ESPN Roster Requirements When Drafting

Theories, Concepts and Analytical Discussion (draft strategies, valuation, inflation, scarcity, etc.)
Kelly_Leak
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 AL-only Auction

ESPN Roster Requirements When Drafting

#1 Post by Kelly_Leak »

Not sure where to post this, but thought it kind of fit in with strategy since it will influence how I draft. I am in a new league this year that will be using ESPN to draft. It is a custome league with some unusual categories and roster make-ups, but the details are unimportant.

Does anyone know if I will be able to draft bench players before filling my active roster? For example (not saying this is my plan), can I draft my starting catcher in the last round? I have done one mock and was able to do this, so I am guessing the answer is 'yes'.

Also, can I move players from where they are placed on my roster by ESPN? For instance, if Adam Dunn is placed at CI and I want him in the OF, can I move him? How? I was not able to do this during the mock.
10 Team 5x5 (OBP) AL-Only; 100 FAAB; *6 Keepers
1C: J.Lucroy; 1B: H.Ramirez; 2B: A.Cabrera; 3B: A.Bregman*; SS: R.Martin; MI: M.Semien; CI: C.Davis; OF: C.Stewart, T.Pham*, C.Mullins, J.Bradley, E.Jimenez*; DH: N.Cruz
10P: K.Herrera, C.Rodon, B.Snell*, J.Junis, H.Strickland, J.Verlander, M.Givens, C.Roe, T.Cahill, L.Giolito
Bench: N.Lowe, V.GuerreroJr*, J.Choi, F.Whitley, A.Hays
DL: F.Lindor*, B.Zimmer, D.Duffy

viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

Re: ESPN Roster Requirements When Drafting

#2 Post by viper »

three years ago, you could draft your three reserves before you took you last catcher [or your only catcher]. However, ESPN requires you to draft a legal lineup so it may restrict you from drafting a specific position in the last rounds if you must have that particular position. Also, where they slot a player during the draft cannot be changed during the draft. If Dunn is slotted at Corner and you wnat him at OF, you were out of luck. Even though ESPN has multiple eligible players, for drafting purposes, they are singulary eligible.

I used to play their standard league for the Uber wars competition. I normally took my catcher as my last pick.
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

Kelly_Leak
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 AL-only Auction

Re: ESPN Roster Requirements When Drafting

#3 Post by Kelly_Leak »

Thanks Mike.

That would explain why when I drafted Carlos Pena (after Dunn was initially placed at CI) he was placed at Util even though I only had 1 OF slot occupied. I have to say, that is a bit frustrating.

In round 25 (last pick), I was only given OF options by ESPN, even though Dunn should have been in the OF -- that was even my intention when I drafted Dunn. I assumed/hoped (like MDC) ESPN would rectify the problem as the mock continued! Oh well, that alters my strategy a little...hmmmmm
10 Team 5x5 (OBP) AL-Only; 100 FAAB; *6 Keepers
1C: J.Lucroy; 1B: H.Ramirez; 2B: A.Cabrera; 3B: A.Bregman*; SS: R.Martin; MI: M.Semien; CI: C.Davis; OF: C.Stewart, T.Pham*, C.Mullins, J.Bradley, E.Jimenez*; DH: N.Cruz
10P: K.Herrera, C.Rodon, B.Snell*, J.Junis, H.Strickland, J.Verlander, M.Givens, C.Roe, T.Cahill, L.Giolito
Bench: N.Lowe, V.GuerreroJr*, J.Choi, F.Whitley, A.Hays
DL: F.Lindor*, B.Zimmer, D.Duffy