Can CVRC Be Operated With Excel Proficiency?

Ask questions or post comments concerning the CVRC, START or the Team and Player Tracker
blue

Can CVRC Be Operated With Excel Proficiency?

#1 Post by blue »

Unfortunately I am dinosaur like in my lack of knowledge of Excel, i.e. I've never used it even once. Does this preclude me from using CVRC? I've tried on several occasions to use the system but get stopped each time on the "macros" command. I want to adapt the Mastersball projections to my league specs, 14 TM, NL only, 5 x5, standard positions, 69-31 hitter/pitcher split, 10% inflation, but am intimidated by my lack of excel ability. What to do other than just use the posted projections and adjust them myself.

Steve

AllstonRockCity

Re: Can CVRC Be Operated With Excel Proficiency?

#2 Post by AllstonRockCity »

do you have a Mac or a PC?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Todd Zola »

Jumping to the end, I can easily input your league specs and generate whatever you need.

With that said, if you are indeed using a Mac, the macros will not work, sorry.

But with some intermediate Excel acumen, I can work you through making it be functional.

Without said acumen, like I said, I can generate whatever you need, customized to your league specifications.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

blue

#4 Post by blue »

Todd,

I have a PC.

Your help is appreciated. Tell me what other data points you would need in addition to the ones already mentioned. I can add that we buy 2 catchers at auction as part of our otherwise standard league, 9 pitchers, there are no reserve rosters, its a keeper league with as previously mentioned about 10% inflation and minor leaguers, i.e guys who start the season in the minor leagues, are not eligible to be bought at auction. Minor leaguers like the Heyward and Strausburgs of the world who otherwise would attract $$$ at auction are not eligible if not on the final 25 man 'go north' rosters. We auction the day the season starts so final rosters are known by then.

Let me know any other helpful data points.

Thanks again.

Steve

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Todd Zola »

We may need JP's help with respect to the macros, but they should work. Do you have your security set to accept macros? What is the exact issue you are having?

If you prefer I just generate values, I can do that.

But I thought we may be able to give it the old college try with respect to making it work for you first.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

cwk1963

#6 Post by cwk1963 »

What version of Excel are you using? If it's 2007, just below the toolbar at the top there will be a little icon of a shield and next to it it will say Security Warning Macros have been disabled. Next to that will be a button that says Options... Click that and a window will open that says Security Alert - Macro. A little more than halfway down the window there will be an option that says Enable this content. Choose that and then click OK at the bottom. The macros will now work.

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

First, blue ...may I commend you on your honesty - takes a certain kind of individual to admit a lack of knowledge...especially on THESE boards. :lol: :lol:

It may be obvious, but not stated - I did not see where you said you had Excel installed on your PC. May be a ridiculous question - but do you? If not, then the CRVC program is not a self contained app and needs Excel to function.

However, if you DO have Excel installed (and the macros are enabled, as cwk pointed out) - for the most part - all you will have to do is supply the input and let the program do the rest. These guys have been tweaking these spreadsheets over the years and they've become quite proficient at them - the fact that they have Rob back doesn't hurt - and there are enough folks with Excel acumen on the boards that they can probably answer any question you might have. So, don't be intimidated. Good luck.

14 team NL only auction, EH? MY kinda league!
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams