Multi-positional Players

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

Multi-positional Players

#1 Post by viper »

Multi-positional players allow for flexibility and their value is not always totally appreciated until about five weeks into the season. Every league varies but here is what I worked out to be the NFBC style multi-positional guys. The NFBC requires 20 games from last season. They also have exceptions and there was a long and, sometime "bitter' thread, on Pablo Sandoval. Anyway here is my list. Please correct or add if you see something I missed. This list is ordered in my approximate value as of this very early date - things change.

Catchers Really only meaningful if Catching is a secondary position.
Brandon Inge C,3B
That's the entire list

1B-3B
Kevin Youklis
Chris Davis
Aubrey Huff
Carlos Guillen
Garrett Atkins
Casey Blake
Jorge Cantu
Hank Blalock
Wilson Betemit
Doug Mientkiewicz
Rich Aurilia
Wes Helms

1B-OF
Conor Jackson
Nick Swisher
Frank Catalanotto

1B-2B
Jeff Baker

2B-SS
Mike Aviles
Asdrubal Cabrera
Maicer Izturis
Emmanuel Burris
Clint Barmes
Nick Punto
Aaron Miles
Ronny Cedeno
Brendan Ryan

2B-3B
Juan Uribe
Blake DeWitt
Jamey Carroll

2B-OF
Joe Inglett
Esteban German

2B & 2 others
Mark DeRosa [2B, 3B, OF]
Marco Scutaro [2B, 3B, SS]
Ronnie Belliard [1B, 2B, 3B]
Brendan Harris [2B, SS, OF]

3B-SS
Jed Lowrie
Brandon Wood
Ramon Vazquez
Craig Counsell

3B-OF
Ty Willington

3B & 2 others
Omar Infante [3B, SS, OF

SS-OF
Jerry Hairston

DH/UT only
David Ortiz
Jim Thome
Pablo Sandoval - the NFBC has given him 1B eligibility however [17 games at 1B]
Travis Hafner
Cameron Maybin [8 games @ OF]
Kendry Morales [12 games @ OF]
Cliff Floyd
Josh Fields [12 games @ 3B]
Rocco Baldelli [7 games at OF]
Gary Sheffield
Gabriel Sanchez [3 games @ 1B]
Matthew Antonelli [18 games @ 2B]
Dallas McPherson [2 games @ 3B]
Moises Alou [13 games @ OF]
Eric Chavez [15 games @ 3B]
Frank Thomas
Jerry Owens [10 games @ OF]
Javier Valentin [17 games @ CA]
George Kottaras [2 games @ CA]
Anderson Hernandez [16 games @ 2B]
Matt Stairs
Shelly Duncan [16 games @ 1B]
Mike Sweeney
Jose Vidro

I did about every non-minor league callup player. I may have include some players who game up for a cup of coffee last year.
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

Mosey
Triple-A

Re: Multi-positional Players

#2 Post by Mosey »

I always thought that multi-positional players are highly overrated. You seem them go spots and dollars higher only to hear someone say 'I can play him in two spots.'

that is great but unless you catch Chipper Jones or Ryan Braun in a transition year you probably have someone you shouldn't be excited about at any position.

The only leagues where they have any extra value is the ones where you get butt-slammed on transaction fees or very deep leagues. Then moving a replacement level player to a new spot saves you some cash. Other than that if you REALLY need a back up 2b there is a good chance someone on the waivers is just as good as Ronnie Belliard.

The better guys like Youk or Atkins or Blaylock are going to be drafted or paid for on value anyway. And those positions are deep enough you go find another clone.

Now that sweet OF to 2b... that we are talking about.
Pwning your bitch ass since 1994
Mosey Tm

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Todd Zola »

In AL or NL only leagues, the replacement level player is the same, but in shallower leagues, it helps to be able to grab the best hitter available, regardless of position and sometimes the 1b/3b and 1b/of helps facilitate that.

In 12/15 team mixed with a reserve roster, it helps to be able to use your top reserve as he is likely to be better than anyone in the FA pool.

Also, the dynamic of the player pool in general has changed the past several years since teams are carrying 11, 12 and sometimes even 13 pitchers on their 25-man roster. This has introduced more multiple eligibility guys that even 5 years ago.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

#4 Post by viper »

I play in one NL-only and two AL-only leagues where you have no bench. Only players officially on the DL can be reserved allowing you to get a replacement through he FAAB. If AROD goes day-to-day and sits for five days, all you can do is shrug. If Zimmerman underperforms, he is still a lot better than any replacement. When a DL happens, having several multi-positional players is a god-send as you are not limited to the few available players at a single position. In a league with reasonable sized benches, a multi-positioned player has less value but there is some level of value. To me it is more a tie-breaker in leagues with benches.
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer