposed to an older player that slowly came from nowhere..

I think we just want better on the way up, but if you look at the reverse poll on the way down 30, 20, 10 we assume an old player as opposed to a Young player that came to the party with a bang and slowly turned in to a piece of crap. We just assume its an old guy in decline, like Miggy Tejada as opposed to Jeff Francuer ....

Its a nice exercise in perception if thats what Gary is getting at....

If not, I voted the last skill set in each 30 HR and 10 HR...But as a prognosticator , one would most like hedge a little more so that the numbers are a little more to the buying customers liking....so I could see some middle ground depending on if the player is on the way up or in decline truly...

aburt19
Major League Elite
Preferred Style: AL only 5X5 keeper auction

#8 Post by aburt19 »

I would say somewhere between 20 and 30 and would probably settle on 25-27. It's always hard to tell when someone
has had a career year and I never want to pay for stats to repeat on what may be a career year.

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#9 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Dup Post
Last edited by da_big_kid_94 on February 11th, 2009, 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#10 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

da_big_kid_94 wrote:
rotodog wrote:He did state "thats all the info available" ..And FT Ab's. So taking the "not enough info" route shouldnt be a an answer...
Why shouldn't it be? Think Gary's setting up a set of projections solely based on the information he provided here? So, if that's all the info, the answer is pass. Flip the script - I just made you responsible for generating a set of projections for the player outlined in this thread - you up for it?

rotodog

#11 Post by rotodog »

da_big_kid_94 wrote:
da_big_kid_94 wrote:
rotodog wrote:He did state "thats all the info available" ..And FT Ab's. So taking the "not enough info" route shouldnt be a an answer...
Why shouldn't it be? Think Gary's setting up a set of projections solely based on the information he provided here? So, if that's all the info, the answer is pass. Flip the script - I just made you responsible for generating a set of projections for the player outlined in this thread - you up for it?
Ahhh heck no.. I need info... But All I was saying is I think he has a reason for being simple.. Nobody in their right mind would try to project from that info...

shif6
Major League Veteran
Preferred Style: 5x5 keeper, auction

#12 Post by shif6 »

I think that 10 has to be considered an outlier. 40 would be wild speculation. I would split the difference between 20 and 30, ending up with 25-27 on the ground that 30 is the most recent information we have.
This leaves me with other unless 20 is 20+ or 30 if I am asked to choose the closest number.

Bodhizefa
Major League Veteran

#13 Post by Bodhizefa »

rotodog wrote: Its a nice exercise in perception if thats what Gary is getting at....
That's what I gathered as well.
I tried to think of the most harmless thing. Something I loved from my childhood. Something that could never ever possibly destroy us. Mr. Stay Puft! We used to roast Stay-Puft marshmallows, by the fire, at Camp Waconda.

viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

#14 Post by viper »

And I have heard to it said that "perception is reality".
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

rotodog

#15 Post by rotodog »

viper wrote:And I have heard to it said that "perception is reality".
Exactly....And this is exactly a players chance to exploit perception to pick up real value.......

#16 Post by Guest »

Since there were a couple of posts in here related to my motivations with the post, I suppose I didn't have a concrete one other than to see if people looked at uptrends and downtrends the same way. And this board has basically evaluated the up and down guys the same way. Whichh means you generally do stick to a method that you mentally evaluate the data. Basically regression between the mean and the prior year.

Again, as I say in the other thread, this is how generally our methodology works, so you should have confidence we're thinking how you think.

As for the comment about not possibly projecting with just that information - we do it all the time. I mean, we have the entirety of their stat line, but ultimately every projection you see out there is an extrapolation of rate stats adjusted as the provider sees fit to a projected # of PA/AB.