Potential SP Free Agents

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
cwk1963

Potential SP Free Agents

#1 Post by cwk1963 »

Brandon Backe
Erik Bedard
Daniel Cabrera
Bartolo Colon
Jose Contreras
Doug Davis
Justin Duchscherer
Adam Eaton
Kelvim Escobar
Jon Garland - $10M mutual option/$2.5M club and $1M player buyouts
Tom Glavine
Mike Hampton
Rich Harden
Livan Hernandez
Tim Hudson - $12M club option/$1M buyout (Hudson may void option but loses buyout if he does)
Randy Johnson
John Lackey
Cliff Lee - $9M club option/$1M buyout
Braden Looper - $6.5M club option (Looper may decline club option but no buyout if he does)/$1M buyout
Jason Marquis
Brett Myers
Vicente Padilla - $12M club option/$1.75M buyout
Carl Pavano
Brad Penny
Odalis Perez
Andy Pettitte
Joel Pineiro
Sidney Ponson
Jason Schmidt
John Smoltz
Tim Wakefield - $4M club option
Jarrod Washburn
Brandon Webb - $8.5M club option/$2M buyout
Todd Wellemeyer
Randy Wolf

Not a stellar class. I consider Lee and Wakefield to be sure option pick ups. Some of the others are iffy but I think Looper will be picked up. Webb should be but with the mess in the desert, who knows what they'll do. I think LA picks up Padilla's option before Garland and Hudson stands no chance of his being picked up.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Potential SP Free Agents

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

You've also got Aroldis Chapman in the mix.

What this likely means is some of the better pitchers a year from free agency on lesser teams might be heavily pursued via trade in the off-season.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Tampa Bob
Major League Veteran
Preferred Style: Rotisserie Auction

#3 Post by Tampa Bob »

Ben Sheets?
10 team AL only. 4x4 with strikeouts. No drops without IL or Minors. Can keep 5 up to 3 years if $10 or under.
C: D. Jansen - $3, Y. Diaz - N/A 1B: V. Guerrero - $1 2B: J. Polanco - $4 SS: B. Witt - $1 3B: A. Bregman - $22
CR: E. Duran - $1, UT: J. Westberg - N/A
OF: K. Tucker - $1, J. Rodriguez - $1, E. Oliveras - $1, J. Kelenic - $3, M. Vierling - N/A.
SP: K. Maeta - N/A, T. Skubal - N/A, G. Cole - $46, Z. Eflin - $3, C. Sale - N/A, J. Montgomery - N/A

RP: K. Jansen - $23, C. Holmes - $27.
Minors: G. Rodriguez, A. Volpe, K. Manzardo, B. Lee, C. DeLauter

cwk1963

#4 Post by cwk1963 »

Tampa Bob wrote:Ben Sheets?
Yes, Ben Sheets is still a FA. I only included new potential FA coming off contracts in 2009 here.

Bodhizefa
Major League Veteran

#5 Post by Bodhizefa »

cwk1963 wrote: Erik Bedard
Doug Davis
Justin Duchscherer
Kelvim Escobar
Rich Harden
Tim Hudson - $12M club option/$1M buyout (Hudson may void option but loses buyout if he does)
Randy Johnson
John Lackey
Brett Myers
Brad Penny
Andy Pettitte
Joel Pineiro
John Smoltz
Jarrod Washburn
Todd Wellemeyer
Randy Wolf
Ben Sheets
I know it's not a fantastic class of free agents, but all the guys I've picked out above from your list seem to at least have a somewhat decent chance of being a 2 WAR pitcher in some form or fashion. I'm not saying I'd sign all of them, but given the right league, team and ballpark, I could make a case that any of the above could be a worthwhile signing at the right price.

I actually hope the Mariners are in the hunt for Randy Wolf or Randy Johnson along with the injury laden group (Bedard, Sheets, Harden, Myers).
I tried to think of the most harmless thing. Something I loved from my childhood. Something that could never ever possibly destroy us. Mr. Stay Puft! We used to roast Stay-Puft marshmallows, by the fire, at Camp Waconda.

cwk1963

#6 Post by cwk1963 »

Bodhizefa wrote:
cwk1963 wrote: Erik Bedard
Doug Davis
Justin Duchscherer
Kelvim Escobar
Rich Harden
Randy Johnson
John Lackey
Brett Myers
Brad Penny
Andy Pettitte
Joel Pineiro
John Smoltz
Jarrod Washburn
Todd Wellemeyer
Randy Wolf
Ben Sheets
I know it's not a fantastic class of free agents, but all the guys I've picked out above from your list seem to at least have a somewhat decent chance of being a 2 WAR pitcher in some form or fashion. I'm not saying I'd sign all of them, but given the right league, team and ballpark, I could make a case that any of the above could be a worthwhile signing at the right price.

I actually hope the Mariners are in the hunt for Randy Wolf or Randy Johnson along with the injury laden group (Bedard, Sheets, Harden, Myers).
There are some good gambles here especially the injury group you mentioned. But, obviously, there's a lot of risk with them also. Some may turn out to pay off in the long run but I think most GM's wouldn't want to count on them as their top of the rotation workhorse. I see this group as being bolsters to a rotation instead of the foundation. Randy Wolf, ok. Randy Johnson? Bleh ;)