$125 NFBC Rookie Invitational Satellite League

Find a league to join or post your openings...
deansdaddy

$125 NFBC Rookie Invitational Satellite League

#1 Post by deansdaddy »

THIS LEAGUE HAS BEEN FILLED - Thanks for your interest. If you were unable to grab a spot in this league you can still follow us all season AND join in the conversation right here at Mastersball.

Welcome - I am looking for fantasy players who have thinking about trying their hand in an NFBC league and/or one day competing in the Main Event. I have been given permission by the NFBC to set up this league, to be run on their website, and hopefully bring a little extra to those who choose to participate.

The concept is this - take 10 NFBC Rookies (to qualify as a Rookie - you can never have played in the Main Event or any of the NFBC's Premier Events.) and put them together in a league with a couple competitive, yet helpful, NFBC veterans and let them battle it out for a spot in next year's Main Event.

Along the way, rookie participants will be able to interact with their veteran counterparts weekly via "chats" (following each weeks FAAB results) as well as daily in a thread in a League Forum which will hopefully lead to a season-long discussion about what it takes to compete and succeed in the NFBC's unique 15 team format. If you have ever played in an online NFBC league or any online contest - you know that interaction between competitors is often non-existent. So I am trying this "experiment" as a way to bring a little bit of that "local league" feel to the NFBC. Mike Ladd (viper) has already signed on to play and talk all season long. If you join - you should also have a desire to ask questions, get to know your competitors and overall have fun.

This league will run just like any other NFBC league with ONE exception. While we will not be changing the IP minimums, in the interest of "training" new players to play in the NFBC we will require each owner to leave the draft with at least 6 Starting Pitchers. You can draft them in any rounds you choose and once the season starts you will be free to manage your team however you like.

The date for this draft is set for Sunday March 14 - the exact day is subject to change and time will be determined at a later date by the participants.

If you are interested in this league you can PM me for more details or just go to the NFBC Message Boards and sign up on the league thread.

The sooner we get this league filled up - the sooner we can start talking about preparing to draft. :D
Last edited by deansdaddy on February 19th, 2010, 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawr
Major League All-Star

Re: $125 NFBC Rookie Invitational Satellite League

#2 Post by lawr »

dale-

i will have a satellite team as i am partnering with todd on a couple of others. but...that is too many teams for me. however, i was going to give that slot to one of our writers, so....might have a gunieua pig there.

deansdaddy

#3 Post by deansdaddy »

Hey Lawr - I'll PM you my contact info - anyone you think might have interest you can have them contact me personally.

Thanks,

Ryan Carey

WillRoy
Major League All-Star

#4 Post by WillRoy »

:o

I am in awe.

What a brilliant idea! If I had the money/time left that league would probably become my primary league for 2010. I really really hope you continue this idea for the 2011 season as I would love a chance to get my foot in the door with the NFBC style of play.

What I CAN do for the 2010 season is ask my huge fantasy baseball rolodex of those with as much or more fantasy baseball experience than I if they'd be interested in such a league.

My pops would have a cow if I joined a 4th league (And considering he used to do this for a living that's saying something) BUT kudos to you and Viper for organizing this. And definitely let me know before next season if this could be a go for 2011.

deansdaddy

#5 Post by deansdaddy »

Obviously I'd love to have someone with your enthusiasm involved - but don't want to piss pops off :D

Good luck with your leagues and if we do it again next year I'll pm you.

Ryan C

viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

#6 Post by viper »

WillRoy wrote::o

My pops would have a cow if I joined a 4th league (And considering he used to do this for a living that's saying something) BUT kudos to you and Viper for organizing this. And definitely let me know before next season if this could be a go for 2011.
I'd like to take some credit for this idea but I can't. I too think it is great and will do my part to try and help all those playing.
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by Todd Zola »

yeah Ryan -- great idea, get 12 noobs to sign up so you can fleece them and get a free NFBC entry

8-)
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

rotodog

#8 Post by rotodog »

hey Ladd and Ryan,

Are you two guys hustling us noobs? Actually, its genius!

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#9 Post by Todd Zola »

Ryan and likely Mike as well, if he has been visiting our neighbors "headquarters" know my tongue is so far firmly implanted in my cheek, we will need the jaws of life to extract it.

FWIW, the other two vets, Brian O and Kenny M are both great players and equally great people.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

deansdaddy

#10 Post by deansdaddy »

Todd Zola wrote:yeah Ryan -- great idea, get 12 noobs to sign up so you can fleece them and get a free NFBC entry

8-)
Man my 3 year old daughter just woke me up screaming from a nightmare. I finally got her settled back down and logged on here to check things out.

:lol: - when it comes from someone you know is joking - you can take the comment in stride.

Someone else made a similar comment on the HQ boards - and I reacted pretty defensively.

Honestly - it wasn't the reason for starting the league. I came up with the idea without really ever considering that someone could look at it that way.

But - since I am still looking for a couple more "rookies" I will unveil this surprise here at MB.

If I do somehow win this league, and gain the free entry, I will take the highest ranking rookie to the Main Event as my partner - draft and mange the team with them - and share any potential winnings 50/50. So you've now got two chances to win a trip to the Main Event. :D

I was saving this for when I got the league filled - but now's as good a time as any to unveil it.

deansdaddy

#11 Post by deansdaddy »

The league is now full.

Jim F

#12 Post by Jim F »

deansdaddy wrote:
Todd Zola wrote:yeah Ryan -- great idea, get 12 noobs to sign up so you can fleece them and get a free NFBC entry

8-)
Man my 3 year old daughter just woke me up screaming from a nightmare. I finally got her settled back down and logged on here to check things out.

:lol: - when it comes from someone you know is joking - you can take the comment in stride.

Someone else made a similar comment on the HQ boards - and I reacted pretty defensively.

Honestly - it wasn't the reason for starting the league. I came up with the idea without really ever considering that someone could look at it that way.

But - since I am still looking for a couple more "rookies" I will unveil this surprise here at MB.

If I do somehow win this league, and gain the free entry, I will take the highest ranking rookie to the Main Event as my partner - draft and mange the team with them - and share any potential winnings 50/50. So you've now got two chances to win a trip to the Main Event. :D

I was saving this for when I got the league filled - but now's as good a time as any to unveil it.
Alright well if this rookie wins then the same goes for you for creating the league... Which means, you better win the league or you aren't going.. :|

rotodog

#13 Post by rotodog »

Ryan,

It better be in NY you are drafting, because I wouldnt make it too long in Vegas....

AllstonRockCity

#14 Post by AllstonRockCity »

I second that.

deansdaddy

#15 Post by deansdaddy »

I live in NYC - so if it comes to it - I'll be drafting here.

rotodog

#16 Post by rotodog »

deansdaddy wrote:I live in NYC - so if it comes to it - I'll be drafting here.
great! You hosting the Whole weekend? Like an NFBC HANGOVER movie type of weekend? I love Manhattan...So easy to find trouble , even at 3:30 in the morning!!

mbendar
Major League Veteran

#17 Post by mbendar »

Ryan,
I set up my account when i got home from work - just posting a reply to let you know I'm in. I'm assuming a forum like this will be what we use throughout the season.

Mark

deansdaddy

#18 Post by deansdaddy »

Yes indeed mark - welcome - I should be talking to JP next week about it.