2008 draft worksheet instructions

Ask questions or post comments concerning the CVRC, START or the Team and Player Tracker
richardblann

2008 draft worksheet instructions

#1 Post by richardblann »

Anyone have the pdf of the instructions on how to use the 2008 draft worksheet? I've updated the sheet with 2009 data, but I recall some manual moifications required so that the sheet recognizes the team that selects the player during the draft. Please help -- draft in the morning begins in less than 12 hours.

Rob Leibowitz
Major League Regular

Re: 2008 draft worksheet instructions

#2 Post by Rob Leibowitz »

Hi there - it should be included in the ZIP file with the worksheet which was uploaded last night.

Rob
Rob Leibowitz
Mastersball.com
Rob's Column/Blog: The Diamond Exchange

aburt19
Major League Elite
Preferred Style: AL only 5X5 keeper auction

Re: 2009 draft worksheet

#3 Post by aburt19 »

I've been playing with the latest draft worksheet and seem to have some trouble in getting some of the change functions
to work. If I want to change a player from one team to another one, it changes the main page for both teams as far as
number of players needed, $ spent and left to spend, etc. and it changes the log worksheet. But it doesn't change the
rosters page. The player is deleted from the team that it was incorrectly entered on, but does not add it to the correct
team.

The same think applies to changing the position of the player. The roster page does not reflect the change in position. It
does remove the player from the position that he formerly occupied, but did not show the player in the position that he was
moved to.

Rob Leibowitz
Major League Regular

#4 Post by Rob Leibowitz »

Thanks. I'll look into it.
Rob Leibowitz
Mastersball.com

Rob Leibowitz
Major League Regular

#5 Post by Rob Leibowitz »

Ok few things

1) Change position. I think the instructions refer to an older version. in the new version you have to type in the whole team name in the following format "team1 - 2B" for example".

2) Change salary - works fine

3) Change team - you have to make sure you also change position as well. So if changing from team1 to team4. You have to use the change team and type in "team4". and then use the change position to change from "team1 - 2B" to "team4 - 2B".

You are probably saying "wow" that is a bit cumbersome for "in draft" and I agree. I will work to see what I can do resolve those issues to make them easier when i release the updated version. At the very least I will try in the case of the change team function to make the change position function simultaneously.

-Rob
Rob Leibowitz
Mastersball.com

aburt19
Major League Elite

#6 Post by aburt19 »

Thanks. Everything works when I follow those instructions. I'm commissioner of the league and am hoping that this will
make it easier on draft day. I have trouble keeping track of my own team because of the work of being the commissioner.

Thank you.

Rob Leibowitz
Major League Regular

#7 Post by Rob Leibowitz »

I looked it over and fixed much of it. I'll be posting it all later. I'll announce in the draftware forum when I have done so.

with changing positions, you will still need to type in "team1 - 3B" to get a position change if you were changing from "team1 - 2B" or "rob - 3B" to "rob - 2b".

(I always recommend keeping the team names you input into the system as short as possible btw!)

but what i did change is if you need to change a players' team altogether it will do both the position change and the team change with one button press - asking you to change the players position and then asking you to change the team, so for example it will go like this;

box will appear asking to change player position and you would input: rob - 1B
then a second box will appear and ask you to change team and you would input: rob

so this way it asks you everything you need.

btw - if you are the commish of your league and you are tracking for everyone, i highly recommend just using a scaled down roster/budget tracking sheet and ask someone else to do that. (there is always someone in the league who wants to use a laptop but doesn't have draftware, so giving them something simple to track their rosters and the rest of the league is helpful. in other words - I'm trying to get you to focus on your own draft and delegate a little ;). In my local league where I comimsh there are several people who have a simplified draftware and I let them do the logging r have them send me back-ups after the fact and/or we also take a break every 5 or so times around the nomination order to make sure everyone has the right info.

I have some scaled down stuff which is what we use for Tout Wars. I'll post that in the near future.
Rob Leibowitz
Mastersball.com

rmiller
High-A
Preferred Style: Diamond Mind, Scoresheet AL & BL, Roto 5x5 (OBA, 12 teams)

#8 Post by rmiller »

Hi Rob.

I've been using a slightly modded (mostly cleaned up some logic and color schemes) old version of your draft worksheet for a number of years now. (The old version doesn't have the projections and the comments.) It has worked pretty well for me, meaning yeah, most of the time my team sucked but it wasn't the spreadsheet's fault.

I was wondering. I know you've added some features as time has gone on, but on a more basic level, has any of the basic logic (the "how it works") changed much if at all? I'm wondering if I should try messing with one of your newer versions.

The reality is that I only have a netbook now, and I'm thinking that trying to run it on a netbook screen would probably be counterproductive. Maybe it's time to go old school.

-Rob Byung-Hyun Kim Miller
"Smell the Glove"

Rob Leibowitz
Major League Regular

#9 Post by Rob Leibowitz »

hey rob - I actually went semi-old school myself at a few of my drafts last year. Not sure how it will work with a netbook - never used one before. Of course I see the future for all these auction worksheets as Aps for phones and touch screen-slate like devices.

Not sure which version you are using, but the latest version does some things that are nicer than the first few visions, namely it knows when you have filled a roster slot and takes that away from your draftable options as you work your way through the draft (while maintaining the ability to change roster slots if need be).

btw - if you clean it up at all, be sure to share - afterall its "open source" for our users and we're trying to make it work as best as possible for everyone!

The 2010 version, as I mentioned, cleaned up some of those roster spot issues and I now have 2010 projections in there and values for an NFBC style league. I may upload it today.

todd is still working on the player profiles, so those will have to be imported later.

-Rob
Rob Leibowitz
Mastersball.com

Rob Leibowitz
Major League Regular

#10 Post by Rob Leibowitz »

newer version is now online!
Rob Leibowitz
Mastersball.com

aburt19
Major League Elite

#11 Post by aburt19 »

I play in a strange league that has only 4 OF, but 2 UT. In the setup, I set the number of OF for a 12 team league at 48
and the UT at 24. But the roster page only shows one UT player instead of a UT1 and UT2. What am I doing wrong?

ETA: Does the software allow entry of players into positions for which they don't qualify? I'm sorry that I am not able to
look at the instruction, but I can't find mine and the current zip file download doesn't contain the instructions. If the
spreadsheet allows players to be entered at any position, then I'm okay. I'll just enter that player in the OF5 position.

Thanks.

Rob Leibowitz
Major League Regular

#12 Post by Rob Leibowitz »

The software allows you to put a player in any position. It does not lock you out of doing it at all, so you have to be careful if you put your OF accidentally at catcher, and you find yourself forgetting you still need a second catcher as the software does lock out roster slots on your team as you fill them.
Rob Leibowitz
Mastersball.com