Deep league Stratagy....right or wrong?

Theories, Concepts and Analytical Discussion (draft strategies, valuation, inflation, scarcity, etc.)
50 Desert Eagles

Deep league Stratagy....right or wrong?

#1 Post by 50 Desert Eagles »

Ok, setup first.

20 Team, 7x7 Mixed, second season, 4 keepers,
Offensive categories: R, H, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OBP
Pitching categories: W, L, Hld, SV, K, ERA, WHIP
23 man roster
Hitting Positions = C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, UTIL, UTIL
Pitching Positions = SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P
Bench Slots = 4
2 DL slots

Ok, now that all that is out of the way.....

I finished with the best record from last season, but 3rd after the playoffs. I had by far the best players on one roster. Now, I could have made a case for 8+ keepers, but only can keep four. So my idea was two-fold, trade keeper type players for one better keeper & trade borderline keepers to the worse teams for draft picks.(The only thing to remember here is this.) First round draft picks are actually round 5(since the first 4 rounds are ALL keepers) All teams must keep 4 players. So basically, the top 80 players are gone when the draft starts. However like most leagues, we have some owners keeping players that THEY think are keepers or might be later one....such as Wieters, Papalbon, K-rod, Adam Jones....So, I thought, if I can line my pockets with extra early round picks, there still could be talent there. My only pitfall is, now I have traded away guys like Jeter, Cano, Dunn, Kinsler, etc. Which in turn has made some teams more stronger that stunk last season and really had no keepers. But here is my position now....my question is though....Was this right or wrong from a stratagy point...Oh, after I peddled some players, a few other teams followed my lead as they saw I was picking up draft picks all over......

My team now going into the draft is this....
Braun, Pedoria, Markakis and Ichiro. I have 3 first round picks, 2 second round picks and 2 third round picks. Thanks gang for your abuse and insight!

lawr
Major League All-Star

Re: Deep league Stratagy....right or wrong?

#2 Post by lawr »

i think you league's reaction says it all. for, when the league adjusts and follows your lead, even if it is a correct path (no clue, but the plan looks good to me and you should be strong again) well you are doing something right. wagging the league.

nice.