Chris Carter, 1B/OF OAK

Minor Leaguers, prospects, projects, and suspects.
Kelly_Leak
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 AL-only Auction

Chris Carter, 1B/OF OAK

#1 Post by Kelly_Leak »

Perry, Lawr, or Rob-

I should preface this with I have never seen Carter play...my knowledge is completely driven by milb.com stats. I see good (possibly great) power, a lot of Ks, and a solid OBP in Carter's numbers. I have no clue about his play in the field -- which I know Oakland values higher fairly high.

Looking at Oakland's underwhelming 1B options (Chavez, Barton, and Fox), what are your feelings with Carter getting an opportunity to play for Oakland before September call-ups? He is on their 40 man roster, so no move would be required. Additionally, Oakland has been aggressive with prospects in the past (Carlos Gonzalez, Brett Anderson, and Trevor Cahill initially come to mind). I'm guessing it takes injuries to at least two of Chavez, Barton, Fox, Kouz, and Cust plus decent play at AAA for him to get the call, but part of me (my gut) would not be surprised to see him before the All-Star break.
10 Team 5x5 (OBP) AL-Only; 100 FAAB; *6 Keepers
1C: J.Lucroy; 1B: H.Ramirez; 2B: A.Cabrera; 3B: A.Bregman*; SS: R.Martin; MI: M.Semien; CI: C.Davis; OF: C.Stewart, T.Pham*, C.Mullins, J.Bradley, E.Jimenez*; DH: N.Cruz
10P: K.Herrera, C.Rodon, B.Snell*, J.Junis, H.Strickland, J.Verlander, M.Givens, C.Roe, T.Cahill, L.Giolito
Bench: N.Lowe, V.GuerreroJr*, J.Choi, F.Whitley, A.Hays
DL: F.Lindor*, B.Zimmer, D.Duffy

Captain Hook

Re: Chris Carter, 1B/OF OAK

#2 Post by Captain Hook »

Lawr may have some organizational information on him - I don't right now, but likely will during spring training.

What I can tell you is that defensively despite some improvement last year, he will never be a good defensive first baseman......maybe he could get to adequate with specialized coaching and more experience. Other major league clubs in the AL might be in such a hurry to see his bat play they would DH him, but Billy Beane will explore all options - perhaps including some OF experience for him.

I suspect he starts in AAA despite the progress he made at the plate last year - he struck out much less, walked a little more and worked to cut down on his swing. I think he has a very bright future ahead of him but I doubt we see much of him in the majors (absent a trade) this season.

lawr
Major League All-Star

Re: Chris Carter, 1B/OF OAK

#3 Post by lawr »

perry has it pretty well nailed. although this guy looks like jason giambi. at least his minor league numbers do so far, so if they can translate.

and, i think he will indeed start the year in sacto, and be brought up depending upon how the team does (they would wanna stall off engaging his major league contract and time as long as they can without holding anything back, either).

but, for sure daric barton goes in as the first sacker, and jake fox spells him, ideally, and landon powell both of them.

and, with cust as a DH (and powell and fox, depending upon who is pitching) there probably would not be many opportunities, and i have to think beane and co want carter to get his licks every day.

but, i do like him a lot.