A-Rod Draft Status

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
50 Desert Eagles

A-Rod Draft Status

#1 Post by 50 Desert Eagles »

So now that everyone officially knows about A-rod, does this hurt or help his projection? He will catch the devil out of Yankee Stadium for sure. IMO, it might drop his value a bit since he will have to deal with it for the next six months.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: A-Rod Draft Status

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

I knew this would come up eventually...

The rate of performance element of his projection is not going to change. Those who wish to season with anecdotal contentions are obviously free to do so.

THAT SAID....

We were already coming in on the low end of his projections, primarily due to tempering his playing. Not only was his performance elevated in the 3 years in question (though keep in mine he moved to a very hitter friendly park) but he hardly missed an inning. In his time as a Yankee, his playing time has not matched that as a Ranger -- perhaps we now know why.

I have been open about our lower playing time projections for Rodriguez, but allowing for an increase if we see fit later in the spring. Perhaps the best way to state how we will treat it is we are not as likely to increase his playing time as we were last Thursday. His present projection has him at #5 or so. Others have him #1 or #2, so maybe others will just knock him down to where we have him.

Please don't misinterpret this as hinting we knew something, we didn't. All I am saying was we were initially conservative with his playing time based on his track record in NYC, and the fact he is getting a little older.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

cwk1963

#3 Post by cwk1963 »

I don't think it should affect the projection at all. First, Arod has admitted to using between 2001 - 2003; before testing. He has not tested positive since testing has been allowed by the CBA so we have to assume he's been clean. It's not like he's supposed to have been using up until this point and his numbers are artificially inflated. As far as the booing goes; he's going to get booed when he's not doing well at the Stadium whether he is using or not. If he's doing well, the fans will love him. Look at the Bonds' situation. He couldn't do anything wrong in SF. But, once he left there, it was a different situation. Arod was always booed on the road anyway - because he makes so much money and because he's a Yankee; mainly for the latter. What will really be effected (and in a positive way) will be the wallets of whoever is making those Aroid tee shirts that I'll see most people wearing in Fenway on 8/21.

50 Desert Eagles

#4 Post by 50 Desert Eagles »

Nicely put :lol: Your right though, he is #1 or #2 in almost all other papers I have seen....he is good, I don't doubt that at all, buuuuuuuuuuuuuuut this could be a thorn in his side all year....I was just curious of what others thought....I have never had him on a team, so I haven't followed him as much as most people....

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Todd Zola »

I think it is pretty obvious I tend to shy away from anecdotal analysis, but isn't it possible part of ARod's persona the past few years has been due to his knowing the truth? Perhaps now with that burden lifted, he may actually be better? It remains to be seen how he will be treated in the court of public opinion, and I am not comparing these issues, but many have said if Pete Rose were more contrite, his status would be different. If Rodriguez uses this as a platform to further educate and help clean up the game, he may be looked upon in a favorable light. Plus who knows, there are still 103 more names, some of those could help lighten the load in terms of bearing the brunt of public scrutiny as well.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

cwk1963

#6 Post by cwk1963 »

I would argue that the Yankee faithful have been pretty relentless on Arod the past 5 years and he's still performed:

Code: Select all

AB   H   BA   R HR RBI SB
NYY 574 174 .303 119 42 123 21
TEX 621 190 .306 127 52 132 15
While it's true - as Todd pointed out - that his performance was better with TEX (and it could have been PED driven), his line with the Yankees is nothing to shake a stick at. Most of the difference in final stat line can be attributed to - again, as Todd referenced - more playing time in TEX.

cwk1963

#7 Post by cwk1963 »

Todd Zola wrote:I think it is pretty obvious I tend to shy away from anecdotal analysis, but isn't it possible part of ARod's persona the past few years has been due to his knowing the truth? Perhaps now with that burden lifted, he may actually be better? It remains to be seen how he will be treated in the court of public opinion, and I am not comparing these issues, but many have said if Pete Rose were more contrite, his status would be different. If Rodriguez uses this as a platform to further educate and help clean up the game, he may be looked upon in a favorable light. Plus who knows, there are still 103 more names, some of those could help lighten the load in terms of bearing the brunt of public scrutiny as well.
These are VERY good points and, I think, certainly hold a lot of water. Take, for example, Giambi. He didn't make all that much less than Arod and certainly did not come close to producing the way Alex did as a Yankee yet he was not treated nearly as brutally as Arod was when he wasn't performing. He fessed up and was embraced by the fans. The same for Pettitte. Although Pettitte partly gets a bye from the fans because he's a home-grown Yankee. The same can't be said for Giambi, though.

