Which pitcher would you toss to the curb?

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
Bodhizefa
Major League Veteran

Which pitcher would you toss to the curb?

#1 Post by Bodhizefa »

I can keep all but one of these pitchers in a dynasty H2H format (5x5). Which one would you toss and why?

Hiroki Kuroda, LAD
Jonathan Sanchez, SF
Kevin Slowey, MIN
Carlos Zambrano, CHC

For the full picture, the make-up of the rest of my staff is as follows:

Felix Hernandez
Chris Carpenter
John Lackey
Jonathan Broxton
Joe Nathan
Rafael Soriano
Chad Qualls
I tried to think of the most harmless thing. Something I loved from my childhood. Something that could never ever possibly destroy us. Mr. Stay Puft! We used to roast Stay-Puft marshmallows, by the fire, at Camp Waconda.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Which pitcher would you toss to the curb?

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

Zambrano because he would make the best noise when he hit the pavement.

Lame attempts at jokes aside, I suspect that 'long-term' is not part of the equation, even in a dynasty as you will have an eye on upgrading this keeper spot.

Our rankings have Slowey, Kuroda and Zambrano basically the same with Sanchez a little further down.

But if you can stream at all, I think I would bump Z-Man, since you can extract some good home starts from Sanchez and he does have the possibility of being a keeper so you can look to replace Kuroda down the line.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Bodhizefa
Major League Veteran

#3 Post by Bodhizefa »

Isn't it strange to you to see Zambrano is only 28 years old? Doesn't it seem like his arm has the mileage on it of a 38-year-old?!
I tried to think of the most harmless thing. Something I loved from my childhood. Something that could never ever possibly destroy us. Mr. Stay Puft! We used to roast Stay-Puft marshmallows, by the fire, at Camp Waconda.

AllstonRockCity

#4 Post by AllstonRockCity »

Bodhizefa wrote:Isn't it strange to you to see Zambrano is only 28 years old? Doesn't it seem like his arm has the mileage on it of a 38-year-old?!
and that right there is why I too vote for Zambrano. I just feel his best days are behind him. also, Kuroda and Slowey are 2 guys I think surprise some people this year. both showed flashes of breaking out last year but battled injuries. if they stay healthy all year good things will happen.

lawr
Major League All-Star

#5 Post by lawr »

i would probably drop or trade slowey, not that i don't like him, but he is coming back from major surgery and even if he is ready opening day, well, it takes a good year to get back into the groove post surgical.

i really like carlos, despite all the yaks all around. because he is only 28. one of the things i wrote about randy johnson this week was that i always shied away from him because i always feared his back or arm would give me grief, and it always seemed like he was going to fall apart. and, he never did. i think carlos lives with a similar stigma.

as for sanchez, he stepped it up last year, and i have every reason to think he will improve more this. he truly has the filthiest stuff on the giants. nastier than lincecum. but, obviously, timmy is a much better "pitcher."

not much opinion on kuroda, but likely he will begin the season in better basic ready to go shape than slowey.

and, this is again like having a quarterback controversy. when you have four pretty good arms and you have to get rid of one, that is a nice place to be. better than having one good arm and having to gamble on four others.

NateinSpringfield

#6 Post by NateinSpringfield »

drop sanchez, he is still a year away from taking the next step

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by Todd Zola »

re: Slowey, I keep forgetting he had wrist surgery, probably because it was not elbow or shoulder surgery.

re: Sanchez, I don't agree with the year away sentiment, primarily because he is already 27 and has had 2 straight seasons of stable skills. His issue is a high walk rate. I guess my point is he may be "what-you-see-is-what-you-get". or he could walk fewer and take the next step. But there is no reason to believe that if that happens, it will be 2010, 2011, 2012 or whenever. If he were 22, yeah, maybe I would suggest the control downward spike is coming, but he is 27. So I count on the guy we have seen the past 2 seasons, who when deployed strategically is an effective starter, especially in H2H. And if the BB-rate declines...YAHTZEE!!!!
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

NateinSpringfield

#8 Post by NateinSpringfield »

Just a couple reasons why I think Sanchez is a year away even though his age is north of 25

-- Hasn't hit the 500 inning mark in the MLB yet - he should hit that this year
-- Even though his WHIP improved his walk rate bb/9 didn't
-- He probably will hit the 200 inning mark this year, which he hasn't hit yet in his career, making me think second half fatigue could set in.

Just my thoughts, could be off the mark, but thats why I think he is a year away.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#9 Post by Todd Zola »

Thoughts well taken.