Macros and Microsoft Office for Mac

Ask questions or post comments concerning the CVRC, START or the Team and Player Tracker
AllstonRockCity

Macros and Microsoft Office for Mac

#1 Post by AllstonRockCity »

When I open something like the CVRC I get a message that macros don't work on Office for Mac. I have 3 options. Open and Remove Macros, Close, or Open. It says that clicking 'Open' will open the doc and leave the macros. So, that the option I've been choosing, but the macros still are not working.

Whats the deal here? Is this a problem all Mac users have or is it me? Anyone have any solutions?

I've been using the site and its tools for a number of years but have always had a PC until halfway through last summer when I switched to a Mac. Someone please tell me that I'm going to still be able to use all the resources on this site. I just re-upped my platinum for 2010.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Macros and Microsoft Office for Mac

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

Yes, it is an issue for all Macs. On our previous forum, there were some suggestions how to deal with it. Hopefully JP can help out but if not, we can do a few things.

The first is I can run the customized values for anyone's league and pass on the results.

Something I am looking into is doing a Mac version of the CVRC. This would be for dollar values only, not rankings. All the macro does is pull the final version from the ether onto the spreadsheet. I can have it do that without a macro, it is just that the data will be in formula form, or actually ="cell".

If you can work with it in that form, I may try to prepare a version like that.

But there were ways to use macros or use open office if I recall.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

AllstonRockCity

#3 Post by AllstonRockCity »

Todd Zola wrote:Something I am looking into is doing a Mac version of the CVRC. This would be for dollar values only, not rankings. All the macro does is pull the final version from the ether onto the spreadsheet. I can have it do that without a macro, it is just that the data will be in formula form, or actually ="cell".

If you can work with it in that form, I may try to prepare a version like that.
I would have no problem getting just the straight values. I typically rank and format them myself anyway, so it really wouldn't change things too much for me. I don't know how other Mac users feel, but thats a fine solution for me.

And as you also mentioned, worst case is you do them then send them to me. I'm only doing 2 (maybe 3, tops) leagues this year, so its not like you'd have to run 17 different permutations.

As always,
thank you

JP Kastner

#4 Post by JP Kastner »

As I said in a previous post, due to complexity, our tools use VBA. Office for Mac 2008 doesn't support VBA. NeoOffice does support VBA, but it is rather slow.

JP

WillRoy
Major League All-Star

#5 Post by WillRoy »

I was gonna suggest using office 2004, which works for my macros, assuming you're using 2008 since my options are different. Then again, Parallels desktop (Windows on mac simultaneously, no reboot neccessary) cost me only 40 bucks. Much cheaper than another office program. :). And the only version of word I needed was a real old copy of 2000 that came with my windows 98second edition dell.

In addition: Just of note, the league I commish has at least 4 users I know of (maybe more) who bought parallels just for Rotolab.

-Will
Storrs City Chess Company

AllstonRockCity

#6 Post by AllstonRockCity »

Thank you all for the suggestions. I'll definitely look into the Parallel's suggestion.

Will MB be releasing the Mac friendly versions Todd mentioned, or is that still TBD?

Will Roy, Love the "Hail to the Thief" avatar. Good Stuff

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by Todd Zola »

AllstonRockCity wrote: Will MB be releasing the Mac friendly versions Todd mentioned, or is that still TBD?
ARC - if you are up to being a guinea pig, please PM me an e-mail address and I will send you a copy to check out.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

JP Kastner

#8 Post by JP Kastner »

I will say that the future bodes well for Mac users. I run a report on the percentage of Mac users on the site. I know there are plenty and we will support you somehow.

JP