NL-Only Keeper Options and your Suggestions

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
NateinSpringfield

NL-Only Keeper Options and your Suggestions

#1 Post by NateinSpringfield »

10 team 5x5 NL-Only Auction. I can keep up to 3. I don't have any "stud" players to keep so I am going to have to go w/ the cheaper high upside players as options. I am working on "trading up" but these are my options as of now. Also you can only keep a player once, so it is not like I will be able to keep these players at these prices long term.

Evereth Cabrera 4
Brendan Ryan 2
Garrett Jones 3
Kyle Blanks 2
Homer Baily 5
Jorge De La Rosa 2

I am leaning toward Cabrera, Blanks and De La Rosa. Garrett Jones is a definite consideration but I want to see how his spring goes and see if he can win the job outright.

50 Desert Eagles

Re: NL-Only Keeper Options and your Suggestions

#2 Post by 50 Desert Eagles »

WOW, those are nasty looking, not sure HOW you can trade up honestly....if I HAD to take 3....Cabrera for sure, blanks and la rosa would be my picks......Good luck.....u need a monster draft!

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Todd Zola »

In NL only, there is nothing wrong with those choices as cheap keepers, especially since with only freezing a guy one year, there is going to be high-end talent available.

Personally, I favor Jones over Blanks. I think it is pretty safe to assume he has a full-time gig either in RF or at 1B. Blanks is going to have to hit to stay in the lineup and though the assumption is he will, we haven't seen it. He's a power guy so if he is a victim of Petco early on, he may get frustrated, change his approach, etc.

[rant]I will admit part of my lean for Jones is I want him to success, because I find it frustrating that so many of my brethren that have discovered fangraphs as a means of analysis seem to like Nelson Cruz, but are panning Jones. I look at their minor league career and '08 for Cruz and '09 for Jones and see remarkable similarities. I think to many of my fellow pundits are trying to get too cute with their analysis.[/rant}
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

rotodog

#4 Post by rotodog »

In an NL only, they choice is simple to me...If you can keep only 3, there will be lots of Studs to buy on draft day to go with your 3 cheapies..

Ev Cabrera at 4 bucks in an NL only is a steal I think...

Garret Jones is a sentimental fav of mine and I prefer him to have some sort of value in 2010 as opposed to Blanks.

Whore-Hay De larosa at 2 in an NL could pay big dividends come october..

B ryan is not even in the conversation
Although a former prospect stud , Bailey is the kind of guy that could surprise in 2010 after 3 failed years...But I would take Jorge, his K's and a 4.20 ERA . Anything less is a bonus and possible ...

Thats 9 bucks...Now Go buy some studs

NateinSpringfield

#5 Post by NateinSpringfield »

50 Desert Eagles wrote:WOW, those are nasty looking, not sure HOW you can trade up honestly....if I HAD to take 3....Cabrera for sure, blanks and la rosa would be my picks......Good luck.....u need a monster draft!
Keeping all these cheapies allows me to have a monster draft - I will have no problem going the extra buck on the guys I want. The only possible big names off the board are Braun, Pujols and Hanley - granted those are 3 of the top 5 if not the top 3 - and there is no guarantee they will be gone, just possible.

Our league overpays for speed so Evereth is high on my list. I have a feeling that Jorge is going for 10-11 in the league b/c of the K potential, so even though I don't like to keep pitchers I think I have to (kept Lincecum at 15 last year, that worked out okay for me). I really want to believe Jones follows the path of Nelson Cruz, who I was also a non-believer on, but everything I have read doesn't even have him a lock for a starting job when breaking camp. The thing that makes me think that me might not win it out of spring training is he has been a slow starter throughout his professional career. Blanks also has question marks but what it may come down to is that Jones goes for more in the auction than Blanks which means in this league would be a better value to keep.