Category Values for League with Non-Traditional Categories?

Ask questions or post comments concerning the CVRC, START or the Team and Player Tracker
gmatles
Major League Regular

Category Values for League with Non-Traditional Categories?

#1 Post by gmatles »

Todd,

I'm in a 5x5, NL-only league that uses the following scoring categories-

Hitting: HR, RP (R+RBI-HR), OBP, 2B+3B, and Net SB
Pitching: K, NW, NSV, ERA and WHIP

While the CVRC can't compute these values for me automatically I've become pretty proficient at using MB's projections and calculating player values on Excel using MB's methodology. In the past I've valued the categories this way:

Hitting: HR 1.2, NSB 0.8, and RP, OBP, 2B+3B at 1.0 each
Pitching: each category at 1.0

Here's my question. I've noticed that for 2010 you've changed the CVRC hitting category distribution for leagues with more standard scoring categories to: HR 1.35, SB .75, BA .80, RBI 1.1, R 1.0. Do you recommend that I reflect these changes for my hitting categories and if so, how?

GM

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Category Values for League with Non-Traditional Categories?

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

Actually, with a little formula work and copy/paste, you can get the CVRC to handle those categories. You would have to calculate RP and paste it into R (or RBI) then do the conversion for either BA or OBP yourself and paste it into what you did not use for RP. That said, if you are proficient doing the "old way", that way is a little better.

To address your cat weights question, when I produce values for the site, I have to approach things in a global sense. Most leagues use a 69/31 split, so I use it for the global values.

But if your league uses 67/33, then you should change it.

The same holds true for category weights. I made HR=1.2 and SB=.8 because of the distribution of the stats in most leagues.

I have altered it again as the statistical pool is changing. There are fewer HR hit, but it is still as important as ever to fare well in the category, so I pumped it up. There are more steals now, availability is higher so I ramped that down even further. Batting average is unstable and I decided that we should not pay as much for something not so reliable and use those assets elsewhere.

What I am saying in a typical, long-winded fashion is what is best to do is design the settings to best emulate what your league does. You may want an idea of what is "theoretically right" as well as how your league does things so you can exploit market deficiencies. Or is that market inefficiencies. Or is it both?
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

#3 Post by viper »

set up with OBP replacing BA
in the HR category out Hr
in the R column put (R+RBI+HR)
in the SB column put SB-CS
In the RBI column put 2B+3B

in wins put W-L
is Save column put S-BS

put actual numbers and not the formula

calculate the number in another cell the do a cut followed by a PasteSpecial with the Value option
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

gmatles
Major League Regular

#4 Post by gmatles »

Todd & Viper,

Thanks for showing me how and where to input the values for RP, D+T, NSB, NW, & NS...makes my life much easier to have this done automatically.

Gary

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Todd Zola »

I missed the fact it is OBP instead of BA -- that can be done with the pull down.

I assume you know "paste special - values"

All you need to do is set up a formula to the right and then copy, paste special-values into the column (R/RBI/SB/HR) and you're all set.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

gmatles
Major League Regular

#6 Post by gmatles »

Todd,

I totally understand your rationale for changing the category weights (i.e., HR's are less plentiful, SB are more plentiful, and BA is comparatively unstable).

In terms of pitching it seems to me that, in general, because of factors such as lack of run support, faltering bullpens, etc., that Wins would be the most unstable pitching category. And, if a league, like the one I'm in, uses Net Wins the category would be even more unstable.

First, would you agree with my assumptions? Second, would you recommend decreasing the weight I give to the New Win category while increasing the weight given K's, ERA, WHIP and Net Saves?

Gary

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by Todd Zola »

Gary -- I have often thought about what to do with weights for pitching but have opted to leave them as I don't think it will alter the overall value that much. On paper, the principle is the same. Though I think the more applicable comparison is hitter average to pitcher ERA. There is some team dependent element of runs and RBI as well, which to me is more like wins.

The reason I don't think it matters is the effect will be spread in a fairly uniform manner, whereas altering steals and HRs will have a global effect of enlarging the difference between a power guy and a speed guy.

I'm not even sure how much reducing average matters, unless the player is Joe Mauer.