Which players are better? Bully Hitting? SP magic?

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
50 Desert Eagles

Which players are better? Bully Hitting? SP magic?

#1 Post by 50 Desert Eagles »

Looking ahead to upcoming draft and wanting to start now with some questions for all the guru's, nerds and experts out there. :ugeek:
20 Team, 7x7 Mixed, second season, 4 keepers,
Offensive categories: R, H, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OBP
Pitching categories: W, L, Hld, SV, K, ERA, WHIP
23 man roster
Hitting Positions = C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, UTIL, UTIL
Pitching Positions = SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P
Bench Slots = 4
2 DL slots
4 Keepers per teams.
My Keepers are Ichiro, Braun, Markakis and Pedroia.

I have 3 of the first 10 picks in the draft. Questions are: WHO do I snag asap?

1. Top Bats left on the board(value based on the projections of this GREAT site in the mix 15 format.

Abreu, Bobby OF $22
Hill, Aaron 2B $21
Lee, Derrek 1B $20
McLouth, Nate OF $19
Victorino, Shane OF $19
Upton, B.J. OF $18
Ibanez, Raul OF $18
McCutchen, AndrewOF $18
Kubel, Jason OF $18
Pence, Hunter OF $18
Rios, Alexis OF $16
Ramirez, Aramis 3B $16
Bartlett, Jason SS $16
Stewart, Ian 2B $16
Pena, Carlos 1B $16

Now my first thought is I need more Power bats. Soooooooo my first thought is Derek Lee first(but is he too old and risky?) Since I have 3 OF, I see power there, but not sure I need more then one more solid OF.... Stewart and Pena at the bottom have the MOST power numbers, but a price value drop as well(plus an avg drop, but with Ichiro's high avg, it could offset)
2. Of the 80 keepers taken, 18 were SP's.....so there is still plenty out there, but there is one that wasn't taken that a great value of $24. Should I try and steal him in my first three picks if noone else does? I have never taken a SP early, but it looks decent. Here are some SP's left.

Vazquez, Javier A $24
Rivera, Mariano A $18
Hamels, Cole N $17
Broxton, Jonathan N $17
Johnson, Josh N $17
Harden, Rich A $16
Soria, Joakim A $16
Bell, Heath N $16
Shields, James A $15
Lilly, Ted N $15
Dempster, Ryan N $15
Rodriguez, Wandy N $15
Gallardo, Yovani N $14
Weaver, Jered A $13
Nolasco, Ricky N $13

Now Vazquez looks great to be left, when Kershaw was taken, but how risky is it? Another thought though, I Also have 3 picks in the second round, I thought about waiting on any SP at all until then.

So what do you all think??? Bully hitting tough and 6 bats early, maybe 4 bats and 2 sp's? How Risky is Derek Lee? Any names on here I should target more or less with my keepers? HELLLLLLLLLLP!!!! Thanks to all!!! This forum is the best! ok, and Todd Zola rocks!

cwk1963

Re: Which players are better? Bully Hitting? SP magic?

#2 Post by cwk1963 »

You're right, you need power. I would go Pena since you have Iciro and would consider Aram after. If you get them maybe go SP wth you're third pick in the first round or wait until round 2.

Hambowen

#3 Post by Hambowen »

Your team makeup certainly changes things.

My top 3 of what is left would be Vazquez, hill, mcclouth.

However for your team:

1. Vazquez - He is a top starter and you can build staff around him. Even though you don't like pitchers early he is probably too good to pass up based on other options. Also think some of those other starters get hurt by a league with losses as cat.
2. Carlos Pena - You need power and you have the BA to carry him in your keepers.
3. Aramis Ramirez - My guess is 3b has big drop off from him and would grab him.

50 Desert Eagles

#4 Post by 50 Desert Eagles »

Pena over Lee? Simply based on Age? I figured cubs fans would flock and say LEE LEE LEE.....

drapes

#5 Post by drapes »

Cubs fan here, so mad DLee love is a given.

That said, they're right. You need Pena more than Lee. Remember the projections are only a guide, and that being the case, DLee is only worth $4 more than Pena.

BUT - you need power, and if you look at the category values, Pena is worth almost $5 more than Lee in HR ($11.08 for Pena - which happens to be identical to some guy named Teixeira - vs $6.64 for Lee).

If Pena goes before you get him, then you take Lee, but from a needs and accumulating stats stand point, Pena is the pick for you at 1B.

After that I like Hill and Vazquez for you.

cwk1963

#6 Post by cwk1963 »

50 Desert Eagles wrote:Pena over Lee? Simply based on Age? I figured cubs fans would flock and say LEE LEE LEE.....
A Cubs fan I am not and drapes nailed it. You need the STATS that Pena will give you.

maxdad007

#7 Post by maxdad007 »

I would go ARam just based on position scarcity since there would probably be less of a drop off after Lee/Pena then the drop off after ARam.

drapes

#8 Post by drapes »

Expecting consistent, good power numbers from ARam is not a good idea. He's been trending down (solid article at fangraphs-search aramis ramirez) for a couple years now, and he's also developing an annoying habit of getting hurt.

He may truly be the best of the rest, or the last in this tier, or whatever...

CHASE STATS, NOT BATS - Meaning, if you collect enough stats, the quality per position is kinda irrelevant don't you think?

50 Desert Eagles

#9 Post by 50 Desert Eagles »

This is why I am looking at Pena first....he hasn't been getting hurt as has Rameriez...now if I can get him around pick 100...I sure will.