Trade help please!

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
jkadagio

Trade help please!

#1 Post by jkadagio »

12 team 5X5 roto. Keeper league. I'm currently in 1st place, but have flip-flopped with 2nd place for most of the year. My batting is pretty strong (1st HR, 1st RBI, 2 AVG), with the only area where I can improve points much is likely R's (4th) & SB's (7th).

I have Sizemore on the DL, and figure he could help the R's & SB's post ASB? That being said, one of the bottom teams has decided to sell-off a non-keeper Jose Reyes. Depending on his health, Reyes coming back could really put me over the top in R's & SB's . He is looking for a SP in return. My current staff is Sabathia (can't keep next year), Billingsley (2 year keeper), Gallardo (3 year keeper), David Price (5 year keeper) & Scott Baker (5 year keeper).

He is interested in Price. My pitching stats could probably take the hit of losing him this year. I could probably run w/ the 4 SP's I would have left as I am also running 4 RP's.

Do I give up Price as a long term keeper to get Reyes to push for a title this year (I know, flags fly forever...lol) or not?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Trade help please!

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

What is the REAL question you want to ask?

Hopefully it is more along the lines of getting opinions on how much Reyes will contribute the rest of the season. Thenbased on that, you decide to make the deal or not.

Personally, if trading David Price in a 12-team mixed league when I have other solid pitching keeper options nets me a much better chance of bringing home the bacon, I do it in a heartbeat.

but...

Jose Reyes would not be the target. Present reports are that he will not come back until after the All-Star break. I personally do not deal for injured players, no matter what the potential return. I would rather accept a lesser player but get him for an extra month. If dump trading is accepted in your league, I suspect you can get a pretty good runs/SB boost from a healthy option in exchange for one of the best young hurlers in the game, under control for 5 years.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

jkadagio

#3 Post by jkadagio »

Thanks for the response Todd. My long winded question was really asking for opinions on Reyes. I too don't like to trade for injured players, and I haven't heard much of anything, let alone anything positive relative to Reyes injury lately.

When I looked at the RoY forecast on this site for Reyes, I don't think that stat set would be worth trading control of Price for 5 years, imo.

I just noticed Nyjer Morgan was dropped this morning in this league. I think I'm gonna try and get him for a boost in SB/R.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

jkadagio wrote:My long winded question was really asking for opinions on Reyes.
Friendly word of advice, especially when the activity is down like now...

As I have mentioned in other threads, one thing we learned a long time ago when it comes to forums like this is no one cares about your team but you. And the staff back when we offered a guaranteed response :)

However, some may feel so inclined as to offer a general opinion on Reyes, or share any news/updates they may have heard/read.

As such, sometimes it is better to post a general Reyes question in the Player Analysis Forum.

Just a thought.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Trav The Ump

#5 Post by Trav The Ump »

I fall into line with what Todd said, Price should be worth a TON in a dump deal if he's under contract for five years. An injured Reyes probably not worth that you are correct.

BUT

I must confess my strategy is that "flags do fly forever" and sometimes you do take the worse end of the deal to fix what ails you this year to win it. Try and win it, go for it, you never know what might happen next year. Guys get hurt, have off years or just don't produce and your a tenth place team sitting on David Price for NO reason. If you think your close and can absorb the loss in pitching. Target something that will for sure fix your team. Crawford?