7x7 valuations

Theories, Concepts and Analytical Discussion (draft strategies, valuation, inflation, scarcity, etc.)
rotodog

7x7 valuations

#1 Post by rotodog »

Todd or Gary (or anyone else that wants to weigh in)

I just ran an old school "ZOLA" valuation sheet in excel for a 7x7 league.. Troubles and Walks are the extra categories.

The league is also a mixed league with only 12 teams. So its pretty shallow with the standard 14 hitters.

Something seems off to me. While it identifies the most valuable players in a descending order of value in this format, the actual dollar values are low. Hanley Ramirez is #1 at 21 dollars and everyone else descends from there. Top tier talents range in the 17-21 dollar range and a crap load in the 13 dollar range...and so forth.

While the valuations are low, the ranking itself looks normal and all the guys that would be the top talents are indeed the top guys ... I realize the extra categories reduce the dollar per categorie and the money is diluted, but that low?

Jose Reyes is a top 5 guy, but his money is all in the Extra Hits (avg) and SB's .. All other category dollars are worth 1 and 2 bucks for him and to total them gets a 19 dollar valuation just under Hanley's 21.

I think the problem lies in finding replacement value for BB's and troubles. It was done properly and rechecked and rechecked, but something seems amiss....Even the lowest FT scrub gets 22 doubles and 3 triples but a slow footed HR hitter seems to be penalized here... using the sorted totals identifies a rank order to use in context with what the league pays for players, but I am hoping someone can chime in with some reasoning beyond what i already feel.

Shallow- 7 categories- replacements for all 7 cats are tough to truly indentify ...These are the reasons for the valuations.

For Sheeets and giggles I went and looked at last years standings and took the last place teams total in a category and divided by 14 hitters to find a total. Sure as Spit, they were almost identical to the Actual replacement values (ARV) that I had calculated this afternoon....Almost deadly accurate. So I am pretty sure the replacements are as correct as they are going to be....

I am afraid to run pitchers.. BTW, I used .69 hit dollars for the league too..

Any thoughts, comments?

PS: It also felt good to get back in touch with my inner valuation genie...Its been 2 years+ since I have run an old school sheet like that. For standard leagues though, you just cant beat CVRL!!!!! Its Kind of like drafting with paper and pen again! :D

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: 7x7 valuations

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

I'd have to see the sheet, sounds like something other than replacement is off.

Feel free to send it to todd@mastersball.com
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Todd Zola »

Fixed 8-)
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

#4 Post by Guest »

I run my own values every year at least a couple times just to get a feel for replacement by category, etc. Todd's tools are the best but sometimes you have to get around the hood and tinker around.

rotodog

#5 Post by rotodog »

Was a simple Copy and paste error...Todds the BEST..I went nuts for 3 hours after the hour I spent setting it up...

Thats why you got the only 30 bucks I am spending online in 09 for Baseball.....

The Valuations are now In line! Now I must go and find exploitable pockets of value in a weird format that looks exploitable. Will be up until 2 now...just dont tell my wife.! Thanks