MB'09 Delmon Young

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
RandyKutcherHair

MB'09 Delmon Young

#1 Post by RandyKutcherHair »

Does Delmon build off his moderate success in the 2nd half of the '08 season and start to realize his much hyped potential or is Delmon just the average player he has shown to be thus far in his career?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: MB'09 Delmon Young

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

Stay tuned, subscribers will find out very soon :mrgreen:

Okay, okay -- let's just say if you own Delmon Young in a keeper/dynasty format, you may finally be rewarded, and it could be sooner than later.

He is one of my partner's guys to watch this season, I'll let him embellish.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

#3 Post by Guest »

Todd's being nice.

I love him. Todd isn't as confident. I have no problem admitting I'm wrong if I am.

I just see a three year history that's really, really good for a kid as young as he is. It's so easy to get caught up in the hype of Baseball America and scouting and all that. His power needs to fill in some. But there's 5 category talent here and he's 24. Most 24 year olds are flashing a couple of those categories, not all five of them.

But yes, I know the G/F stuff and its possible Im just irrationally exuberant here.

RandyKutcherHair

#4 Post by RandyKutcherHair »

Wow, Gary you sound over the moon about Delmon this year. I am actually in trade talks with a guy thinking of moving my Delmon for his Morneau with some other minor moving parts. I read Shandler's Forcaster projections for this year and they basically looked the same as last year.

#5 Post by Guest »

Over the moon is probably right. I may be a moonbat here.

Assuming no salary or other considerations you have to do Morneau for Young because Young is hoping to get where Morneau already is. You'll never get me to suggest turning down a surer thing for a possible thing unless the payoff is huge. I suspect you'll find our value to be about $5 more for Morneau than Young.

Our projection won't be that much higher than what he's already done, but my point is that you don't get many 24 year olds whose full three year history completely supports a 20+ dollar valuation in AL leagues with plenty of room for upside, and yet he's a disappointment in many eyes. This is more a perception thing than it is me thinking he's Willie Mays.

cwk1963

#6 Post by cwk1963 »

Just heard on XM today that the Twinkies are looking to trade Delmon. Can they be that impatient???

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by Todd Zola »

He's been on the block for awhile -- Gomez/Span/Cuddyer/Kubel/Young for 4 spots.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

RandyKutcherHair

#8 Post by RandyKutcherHair »

GaryJ wrote:Assuming no salary or other considerations you have to do Morneau for Young because Young is hoping to get where Morneau already is. You'll never get me to suggest turning down a surer thing for a possible thing unless the payoff is huge. I suspect you'll find our value to be about $5 more for Morneau than Young.
Definitely a salary issue. In this AL Only league we use real player's salaries. Morneau is scheduled to make approximately 09:$11.6M, 10:$15M, 11:$15M, 12:$15M, 13:$15M while I believe Delmon is going to arbitration after making $1.44M with the Twins after finishing his original 5 year contract last year. Offensive coring in this league is BA, HR, RBI, OPS, R, SB/CS, TBBB.