MB'09 - Adrian Beltre, 3B, SEA

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
Bodhizefa
Major League Veteran

MB'09 - Adrian Beltre, 3B, SEA

#1 Post by Bodhizefa »

I'll miss Beltre an awful lot when he moves out of Safeco Field either sometime this year, or, at the latest, in 2010. He's been an excellent all-around asset for the Mariners, and he's been an underrated fantasy hot corner option for a while now. He never seems to quite perform up to skillset expectations in terms of batting average, but that's likely mostly due to being in the natural death knell for righties that I like to call Safeco. Beltre quietly contributes in every single category, and while his RBI and Runs totals were way down last year, they should uptick a bit with a generally better offense around him (and a smarter front office, too). And if he's moved to a different park (Beltre is very unlikely to be re-signed by the Mariners), all of his hitting stats should improve immediately. I'm pressed as to who will end up earning more in '09, Beltre or Alex Gordon, but if it's my money being spent, Beltre's the much safer pick.
I tried to think of the most harmless thing. Something I loved from my childhood. Something that could never ever possibly destroy us. Mr. Stay Puft! We used to roast Stay-Puft marshmallows, by the fire, at Camp Waconda.

Bodhizefa
Major League Veteran

Re: MB'09 - Adrian Beltre, 3B, SEA

#2 Post by Bodhizefa »

Did I forget to mention it's his contract year? 8-)
I tried to think of the most harmless thing. Something I loved from my childhood. Something that could never ever possibly destroy us. Mr. Stay Puft! We used to roast Stay-Puft marshmallows, by the fire, at Camp Waconda.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: MB'09 - Adrian Beltre, 3B, SEA

#3 Post by Todd Zola »

Beltre should earn more than Gordon, his skill set is flat thus should be good for his normal .270-25-8. There are a couple of yellow, not quite red flags in that his playing time has been on a slow decline and though he hit his usual number of homers last season, his doubles were down.

So while I would not downgrade Beltre a little due to these cautions and upgrade Gordon due to his potential and make them "even", I can see passing over Beltre AT VALUE because there is some downside risk to take Gordon AT VALUE to get the upside potential.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord