MB'09 Zimmerman

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
SteveB
Major League All-Star

MB'09 Zimmerman

#1 Post by SteveB »

Well i posted in our mock section that Zimmermans ADP has been all over the board. I have seen him drafted anywhere from 62-140 I guess that shows there is a lot of variance on projections for him. So i am just curious what others are anticipating from Zimmerman in 09 and why?

Mojo Jojo

Re: MB'09 Zimmerman

#2 Post by Mojo Jojo »

i like zimmerman this upcoming year.

how much?....after wright, arod, longoria, aramis ram, probably beltre and maybe atkins. i would tier him with other potential breakouts alex gordon and maybe edwin encarnacion. obviously there are other 3b who could be more valuable...guys like chipper, glaus, lowell, etc but those guys are older and to me their downside outweights the upside from guys like gordon or zimmerman.

why?...
despite the shoulder injury, his line drive rate, batting average and contact rate all increased. if he is truly past any shoulder woes the power returns too.

viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

#3 Post by viper »

I have Nationals tickets and will be at 15 or so games this season. I have watched Zimmerman live and on TV for four years beginning with his September call-up. I have no idea how he is projected by the many sites but what I see is a great fielder who will never be anywhere above an average hitter unless the Nats get some sort of offense around him. And even if that happens, I am not sure. He will have ample opportunity by batting 3rd, 4th or 5th but he doesn't show me with that something special you want to see in a young hitter.

Now watch him go 30/110/.295
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

ayebatter

#4 Post by ayebatter »

Last week he was 42nd @ MDC, 112th @ rotoworld, 76th @yahoo, 95th @ NFBC mock, 107th @ Fantasy Baseball Cafe mock. Here was taken at 62 because the person who did the taking (me),
did not believe he would last 'till pick 83 (my next pick), and a plethora of 3rd basemen were already off the board. Just goes to show ya, every draft has its own dynamics and rankings won't allow you play it the same way every time. So draft positions aside, Viper made the correct statement ( at least what I believe for '09).

Now watch him go 30/110/.295 , or thereabouts :mrgreen:

viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

#5 Post by viper »

you have no idea how much I hope you are correct. Since it will be his second year of arbitration, I'm sure Ryan does too. If he can get to 110 RBIs, it would mean that Guzman and, I guess, Milledge, will have good season wrt OBP.
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Todd Zola »

The skills are certainly there. As others suggest, it is all about the playing time with Zimmerman. We are fairly optimistic and have him about the 80th overall hitter, adding about 20 pitchers and that pute him just outside the top-100.

Totally anecdotal, I have no basis for this other than it is something I monitor, sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't, but I like watching the offensive development of players with outstanding defensive skills, especially with respect to hand-eye coordination and reflexes as it makes intuitive sense that this may eventually translate into better contact skills, with Ozzie Smith and Omar Vizquel being the poster boys for the concept.

viper can speak to this having seen him live, but from what I have seen and scouting reports, Zimmerman falls into this class of defender.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

JP Kastner

#7 Post by JP Kastner »

There is an old rec.sports.baseball.fantasy adage from the good ole days of the Internet. "Defense gets you to the Major Leagues. Hitting keeps you there."

Bodhizefa
Major League Veteran

#8 Post by Bodhizefa »

He's not going to end up being David Wright II as we discussed on Mastersball a couple of years ago, but he's certainly a quality third baseman with mild to moderate upside. Too bad Jim Bowden hasn't gotten him any legitimate offensive help at all in the last few years.
I tried to think of the most harmless thing. Something I loved from my childhood. Something that could never ever possibly destroy us. Mr. Stay Puft! We used to roast Stay-Puft marshmallows, by the fire, at Camp Waconda.