What is the fantasy impact of McLouth trade

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

What is the fantasy impact of McLouth trade

#1 Post by viper »

Trying this again

OK - what is the fantasy impact of the McLouth trade or is this pretty much a wash?

Also, if your league has daily moves, should Hanson be active when he makes his first start or should we adopt a wait & see attitude?
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

Shyguy30

Re: What is the fantasy impact of McLouth trade

#2 Post by Shyguy30 »

I have Hanson in two leagues, one NL-only and one Mixed. I plan to start him immediately in the NL-only league (can he be that much worse than Andrew Miller?) and using the old wait-and-see in the mixed league. I would think McLouth's value wouldn't change much. I don't know, do the Braves run less than Pittsburgh?

Mickey4081

#3 Post by Mickey4081 »

I would think the impact on McClouth is great considering he left one of the worst franchises in baseball.

alleyoops
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 slow auctions

#4 Post by alleyoops »

I'd start Hanson in all leagues. McLouth should do well in Atlanta, batting 3rd.

Shyguy30

#5 Post by Shyguy30 »

I remain skeptical of the bump in value on McLouth. Having played one fewer game than the Pirates, the Braves have scored 8 FEWER runs and their BA is .258 against .266 for Pittsburgh. Just because the Pirates are a terrible team doesn't mean they are poor in every phase of the game. Yesterday's lineup had him slotted in 3rd behind Johnson and Escobar with Chipper and McCann behind him. If anything, I think his steals may go down, he may get a slight bump in R and RBI (maybe 5-10) and the HR and AVG probably won't change much.

Hambowen

#6 Post by Hambowen »

He will see better pitches with Chipper and Mccann behind him. That will help his all his hitting stats besides sb's. It should also hurt stolen bases as there is very little reason to run with those guys behind you.

How it ends up as far as total value goes is probably positive unless they completely put the breaks on his stolen base attempts.

momige
Major Leaguer

#7 Post by momige »

who would you rather have for the rest of this year, Hanson or Jordan Zimmerman?

viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

#8 Post by viper »

Hanson over Zimmermann for both this year and future years. This is true in both fantasy and real live baseball. This is spoken by a Nats Fan. I do admit I have Hanson in a dynasty league.
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#9 Post by Todd Zola »

"Gun to head", this year I would probably take Hanson, but the difference is not enough to make it a no-brainer. Zimmerman's peripherals are quite good and the offense is better than average.

Hanson SHOULD be better, but Zimmerman has a 2-month head start in which he has a K/9 of 9.1 and a BB/9 of 2.7. A 25% line drive rate is hurting him as is a 69% LOB rate.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord