PAUL

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
rotodog

PAUL

#1 Post by rotodog »

One PAUL specific question and I ask here because i have no idea where to post it. Maybe as PAUL users increase you can make a PAUL thread permanent...

If I remember right, you added added HR/9 a couple years ago when you first introduced PAUL, but before you did, you either explained to me how to alter the formula so the the K category reflected HR/9 or you modified it and sent it back to me....Not sure which, but I seem to remember altering it myself. I am fairly well versed in excel and I need a K/BB ratio category instead of either of the choices now. The projection files have k and BB so would it be easy to modify the formula myself so that it replaces one of the other choices? IF it is fairly easy, could you tell me how. The formulas themsleves are easy. With the MAcros and such, i didnt know if their was something i can screw up....
Thanks

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: PAUL

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

I have an idea how to do this -- I want to test it first. Give me a day or two, I am crunching out some supplementary Platinum material.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

rotodog

#3 Post by rotodog »

Thanks Todd..

Actually, It wasnt paul that I did this in now that I remember. It was the original Valuation excel sheet BP (before PAUL)....

I could set up one of those old sheets with you projections, but it would take me an hour or more to do it again if it was even posted how to do it...

So any help would be great..

brooklyn49
Major League Veteran

#4 Post by brooklyn49 »

rotodog wrote: I am fairly well versed in excel and I need a K/BB ratio category instead of either of the choices now. The projection files have k and BB so would it be easy to modify the formula myself so that it replaces one of the other choices? IF it is fairly easy, could you tell me how.
Thanks
There was some traffic on the forum last year on what the formula would be for "Extra K/BB" but the equation I recall just doesn't seem logical to me anymore. Can someone help?
13 Team, Mixed, Rotisserie League with Daily Transactions
525 IP Limit; 60 Games per position
Hitting: Runs, HR, RBI, SB, BA, Hits, BB, Total Bases, OPS
Pitching: W, SV, ERA, WHIP, K's, HR Allowed, Holds, K/BB, QS

Hitting:
C: O. Narváez 1B: P. Goldschmidt 2B: C. Biggio 3B: M. Muncy SS: M. Semien MI: C. Hernández CI: C. Santana OF: M. Conforto, B. Harper, A. McCutchen, T. Edman Utility: N. Cruz
Pitching:
SP: M. Minor, K. Maeda, C. Martínez, N. Pearson, J. Montgomery, C. Bassitt
CL: H. Neris, N. Burdi, A. Bass
SU: P. Báez, Y. Petit, B. Treinen

Bench: E. Thames, N. Solak, T. Grisham, J. Berti
DL: J. Verlander, S. Oberg

rotodog

#5 Post by rotodog »

brooklyn49 wrote:
rotodog wrote: I am fairly well versed in excel and I need a K/BB ratio category instead of either of the choices now. The projection files have k and BB so would it be easy to modify the formula myself so that it replaces one of the other choices? IF it is fairly easy, could you tell me how.
Thanks
There was some traffic on the forum last year on what the formula would be for "Extra K/BB" but the equation I recall just doesn't seem logical to me anymore. Can someone help?
I was retired lat year and do not remember, but upon looking thru my hardrive, I found some saved PAUL values and the 06 version of my old excel sheet I made up to generate the values for HR/9 that I made before PAUL did.... I can not remember how I did it....If I spend some time re reading the "how to value payers" piece todd has written in the past, I think i can figure it out. I have found when I play in HR/9 or K/bb leagues instead of using K's, most people never figure out how to truly value pitchers and they overpay based on standard K values and undervalue certain types of non STUD k type pitchers....I represents a HUGE opportunity if you can properly value these pitcher categories...

viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

#6 Post by viper »

my modification was easier. several of my leagues use IP's instead of K's. an easy swap
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by Todd Zola »

K/9, HR/9 and BB/9 should be straightforward, there was a little different twist for K/BB. I have the values I did for brooklyn, I just can't fine the AVC I used to generate them.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by Todd Zola »

I am working on a CVRC tutorial now, though it won't specifically deal with K/BB.

rotodog

#9 Post by rotodog »

Todd Zola wrote:K/9, HR/9 and BB/9 should be straightforward, there was a little different twist for K/BB. I have the values I did for brooklyn, I just can't fine the AVC I used to generate them.
You are right. i just re-looked at an old sheet from an NL league in 06 or 07 where I calculated my own hr/9. They are easy to calculate by findiing the amount of the ratio stat in extra's.... But is the problem with K/BB that you need to not only find the extra k's and the bb's in the same calculation and then value them?