50 Desert Eagles

#8 Post by 50 Desert Eagles »

It's really odd and sad that so many people over the last 9 years have cheated the game so much, everytime I see more proven scandals, I think, Pete Rose must be laughing, sounds crude, but he never once has been proven to try and cheat the game, YES, he broke rules, but not once did he try and lose a game or cheat to get ahead in baseball. The first player I ever remember seeing on the field play was Rose, he had such a dedication to the sport, it was a JOB to him and he took pride in his work, I couldn't see him turning down a 25M contract because he wants something better or taking drugs to try and boost his numbers, sure he might have been an @$$ player similar to Jeff Kent, but at the very least, they didn't cheat the game. This message will self destruct in 5 4 3 2 1 :mrgreen:

rotodog

#9 Post by rotodog »

Todd Zola wrote:I think it is pretty obvious I tend to shy away from anecdotal analysis, but isn't it possible part of ARod's persona the past few years has been due to his knowing the truth? Perhaps now with that burden lifted, he may actually be better? It remains to be seen how he will be treated in the court of public opinion, and I am not comparing these issues, but many have said if Pete Rose were more contrite, his status would be different. If Rodriguez uses this as a platform to further educate and help clean up the game, he may be looked upon in a favorable light. Plus who knows, there are still 103 more names, some of those could help lighten the load in terms of bearing the brunt of public scrutiny as well.
Whoa! As I am reading the responses in this thread about decline and being thin skinned, I was think the same thing Todd. Maybe a weight has been lifted and he is no longer A- Fraud......He will still get booed , but he is still a hell of a talent ..

As a matter of fact, i would be more worried if this thing just lingered behind the scenes all season . He did the right thing today. We as a society are forgiving people. We want to forgive people that seem genuinely sorry. I am sure Arod isnt, but he at least looks and seems like he is.....Pete Rose NEVER looked sorry and to this day I dont think he thinks he did something that wrong.....

But for Arod, this will be addressed in ST and I hope he does what Andy P did. Hold a press conference day 1 of ST and get it all out and move on....ROGER and BARRY could have learned something. I dont mind people that make mistakes, but I Sure s Shhhhhh T hate a liar!

AROD IS A OK in 09

Mosey
Triple-A

#10 Post by Mosey »

I would be worried far more by the fact he is shagging Madonna.

Get ready for a lot more nut grabs this year at the plate.

I mean really she practically ruined Rodman's and what has Guy Ritchie made lately?
Pwning your bitch ass since 1994
Mosey Tm

50 Desert Eagles

#11 Post by 50 Desert Eagles »

Not trying to kick a dying horse, but I caught most of his interview with Peter Gammons, he keeps saying he is ready to move on and he made a mistake....he is now SO glad its out and it bothered him, HOW?!? he never would have said anything except, NO I didn't do any drugs if SI wouldn't have called him and said YOUR CAUGHT!!! I thought he looked more like a guilty 3 year old that peed his pants, he kept looking at the clock and fumbling in his seat like he needed another hit of something....Everyone is ready to now call him a saint and forgive him since he is admitting it, BS BS BS, now if he would have just came out without the PROOF from SI and said I need to tell everyone something....that would have been different. He made a comment that he can't believe that people still believe Canseco's stories, well you know, Canseco is starting to look like more of a truth teller then the guilty ones....I mean he lied many times about roids, now we are to believe him? Everyone knows how Conseco is......Personally, IMO(not again) anyone proved and I mean PROVED to have every done roids should NEVER darken the steps of Cooperstown...including A-Rod and every other proven person....dang that was more then my 2 cents, can I get a refund? :roll:

cwk1963

#12 Post by cwk1963 »

50 Desert Eagles wrote:Not trying to kick a dying horse, but I caught most of his interview with Peter Gammons, he keeps saying he is ready to move on and he made a mistake....he is now SO glad its out and it bothered him, HOW?!? he never would have said anything except, NO I didn't do any drugs if SI wouldn't have called him and said YOUR CAUGHT!!! I thought he looked more like a guilty 3 year old that peed his pants, he kept looking at the clock and fumbling in his seat like he needed another hit of something....Everyone is ready to now call him a saint and forgive him since he is admitting it, BS BS BS, now if he would have just came out without the PROOF from SI and said I need to tell everyone something....that would have been different. He made a comment that he can't believe that people still believe Canseco's stories, well you know, Canseco is starting to look like more of a truth teller then the guilty ones....I mean he lied many times about roids, now we are to believe him? Everyone knows how Conseco is......Personally, IMO(not again) anyone proved and I mean PROVED to have every done roids should NEVER darken the steps of Cooperstown...including A-Rod and every other proven person....dang that was more then my 2 cents, can I get a refund? :roll:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think anyone admitted it until there was some kind of proof or they felt they were caught. That's basic human nature. Yes, Canseco is looking more and more credible each day. Just think how villified he was when he first came out with this. As far as the HOF goes - and I've been very consistent about this - anyone doing PED's does not belong in the HOF as far as I'm concerned. I don't care who they are, NYY or not.

50 Desert Eagles

#13 Post by 50 Desert Eagles »

I agree about the HOF!!! Sure it would suck for A-rod to go another 10 years clean and put up some great HOF stats, but some mistakes in life, you pay for them forever.

roche

#14 Post by roche »

I'm late to this topic but here's my take.
AFraud is going to have a decline in his stats this year. Older, fat new guaranteed contract, Madonna, and most importantly using less steroids now that he's been caught. The MLB testing program is a joke. However, now that AFraud has been caught, he can't really risk getting caught again.
In fact, power may be down all year in the majors.
Buyers beware.

50 Desert Eagles

#15 Post by 50 Desert Eagles »

I disagree somewhat....yes I think his numbers will be down, but he will still be one of the top 10 in baseball(barring injuries) he does have talent, just as others that have taken enhancers....