Mock is Messing with my mind!

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
50 Desert Eagles

Mock is Messing with my mind!

#1 Post by 50 Desert Eagles »

Ok, I have always been a draft SP later type of guy. So far I have done well with the method. However, in a mock draft SOMEWHERE that I am in, I am seeing some sp's flying off the board(even some rp's...well one anyways) before the 6th round....(15 team mock, mixed 5x5) So my question is this. In my regular 20 team 7x7 league, we have 80 keepers total(4 per team) 19 of the 80 keepers are SP's. So does this mean the SP pool is Low to pick from? I have overall picks 4,6,17,20,25 in the first 2 rounds of our draft. My key spots are 4,6. From another post we have established I need more power...AKA Carlos Pena. My keepers are, Ichiro, Markakis, Pedoria and Braun. I think I can wait for Pena till pick 6 though, So with pick 4.....do I take a SP or another passed over great bat. Here is the top talent(according to MB projections that are left. My first instict is Javier Vazquez, but my heart says Aaron Hill IF he makes it to me at 4th. A far as Rp's, only Papal and Soria were kept....Rivera is nice, but cant see using one of my first 5 picks for him or Broxton. So I am asking the best of the best, of the best here.....

SP's.
Vazquez, Javier
Hamels, Cole
Santana, Johan
Nolasco, Ricky
Jenks, Bobby
Johnson, Josh

Bats.
Abreu, Bobby
Lee, Derrek
Hunter, Torii
Lee, Carlos
Butler, Billy
Hill, Aaron
Victorino, Shane
McCutchen, Andrew
Rollins, Jimmy
Jones, Chipper
Upton, B.J.
McLouth, Nate
Kubel, Jason
Ramirez, Aramis
Pena, Carlos

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Mock is Messing with my mind!

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

I'll address the question at hand later, need to head to the day job now, but to speak on the point of where pitchers are being drafted, it is very much a matter of monkey see, monkey do.

For fear of becoming to NFBCentric, a term I coined and really like, if you look at how the most competitive owners do year after year in the NFBC, you will see they take pitching about where it is going in this mock. Several NFBC vets are in this mock and they are drafting accordingly. Then the rest are forced to jump in or lose out.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

rotodog

#3 Post by rotodog »

Dont let a Mock mess yo mind....

Make a plan and go... Although it is tough for me with just the names you listed as available and not knowing what everyone else has kept...

With your 4 bats, You have BA coming out the A$$.... have about 70 steals which are worth a bit less in 7x7. You Need the Power. Already been said, I know...

First, i would make sure I have run proper 7x7 valuations for pitching. Many might just use 5x5 numbers, but that would be a mistake.

2. With those SP for bid, I would take Either Hill/Pena first I think if you want the power....Then with your next pick One of those SP will be there. I Might Also go and take Rollins there if he is still there at 4...But its a toss up and maybe someone grabs him before you to make this moot anyhow...

Why? Even though you need Power, I think it will be there 10 picks later with your 17th....Carlos Lee and Tori hunter are unloved and Mccutch and younger guys will go before them. Who cares iF Mccutchen goes? If you get Rollins, you wont have to worry about other cats.

I personally Like Cole and I am sure if an SP is taken before your 6th pick, it wont be him. I like the Whip and everything else... But You have to assume Nolasco has a chance to fall to the 20s where you have multi picks.

Nest time around, I would grab a solid 5 cat contributor. I know you have 3 OF already so I am not sure which way to send you....But if you take Rollins instead of Pena/Hill then I grab more Power...If I grabbed Pena/Hill earlier, I would grab Hunter / Mcclouth /Abreu types.

So with the 3 quick picks in succession I would grab one of the SP left, and two of the best Offensive players we discussed. Nolasco might still be here..... From 5 picks, you will end up with 2 Semi-Ace type pitchers. 3 very,very servicable BAT producers depending on your earlier picks..

One last thing...make sure you run 7x7 valuations and dont just use 5x5. it will help you identify hidden targets or players that have value even higher than otherwise thought...

Black Sox
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 Mix

#4 Post by Black Sox »

I've been seeing the same thing, I understand Todd's point about the fact that you need to get pitching and while the hitter value might be great, you'll be up the creek if you don't react at some point. In the free 10 team league I just drafted 10 SP went in the first 5 rounds, which is a ton! I waited until the 7th for my first SP and ended up with a staff of......

C.Hamels
T.Hanson
R.Nolasco
B.Webb

Decent starting point to a staff, but my league is shallow so most other teams have less risk, ( whatever that means)

But because of ALL the pitchers being drafted I selected
R.Braun
M.Kemp
D.Wright
K.Youkilis
P.Sandaval
J.Werth

I wasn' thrilled with Hamels as my ace, but my offense even in a 10 team league is just sick. I really doubt when $$ are on the line it will go this easy, but I was surprised 1. how much pitching was taken early and also how long people waited on OF. Just something I'll pay attention to when drafting for real!
Boston Black Sox
Steve Le Blanc

AllstonRockCity

#5 Post by AllstonRockCity »

I think rotodog said it pretty well. i'd approach that draft in the same way.

if i were in your shoes i'd want hill/pena at 4 and then hamels/johnson at 6. after that i'd want 1 more starter and 2 more power hitting bats.

the caveat here is that I have no idea what going to a 7x7 format would do to those rankings.

50 Desert Eagles

#6 Post by 50 Desert Eagles »

Of the three sp's for my 2nd round...who is best? (IF they make it) Nolasco, Gallardo or Ubaldo....I have a crush on Gallardo, but what's everyone elses feelings?

rotodog

#7 Post by rotodog »

50 Desert Eagles wrote:Of the three sp's for my 2nd round...who is best? (IF they make it) Nolasco, Gallardo or Ubaldo....I have a crush on Gallardo, but what's everyone elses feelings?
Gallardo will be gone...Bank on that...But for pure standard category roto in 2010? Got no idea...I kind of view them as interchangeable pieces ....None stand out far and away over the others... But if you held a gun to my head, Ubaldo, Nolasco and Yovanni ...In that order... and that maybe the reverse order they are taken in so use it to your advantage....