do i keep any pitching?

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
duneraider

do i keep any pitching?

#1 Post by duneraider »

hello all

was a lurker on old site - looking to be active on new one - from the UK

12 team 6x 6. keep 8. did some aggressive trading already.

was thinking albert, reyes, utley, howard, furcal, kemp, - definitley

2 of figgins/dunn/liriano/billingsley

price/burnett/young/cain hard to give up but....

thanks

Chris Snyder
Albert Pujols
Jose Reyes
Chone Figgins
Ryan Howard
Ian Stewart
Adam Dunn
Matt Kemp
Brad Hawpe
Chase Utley
Brett Gardner
Rafael Furcal

Chris Young
Ted Lilly
Matt Cain
Mike Gonzalez
Matt Lindstrom
JJ Putz
Ryan Rowland-Smith
John Parrish
James Parr
Chad Billingsley
Francisco Liriano
David Price
AJ Burnett

cwk1963

Re: do i keep any pitching?

#2 Post by cwk1963 »

Personally, I'd keep Hawpe over Kemp. You have a nice SB start with Reyes and Furcal and I'd rather have Hawpe's HR, RBI and BA edge.

As far as the pitching goes, I think you keep 2 of Burnett, Liriano or Billingsley. Definitely Liriano and my choice would be Burnett. But you can go with Billingsley if you think I'm drinking the Kool-Aid.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Todd Zola »

Put the Kool-Aid down and back slowly away from the keyboard.

Liriano and Billingsley.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

cwk1963

#4 Post by cwk1963 »

Todd Zola wrote:Put the Kool-Aid down and back slowly away from the keyboard.

Liriano and Billingsley.
OK, the Kool-Aid's down ;)

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Todd Zola »

Don't get me wrong, I am not predicting a flop for Burnett. It has everything to do with opportunity cost. I can almost promise that someone will go for $22 like Peavy/Halladay/Beckett AND someone like Felix/Oswalt/Lackey/Liriano will go for $15-$17.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

duneraider

#6 Post by duneraider »

thanks guys. no problem with Liriano over Figgins - was kind of going that way in my head - but even as a huge Billingsley fan I thought Dunn had more value especially for in season trading.

it is a redraft not auction with the players left and as i came 2nd last year, the plan was to pick up two pitchers with the 11 and 14 picks.

cheers

SteveB
Major League All-Star

#7 Post by SteveB »

I was just curious when your keeprs were do and whether or not you had any additional trades in the works.

You have very solid keepers I think I wul dtry and pop an elite SP of someone. Burnett (Yankee hype) and Dunn, Furcal, Kemp, Hawpe (whichever you like) might get you a top 5 SP.

Personally I would consider not keeping Furcal but he has soured to me a bit, coming off injury,I think you could probably get him back very easy if you desired or as i suggested above move him in a trade.

Also i would be inclined to wait as long as possible to see where some of these things pan out.

Where does Dunn sign? Is there any situation you would consider him?
Does Atkins get traded? What does that do for I.Stewarts value? What if Ian is playing 2B /

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by Todd Zola »

OK, where the heck did I get the $22 from?!?!?!?!

Must have been another post and it was stuck in my head and I juxtaposed them.

You say 6x6 -- what are the extra categories?

duneraider

#9 Post by duneraider »

thanks steve - have to have them in by end of february.

furcal i kept on dl most of last year - he was not in my original plans but looking again at ss after reading eric karabell at espn i thought he might have more value.

i was always tried to keep the best 7 player and only one projection to break in because i like 2nd tier pitching and do very well with it always in the top 2 for 6 years.

i like your idea of a top sp but after Santana I see warning signs in all of them.

BTW anther thought was if i can't shift Dunn to get rid of Howard for Cabrera or Wright (Braun already rejetced) as carrying Dunn and Howard costs me badly in avg last year?

got to love keeper leagues though - keeps baseball alive all the time and deals can be had.

i got Utley - the day after his operation for Manny who was still getting glory pats on the back for his finish last year. a fantasy baseball steal in November!

ps. Todd to answer your question - holds (i hate this category) and OBP - which is why i lke Dunn - are the extra categories