Thoughts on my prospects

Minor Leaguers, prospects, projects, and suspects.
viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

Thoughts on my prospects

#1 Post by viper »

I'm in a first year of a 12-team dynasty league. We have 40 man rosters and can keep everyone forever. This is not a salary cap type league. We did a straight draft.

My drafted prospects were

Hanson, SP, ATL - already called up and looking good
Poreda, SP, CHW - called up and working MR this season
Bumgarner, SP, Oak
Gonzalez, Gio, SP, OAK - called up
Arencibia, C, TOR
Dominguez, 3B, FLA
Beckham, SS, TB
Frazier, SS, CIN

I would not mind opening a roster spot or two. My feeling are that Gio Gonzalez is not worth holding. Prospects Currently available include Drabek, Fowler, Friedrick, Lincoln and Walden. Players selected in the June draft are not available until a post season draft even if they are called up. The order is based on the reverse order of standings and I will be a top 3 team so guys like Strasberg and Ackley will be unavailable.

Is one of these guys a better choice to Gonzalez? Is my catcher even worth holding? Any thoughts out there?
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

Re: Thoughts on my prospects

#2 Post by Guest »

Gonzalez isn't worthless but he's unlikely to do much in the bigs.

I like Kyle Drabek. But you have to somewhat ignore the ERA's - for whatever reason his HR rate is nonexistent in the last two years and he's not really been a GBer in the minors.

And Todd loves Fowler and he's certainly going to be a SB threat for awhile.

Friedrick might have use someday but he's an A-ball pitcher right now, nothing really to evaluate yet. In a 12teamer Im not wasting the roster spot.

Lincoln and Walden arent guys I chase in a 12 teamer either.

I definitely keep the catcher, again in a 12 I am after scarce resources.

I'd go after Fowler, maybe stash Drabek but for more immediate return, Fowler.

viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

#3 Post by viper »

my dyslexia boo-boo. I meant Tyler Flowers, the White Sox catcher. Fowlers was drafted. But thanks for the answer.
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

#4 Post by Guest »

It did seem a bit odd to me that Fowler was available.

Flowers is a guy who's kind of interesting to me. Espcially this year in first of AA ball he can't handle the bat offensively (strikeout rate is around 30%) but he's walking almost 20% which is a repeat of his A+ numbers last year. Solid power - would I rather have him than Gio? Yeah. He's probably 3 years away. Maybe 2. And the strikeout rate could mean he never gets there. Drabek will make it up, no doubt, though you're still projecting AA pitching.

I'd go with either over Gio personally, with your team need/overall gut ruling.