I received this trade proposal

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
FBP

I received this trade proposal

#1 Post by FBP »

NL only 5x5 league. 25 man rosters and 11 teams with a $280 cap. Expected inflation: 35%.

I received a trade proposal of my choice of Rasmus or Maybin (both at $5B) and Brian Wilson at $19B for Broxton $11F. My keeper list below----B = 2nd year and F is option year; (F* is final year and guaranteed contract as previously extended).

Thoughts on trade please.

1. Pujols $41B
2. Josh Johnson $6F
3. Broxton $11F or $16B (may extend-elite closer)
4. Hansen $3B
5. Ludwick $2F
6. Alcides Escobar $5B
7. Milledge $14F*
8. Soto $7F*
9. Blanton $3B
10. Utley $40B
11. Kawakami $1B

lawr
Major League All-Star

Re: I received this trade proposal

#2 Post by lawr »

you know major leaguer, i don't see this as such a remarkable offer. you are ok with broxton at his price. wilson is more, and essentially you should be able to pick up maybin or rasmus during your auction at near what their current salaries are.

i always want to know why someone wants to make a trade, and you may have a good reason, but i don't see one. other than trading for the sake of trading, and that is not such a good reason.

so, i would ask you, "Why would you want to make such a deal?"

if you have an answer, i am looking forward to hearing it. if not, i think you have the answer?

lawr

alleyoops
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 slow auctions

#3 Post by alleyoops »

My view on the offer depends on what a B contract status means in your league. You indicate 2nd year - 2nd year of how many? Can it be extended further? Do salaries increase each year? By how much? What is your league's typical inflation rate?

While Broxton certainly is a much better value than Wilson, his value is only for this year (although see comment below). Wilson's probably only a little under value this year, even if he can be kept longer. But I really doubt that Rasmus could be had for $5 in an auction (or Maybin, for that matter), as he is not far removed from being the #1 prospect in all of baseball, and although he's disappointed, he still has the potential to excel.

Another consideration is your goals for this year, and beyond. If you have little chance this year, that would push me more toward doing the deal (assuming Rasmus can be kept for additional years). If you're going for it this year, you might lean toward hanging on to Broxton, although I don't think that's a no-brainer.

I just noticed your post in the other thread. There it sounds as if Broxton can be extended. I would do that, even though Todd advised against. I suspect your potential trading partner would do that. Assuming he still can be extended, his value is greater (2 or more years at a bargain), and I'd probably want more for him.

WillRoy
Major League All-Star

#4 Post by WillRoy »

If Rasmus or Maybin went for over 5 in an 11 team NL I personally wouldn't bite. They are pretty far from sure bets, even excluding the greenhorn aspect. And both are very young.

Then again this may also be speculative on my part, because from what I've read and seen, I can think of at least 8 MiLB guys I'd take over Rasmus. Close to that number for Maybin. I'm fairly sure both have low CT rates so it might take a longer adjustment period.
Storrs City Chess Company

cwk1963

#5 Post by cwk1963 »

I see Broxton as the superior pitcher. I'd keep him and would extend him to $16.

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Since there may be something more here than meets the eye, what would be your thinking behind considering this proposal?
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

FBP

#7 Post by FBP »

da_big_kid_94 wrote:Since there may be something more here than meets the eye, what would be your thinking behind considering this proposal?
we can keep 13. I have only 11 keepers and the last 2 are just so so. If I were to do a trade lke this I would probably only do it if I could put Milledge into the deal as at 14 with a guaranteed contract he is slightly below inflated value and would ask for a $2 kelly johnson back. that would net me one more keeper (two if I kept Wilson which is not a foregone conclusion) and I would go into the draft with the middle infield taken care of. My first inclination was to reject the trade, but I am now thinking there may be more of an opportunity to improve than I first thought.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by Todd Zola »

Part of my pause with extending Broxton may be an over-reaction to the fact I feel he is in for some regression next season.

Upon inspection, his hits per IP is insanely low, but when you fan that many, it will happen. However, his K-rate was even higher than its standard very very high rate and his BABIP was lower than usual, so I see a mite fewer Ks and some more hits.

In single leagues, I am not against spending for a closer.

My thinking with Broxton was in a "go for it" year, I would rather take the insanely cheap saves for $11 and spend elsewhere.

Another way to look at the deal is consider you are paying $11 for a closer and $13 for Rasmus or Maybin. And with Wilson, you are getting an "inferior" closer.

To me, it revolves around the decision to shoot for the repeat, rebuild, or go high risk, high reward and if it doesn't work, rebuild.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

FBP

#9 Post by FBP »

my take is to keep Broxton and see how I draft. I don't have a deep keeper list but with Pujols, Utley as anchors, reasonable SPing with Johnson and Hansen, a cheap closer, cheap power in Ludwick , some speed in Milledge and Escobar, and a rebounding catcher in Soto, I have a good core. If I draft and/or in season manage well, I think I have a chance to repeat. If not I dump in June/July and re-stock with at least as good, if not better players than currently being offered.

Hambowen

#10 Post by Hambowen »

I would not force a trade just to fill up your keeper list.

Usually there is a team that has too many keepers and sometimes you can get a good multiple good players for 1 great player that works for your team.

I think lots of fantasy "rules" hamstring people but one I feel has merit most of the time is to make sure your the one getting the best player in a deal.

FBP

#11 Post by FBP »

FWIW I rejected the earlier trade offer weeks ago and the owner has now come back with another offer for Broxton ($11F but will extend to make $16B):

B. Wilson $19B, M. Bumgarner minors but $3A when called up, M. Adams $1B, L. Gregerson $1B, V. Padilla $1B and R. VandenHurk $1B.

To me this is a lot of bodies and speculation for a premier playerr and I am inclined to reject although I would like to add Baumgartner to my minor league roster and might consider if the other owner put in his $2 Kelly Johnson rather than all the spec pitchers or would take my 14 F Milledge for his 15F Zimmerman (3rd base is scarce but I doubt he would do this as he has all his OF and U spots tied up with OFs).

Thoughts?