Which pitcher do I waive? NL

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
shif6
Major League Veteran
Preferred Style: 5x5 keeper, auction

Which pitcher do I waive? NL

#1 Post by shif6 »

Ten team keeper league NL. Have Dempster back. Do I throw Kawakami, Hammel, Maholm or Mujica. (Also own Lowe, Hamels, Correia ($1), Matos, Broxton, Qualls,). I’m in third 10+ points out (close to second). Bottom in era, third from bottom in whip, dog fight for wins very closely packed, not much to go up or down in K’s. Have heard Kawakami may go to bullpen. Hammel has worst whip of the bunch. Maholm not likely to get much in the way of wins. Advantage of Mujica is that any replacement would hurt whip and era plus Mujica could become the closer next year.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Which pitcher do I waive? NL

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

Where you are in the category is secondary to how many points you can still gain or lose. Can you move up in ERA & WHIP, keeping in mind I am the lone voice in the wilderness screaming it is actually easiest to gain points in ERA and WHIP as compared to all the other categories.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

shif6
Major League Veteran
Preferred Style: 5x5 keeper, auction

#3 Post by shif6 »

Here's the relevant data. Would be very interested to know what you think. Earlier in the season I was very high in era and whip. Then the bottom fell out.
WINS
67, 61,60,60,58(my team),57,55,53,51,41
ERA
4.11,4.21,4.21,4.41,4.46,4.50 (my team)
whip
1.371 (my team)

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

Something to keep in mind is Latos is likely to be shut down well before the end of the season. Is it past your trade deadline? I wonder if dealing him might fetch you some 2009 help. With the trade of Gaudin, Mujica could get some starts.

You have it handicapped just as I would. They all have warts. To me, it is a decision between Maholm and the paucity of wins and Hammel and the incendiary risk to your ratios. I am obstinately holding out hope Kawakami still have value.

I think there is more a chance Maholm or someone else boost your wins than Hammel not inflate your WHIP, but that's just me.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord