Strategies for my terrible keeper list

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
joshdts

Strategies for my terrible keeper list

#1 Post by joshdts »

So, I crapped the bed trying to win last season in my 12 team mixed roto, $300 cap. Didnt happen. In the process, I dealt some pretty dang good keepers...Mauer at $21, Tommy Hanson at $1(uggh) and a few others I want to forget.

So, I have to keep 5...its a tough list...these are the guys I think are a possibility.

R Martin $10
V-Mart $29
Figgins $15
Abreu $17
Borbon $10
Rajai Davis $10
Ichiro $32
Morgan $10
Neftali Feliz $10

Obviously I have a lot of speed and pretty good avg. One thing I can think of to put together a good season is go after avg, runs and SB. Then put about $150 into pitching and like Costanza, do the opposite of most and invest heavily in pitching.

Drafting a few studs(then dealing) and getting some good price speculations at the draft is another but I would really rather not play for 2011.

I dont think I have enough of an offensive foundation to get enough hitting to have a nice balanced team, or if I did, I would have to spend $291 on hitting. Which I did last year and if I wasnt such a micro manager it would have worked.

Im one of the top 2 or 3 most active guys in my league so I often get it on the good SPs.

Any ideas?

lawr
Major League All-Star

Re: Strategies for my terrible keeper list

#2 Post by lawr »

well, the words rebuilding pop into my head. but, i actually enjoy that process.

but, you do have some stuff to work with.

for sure i would keep morgan, borbon, and feliz. they are all priced right, and they are potentially guys you could deal, depending upon, for solid value (you might even be able to deal one or two now for something).

then, i would keep martin. he would cost that much and he is better than last year.

leaving one slot, and i would give that to figgins.

the other thing about this list is it only ties up about $55 bucks, giving you maximum flexibility during the draft to pursue other point avenues.

AllstonRockCity

#3 Post by AllstonRockCity »

I agree with Lawr, but I do like Abreu at $17 in this format.

Abreu will provide a better AVG and RBI/Run totals than those 2 jackrabbits, while only sacrificing 10 steals off of their projected totals. With a $300 format, $17 looks like a good value

I'd try to keep him and maybe deal 1 of borbon/morgan (whoever fetches more) as they will provide nearly identical stat lines to each other.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

Couple of my thoughts, some general, some specific.

In a shallow, 12-team mixed league, I would not head into the year in rebuilding mode as there is justtoo much talent available. Different story in a deeper league, but that's for a different post.

That said, I WOULD NOT go with a gimmick like heavy on the starting pitching or all SB and BA, no power as someone will hit on all cylinders and compete in every category, especially if dump trades are allowed and they must be as you dealt to compete last season.

I think your list is screaming stars and scrubs on hitting and risk taking on pitching. I would pay the premium for the available boppers and fill in the back end with high upside $1 players. If the plan fails, you have some studs to deal and maybe you get Hanson back 8-)

Maybe you get a keeper from the $1 group.

And best case, it does not fail and you deal the $1 keeper for help this season.

On the pitching side, there are a shipload of high risk, high reward pitchers that fit the profile of what you need.

Harden, Sheets, Webb, even Johan.

This is just my opinion. i don't want to give up on Feb 10, but I do need to think out of the box to compete. In a keeper league, punting categories does not work, so I need to find a different box. I choose the one labeled "FLAMMABLE - HIGH RISK, HIGH REWARD"
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

rotodog

#5 Post by rotodog »

R Martin $10
V-Mart $29
Figgins $15
Abreu $17
Borbon $10
Rajai Davis $10
Ichiro $32
Morgan $10
Neftali Feliz $10

I agree with todds sentiments 100% In a shallow league, you can compete with crap as keepers as long as it isnt a 12 keeper league or something where there isnt any player to buy!

Is it a 2 catcher league? If so, I might consider keeping V mart...29 seems like a lot, but you have a 300 cap...so its not a out of line with a little inflation tossed in.. If it is a 1 catcher league, then toss em back...if its 1 catcher, then Martin isnt a keeper either..

SO now, whats left?

Morgan
Abreu
Bourbon
Figgins
Vmart

Thats 80 bucks! And you now do not have to worry about AVG and Sbs..You have a catcher that will actually contribute to AVG too..

Now go Buy the best Bangers you can with your money! Buy a few Big time bangers ..then Fill in with the Cody Rosses and Juan riveras of the world on the cheap.....

Buy a couple Solid Anchor type pitchers...Not Tim Lincecum, but Solid Non ratio killing tier two guys. Then fill in the rest with the upside guys that a 12 team league is littered with.....

You can compete with this roster. Maybe even win if you do it right..No rebuild needed here....And if you are out of it early, You can then swap your BIG BANGERS you bought to dumpers to reload.. Buy Big and play to win!

Just remember, you need bangers here! Dont just look at dollar value when bidding . Players like Dan Uggla and Ian Stewart are good players for your team and the world may be down on them..You can absorb the AVG hits.
When looking at Value, realize how much of a players value is tied to Sbs.. If A decent Bat is projected to swipe 10,15 or 20 bags and his value is 10 bucks more than Dunn, realize that DUNN fits your team better and you need the HRs and RBis.....You cant buy a whole team of Dunns, Ugglas, stewarts and Kouzmanoffs, but they should come cheaper than some of the more expensive counterparts at respective positions and better suited for your team to use..

You could easily roster 4 of those Lower avg Sluggers as long as you grab a little more BA from say your 2 dollar catcher named Yadier and elsewhere..

lawr
Major League All-Star

#6 Post by lawr »

Z is correct in that the league is shallow, and rebuilding kind of becomes moot.

but, with my model, that gives you steals and ideally some youthful bargains. h

z is also right there will be cheap bargains at the end, so....that means you can spend $50 on the hanleys or arods or alberts not frozen.

joshdts

#7 Post by joshdts »

wow, very nice replies, thank you.

checking on the projections for a 12 team mixed, the only guys who are out of line for price is Ichiro. Looks like I am overvaluing him too much. I always tell my friends dont go for the name, go for the stats. I could probably get a Matt Kemp this year for around $5-10 more with way more HR and RBI, plus perhaps even more SBs and not that shabby of an avg.

According to the MB projections, if you factor in my cap of $300, V-Mart is only a $1 too much. I wont have too many options at C in my league and I love the idea of a catcher who will probably play 145-150 games at a high level.

So if I go with the 2 C's, I like Figgins even though he provides no power at CI.

Then Abreu makes 4.

I dont think I could keep all three of Borbon, Morgan and Davis as I would dominate SBs but no power, especially with Figgins. I think Rajai would be the man out with his skeptical avg.

Is Figgins a guy I try to trade or perhaps not even keep at all? He is the lowest valued guy according to the MB projections...maybe like Ichiro I am just enamored with the name and not really taking a closer look at the stats...

kjduke

#8 Post by kjduke »

rotodog wrote: SO now, whats left?

Morgan
Abreu
Bourbon
Figgins
Vmart

Thats 80 bucks! And you now do not have to worry about AVG and Sbs..You have a catcher that will actually contribute to AVG too..
These are the 5 that jumped out at me too.

joshdts

#9 Post by joshdts »

Well, I moved a few guys today,

Figgins $15
Morgan $10
Ichiro $32(I was leaning towards not keeping any of them, perhaps only just Figgins but having a CI who only hits a couple HRs is tough)

for
Asdrubal Cabrera $10
Nate McLouth $10

Not only did I lower my cap commitment $5 I think I got better balanced players. So now I will be rolling with:

Martin
V Mart
A Cabrera
Abreu
Borbon
McLouth.