Lewis trade

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
FBP

Lewis trade

#1 Post by FBP »

I am in an NL only 5x5 keeper league. I have an offer whereby I trade a $2 Lewis and $12 Bush for a $5 Spilborghs and a $22 Chris Young (SD). I am not high on either Young or Bush and the trade doesn't seem to do much for me other than taking on additional salary (we have an in season cap), although Spliborghs may have a bit more PT and could marginally help in RBI where I have a significant gap to close to get to the next tier in points. I am in first place with decent pitching and a good lead in Ks, but have lost Peavy and Myers so that gap may close and I am concerned about impact on WHIP/ERA.

I am also thinking of countering with a request he put in Correia who he has at $2 rather than Young but again not that excited. I could simply FAAB for Hammel, Ortiz or a mid reliever and ditch Bush to keep ERA/WHIP in line and ride out Lewis' slump. and/or try and do a Lewis for Spilborghs trade straight up

I would apreciate other views.

Thanks in advance

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

Re: Lewis trade

#2 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

I think we need to know how many teams are in this league. If it's 10 or more, I think you're going to be stuck. With Young now going to the DL with "shoulder inflammation", the Bush/Young part of the deal is a wash. So, Lewis for Spilborghs - this is not an impact deal on either side. Lewis was a darling based on 21 SBs in one year - but looking at his other numbers told a different tale. He's just not that good. So, in a sense, anything you can get for him is probably a plus - because it gets him off your roster. As for Spilborghs - well, lest just say a top of the order guy without much pop is not your RBI answer - he's hitting .240 with RISP so he's not going to contribute much.

As for Correia? Just pitching fodder in SD. One piece of info stands out on him - he's given up 6HR in only 46 IP ...in the best pitchers' park in the league. I'd pass on him too ... 2 bucks or not.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

roche

#3 Post by roche »

I am not high on either Young or Bush and the trade doesn't seem to do much for me other than taking on additional salary (we have an in season cap), although Spliborghs may have a bit more PT and could marginally help in RBI where I have a significant gap to close to get to the next tier in points.
Your reasoning sounds perfect to me. What I'm not hearing is how this trade helps you.

I'd probably not do the trade and keep your cap space for later. In leagues with in-season cap, cap space is actually quite valuable. Not having cap space is going to tie your hands later in the season when teams are dumping.

FBP

#4 Post by FBP »

chose not to do the trade. It was just shuffling chairs

FBP

#5 Post by FBP »

Still perplexed about Lewis' prospects. I have an offer in my nL 5x5 league of an $11 Garrett Anderson for a $2 Lewis. I don't mind giving up the keeper if he is one as I am in first and production is far more important, However if Lewis languishes on the bench or continues his dreadful 2009 (also SF trade rumors for a big bat), it seems like I should do the trade, but still gives me pause as the additional $9 in salary will be an issue later when Peavy comes back as he will push me $12 over the in season cap, thus necessitating another move or two. Just looking for a little more insight.

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Again, I see no need you have for Garrett Anderson. If you'll notice, you're not drawing a lot of talent in offers for Lewis. I'd say the additional units you'd pick up is the key for not doing the deal.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams