What does a Categorical Tier Sheet look like?

Theories, Concepts and Analytical Discussion (draft strategies, valuation, inflation, scarcity, etc.)
brooklyn49
Major League Veteran

What does a Categorical Tier Sheet look like?

#1 Post by brooklyn49 »

The positional tier sheets I've seen are simple to construct two dimensional - "position x $ Value" matrix. What does a Categorical Tier sheet look like?
13 Team, Mixed, Rotisserie League with Daily Transactions
525 IP Limit; 60 Games per position
Hitting: Runs, HR, RBI, SB, BA, Hits, BB, Total Bases, OPS
Pitching: W, SV, ERA, WHIP, K's, HR Allowed, Holds, K/BB, QS

Hitting:
C: O. Narváez 1B: P. Goldschmidt 2B: C. Biggio 3B: M. Muncy SS: M. Semien MI: C. Hernández CI: C. Santana OF: M. Conforto, B. Harper, A. McCutchen, T. Edman Utility: N. Cruz
Pitching:
SP: M. Minor, K. Maeda, C. Martínez, N. Pearson, J. Montgomery, C. Bassitt
CL: H. Neris, N. Burdi, A. Bass
SU: P. Báez, Y. Petit, B. Treinen

Bench: E. Thames, N. Solak, T. Grisham, J. Berti
DL: J. Verlander, S. Oberg

Black Sox
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 Mix

Re: What does a Categorical Tier Sheet look like?

#2 Post by Black Sox »

Viper is probably the one to ask, but the tier sheets are similar, you just want to not only divide the positions into tiers, but also have some type of way of marking where a player is greater than the statistical benchmarks you set ( ie - I want to quickly id any player who stole 20+ bases or 25+ HR as an example ). Like I said Viper is very good at this, and his method was more detailed than I needed, but gave me the framework to create my own. By doing both you can not only see player value by position but also by catagory, ( ie I'll pass on the C.Figgins of the world because if I wait on OF I'll get my SB there ) Hope that helps.
Boston Black Sox
Steve Le Blanc

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Todd Zola »

It is whatever you want it to be so it is useful for you.

I do HR and SB

What I usually do is have an excel sheet with 6 columns, C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF

Then I have breakdowns like

46+
36-45
26-35
16-25
5-15
0-4

The breakdown can be whatever you choose.

Then I list each player, by position, within each tier.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

#4 Post by viper »

This will be my third season using a color coded scheme for skills with each tier. Simple, I have a column which uses a letter grade for HRs, SBs and BA. A score of "C" means average. Adam Dunn is graded at ADD. Top level HRs but under average in steals & average. For the top few tiers [over $24] I don't color code. For my $24-$18 dollar tier, I code the "A" player. We pretty much know the skill for the players ober $18. This scheme is more helpful for $12 and under players.

This lets you see when the top level players in each category dry up. The last "A" level HR hitter is in the $12-$7 tier, Jay Bruce. That tier also has four top level SB players. The $6-$1 tier has two "A" level SB players. There are even two "A" level SB players in the $0-$5 tier.

I guess I could do a count of "A" and "B" players in each tier but I don't see a purpose.
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

#5 Post by viper »

My HR breakdown is similar to Todds. I have a 9 HR range only because its easier having four above and four below the midpoint. I use a 7 SB range. This year I'm rotating around 19HR and 11SBs. The average HR count for the top 210 players using the 180/30 mix for hitters is a bit under 19. It is a bit over 11 for SBs.
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

viper
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by viper »

After my first fast mock draft at MDC, I might just create a tier list specifically for power and speed. It might just be a list of name for players in each tier with that skill. It will be a time saver.

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

Milnertime

#7 Post by Milnertime »

I have been using a color coded system, as well, but my method is a little different, and probably overly complex, to be honest.

I take the entire player list and rank each stat, as well as an overall ranking, 1 through [insert league size here]. Then I take each position and make a list in order of overall rank that includes the rank of each individual stat. Then I divide out each tier in 10% increments and assign a color for each. After that it's pretty simple; I just find all the numbers that fall into each tier and color the background in excel.

I really like the way it allows me to see the player pool. It makes looking for value in a category a lot easier, IMO. It's also pretty valuable in a draft because you can just copy and paste the players you draft and know pretty quickly where you are deficient by looking at the colors.

AllstonRockCity

#8 Post by AllstonRockCity »

viper wrote:My HR breakdown is similar to Todds. I have a 9 HR range only because its easier having four above and four below the midpoint. I use a 7 SB range. This year I'm rotating around 19HR and 11SBs. The average HR count for the top 210 players using the 180/30 mix for hitters is a bit under 19. It is a bit over 11 for SBs.
Just wondering if you've bothered to calculate the average batting average as well.

If you have would you mind sharing it?

Thanks

Captain Hook

#9 Post by Captain Hook »

AllstonRockCity wrote:
viper wrote:My HR breakdown is similar to Todds. I have a 9 HR range only because its easier having four above and four below the midpoint. I use a 7 SB range. This year I'm rotating around 19HR and 11SBs. The average HR count for the top 210 players using the 180/30 mix for hitters is a bit under 19. It is a bit over 11 for SBs.
Just wondering if you've bothered to calculate the average batting average as well.

If you have would you mind sharing it?

Thanks
You want .280+......so to balance off a .240 hitter, you need a .320 hitter etc

viper
Hall of Famer

#10 Post by viper »

I rotate around .280. I consider a hitter as average if he is between 289-271. That is my "C" score in my color coding.

I rotate around 12 in SBs with the "C" being 15-9.

I let runs and RBIs handle themselves.

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

Kelly_Leak
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 AL-only Auction

#11 Post by Kelly_Leak »

viper wrote:I rotate around .280. I consider a hitter as average if he is between 289-271. That is my "C" score in my color coding.
Interesting. When you first described your tiers to me about a month ago I just assumed you converted BA to Extra Hits (like when calculating values). That is what I did when I put my tier sheet together. And now that I think about it and look back at my sheet everyone in the bottom tier has a below average ranking for BA. This probably should not be the case because if I need BA help in the end game a .300 over 250 ABs looks the same as 0.277 over 600 ABs (.260 baseline)...especially if it is a speculative pick.
10 Team 5x5 (OBP) AL-Only; 100 FAAB; *6 Keepers
1C: J.Lucroy; 1B: H.Ramirez; 2B: A.Cabrera; 3B: A.Bregman*; SS: R.Martin; MI: M.Semien; CI: C.Davis; OF: C.Stewart, T.Pham*, C.Mullins, J.Bradley, E.Jimenez*; DH: N.Cruz
10P: K.Herrera, C.Rodon, B.Snell*, J.Junis, H.Strickland, J.Verlander, M.Givens, C.Roe, T.Cahill, L.Giolito
Bench: N.Lowe, V.GuerreroJr*, J.Choi, F.Whitley, A.Hays
DL: F.Lindor*, B.Zimmer, D.Duffy

viper
Hall of Famer

#12 Post by viper »

When I was standardizing the averages, I used around 520. I summed the total ABs for the top 210 offensive players and divided by 210. I did a similar exercise for smaller leagues. I think I even got the standardizing formula in here about four years back.

Guys like Ichiro with many ABs see his .320 average go up to a standardized .330. And Catchers with smaller AB totals don't actually look as bad. CVRC does something like that for all three ratio categories when assigning category dollar values. A .250 average from a 600Ab player has more negative impact than a .240 from a 300AB catcher.

For my coding, I just use raw non-standardized numbers. Close is good enough for fantasy drafting. Same is true for nuclear weapons. I'm amazed at all the time I used to spend trying to calculate things to decimal digits when the data input was essentially darts thrown at a board.

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

lawr
Major League All-Star

#13 Post by lawr »

wow. you guys really truly do all that? i have never even heard of a categorical tier sheet. well, unless you are talking kleenex, but then it is more of a tear sheet.

but really, you guys make lists like that?

viper
Hall of Famer

#14 Post by viper »

I can only speak for myself

pure tiers - no.
But I do color code players in my value tiers based on those schemes.

Some people can look at a name on a sheet and know he is a 30 HR players or a 25 SB player. I admit I cannot. I know Kemp is a 20/20 players but is that 25/20 or 30/20 or 25/25, I don't know. Creating a color coded scheme for those categories is my visual aide.

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

AllstonRockCity

#15 Post by AllstonRockCity »

Thanks Viper, I appreciate it.

you too Perry

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#16 Post by Todd Zola »

I made them once but IIRC, I decided to use my laptop where I could accomplish the same thing by sorting the categorical dollar values.

Lawr -- if you're a good boy, I'll make them for our NFBC draft. After all, we'll need some scrap paper to write notes back and forth.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Trav The Ump

#17 Post by Trav The Ump »

I'm with Viper on this one, I make a list of each position in my tiers and beside them have icons for what they provide. (I am a laptop drafter). I usually use weird stuff that only I know in case someone sneaks a peek at my screen. :mrgreen: Which most try to do cause most everyone knows my tiers cover guys down to AA. Lol.

One of the things I'm big on is getting multi category players. Meaning a guy who can help out a little bit everywhere versus just a SB or HR guy. When it comes down to the #4 or #5 OFer's I can look at my sheet and grab a 3 category guy versus a 1 or 2 simply by a glance. Cause same thing, I can't remember all my projections.

I usually have icons for age too cause I try not to get guys much over their mid 30's being a keeper league.

viper
Hall of Famer

#18 Post by viper »

I'm in three local leagues where laptops are prohibited except for the person keeping the selections. At least those were the rules through last year. At the NFBC you will see owners who try keeping stuff on laptops and, when it is their turn to pick, barely get a hurried selection made in the 60 second allotment of time. This is why you MUST have a partner at the draft table even if his only job is to enter stuff on a laptop.

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#19 Post by Todd Zola »

viper wrote:I'm in three local leagues where laptops are prohibited except for the person keeping the selections. At least those were the rules through last year. At the NFBC you will see owners who try keeping stuff on laptops and, when it is their turn to pick, barely get a hurried selection made in the 60 second allotment of time. This is why you MUST have a partner at the draft table even if his only job is to enter stuff on a laptop.
I strongly disagree with MUST.

I used to do it just fine all by myself, draft or auction.

The reason I switched to paper was not an inability to keep up.

And having done and watched over 50 NFBC drafts live the past 6 years, the majority of laptop users fly solo and don't have any issues.

50 Desert Eagles

#20 Post by 50 Desert Eagles »

Depends on ur uhhhhhhhhhhh laptop skills.....and age :lol:

Trav The Ump

#21 Post by Trav The Ump »

50 Desert Eagles wrote:Depends on ur uhhhhhhhhhhh laptop skills.....and age :lol:

"Nunchuk skills, bow skills, fantasy draft inputting skills...awesome!" In my best Napoleon Dynamite :D

viper
Hall of Famer

#22 Post by viper »

MUST is a bit strong. Let me say VERY HIGHLY recommended

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

Walla Walla

#23 Post by Walla Walla »

I'll admit my IQ isn't high enough to remember every player stat. I actually do what Todd does with HR and SB but I add Avg to it. I also use the projection numbers here. But I don't tie my decisions to them. Every Draft changes the values based on stats. But it does give you a baseline to work from. Todd would like to teach fishing but I'm still trying to get the worm on the hook. :)