Free Agents

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
Tig

Free Agents

#1 Post by Tig »

This is crazy. I dont think Ive ever seen things so "clouded" this close to reporting.

With just a couple weeks before pitchers and catchers report, there are still over 100 free agents out there. Including some "bigger" names.

Everyday these players remain unsigned, you have to think their asking price goes down.

Manny has to be kicking himself/wanting to kill Boras for demanding the trade last year/turning down the Dodgers offer

Varitek and Pettitte, both of whom are now signed, have to feel like idiots for not accepting the offers they were given earlier on. Instead having to settle for "scraps".

So, where do they all end up? Will we see a rush of signings in the next 2 weeks or will they slowly trickle in?

cwk1963

Re: Free Agents

#2 Post by cwk1963 »

I'm not sure of the date but I still think there is a deadline when teams have to submit 40 man rosters to the league office. If so, it has to be by then unless they can DL someone and add someone else or release someone.

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

Re: Free Agents

#3 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Actually, cwk1963 - that date has come and gone - it's December when the 40 mans have to be in - just prior to the Rule 5 draft. It's needed because teams with a full 40 man roster can not participate in the Major League level of the rule 5.

and BTW ...Welcome back,Tig (Bench).

I think you have to look at two things - currently open jobs (i.e. - Twins 3B) or guys who are merely place holders until something better comes along (Edgar Gonzalez, SD 2B). Then look at the rotations and bullpens as they currently stand - and the guys who fill those roles are the ones more likely to find employment in the next two weeks.

As for the "studs" (Manny, Dunn, any other OF types) - a quick look around the majors shows there isn't a team that could not field a complete OF as their roster stands right now. They may not be great - but anyone they sign is going to have to be an improvement over who they have - not just fill an empty slot.

And I must give credit to the Yankees for trotting out the quota excuse. Boras must be flipping out knowing he doesn't have a Yankee card in his deck anymore.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams