Branyan to Clev. - Who takes biggest hit?

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
whammer
Major League Regular

Branyan to Clev. - Who takes biggest hit?

#1 Post by whammer »

Laporta, Brantley, Pronk?

deansdaddy

Re: Branyan to Clev. - Who takes biggest hit?

#2 Post by deansdaddy »

Out of Spring - I say Laporta - This really is the Indians covering their bases in case LaPorta's hip isn't ready. If Brantley flops and if/when Pronk gets hurt then all will change. These situations tend to clear themselves up - but I'd have to say that LaPorta's got the shortest stick to start the year.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Todd Zola »

I'll say none of the above and suggest it is Marte, with fewer reserve at bats for Kearns and Crowe, with possibly Buscher on the hook as well.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Bodhizefa
Major League Veteran

#4 Post by Bodhizefa »

Todd Zola wrote:I'll say none of the above and suggest it is Marte, with fewer reserve at bats for Kearns and Crowe, with possibly Buscher on the hook as well.
This is my thinking as well. I think there's a harmonious existence to be found with all of LaPorta, Hafner, and Branyan with the Tribe. Hafner and Branyan have some pretty significant injury/durability concerns at this point, and LaPorta can always play the outfield for 20 or 30 games if they want all three in the same line-up against righties.

Good luck to Branyan, by the way. He was my favorite Seattle player to watch at the plate last year -- and yes, that includes Ichiro. He hits no doubters with the best of them.
I tried to think of the most harmless thing. Something I loved from my childhood. Something that could never ever possibly destroy us. Mr. Stay Puft! We used to roast Stay-Puft marshmallows, by the fire, at Camp Waconda.

aburt19
Major League Elite
Preferred Style: AL only 5X5 keeper auction

#5 Post by aburt19 »

Yesterday, there was a report on Rotoworld that the Indian's manager said that Branyan would play almost full time and
that LaPorta would as well in the OF. If he follows through on that, it looks like Brantley will also taking a serious playing
time hit since the outfield would be Choo, Siezmore and LaPorta. I don't think they would carry Brantley as a 4th OF
so that he could play full time in AAA.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Todd Zola »

Yeah, I am adjusting this for the 3/4 update.

Brantley will be up at some point, just not a 400+ PA guy anymore.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Mickey4081

#7 Post by Mickey4081 »

From Rotoworld:
The Indians haven't disclosed where Matt LaPorta will play this season.

"Right now, the focus is on getting me back to 100 percent," said LaPorta, who underwent surgeries on his left hip and left big toe in October. "We can't talk about my position until I'm 100 percent." The Indians haven't said it, but LaPorta seems like a lock to play left field unless new first baseman Russell Branyan suffers an injury. Either way, new skipper Manny Acta said that "what's important" is that the 25-year-old LaPorta gets 500 at-bats.

Captain Hook

#8 Post by Captain Hook »

whammer wrote:Laporta, Brantley, Pronk?
The real answer (most AB) is the loser of the LF job on opening day - either LaPorta or Brantley.....one of them will start the year in AAA so they are playing every day.

....maybe it Should be Hafner, but for now....until he gets hurt or they get tired of poor production he is the DH

....as Todd said, Marte a big loser as well but nobody is/was counting on him for anything...I hope