HanRam for Volquez and Josh Johnson?

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
rip2632

HanRam for Volquez and Josh Johnson?

#1 Post by rip2632 »

NL 5X5 league, I've been offered Volquez and J.Johnson for Hanley...my pitching is a mess (I've already dumped Snell, Howry, Wade and Correia and flipped Broxton for Prince after Edwin got hurt)...my team is below...do I need to make that move, and do I have enough offense to let Hanley go?

Brian McCann, Atl C
Albert Pujols, StL 1B
Kelly Johnson, Atl 2B
Garrett Atkins, Col 1B, 3B
Hanley Ramirez, Fla SS
Felipe Lopez, Ari 2b/ss
Prince Fielder,1b/3b
Fred Lewis, SF OF
Ryan Spilborghs, Col OF
Cody Ross, Fla OF
Jody Gerut, SD OF
Chris Burke, SD OF
Chris Coghlan, UT
Bench
Edwin Encarnacion, Cin 3B *DL
Lastings Milledge, Was OF
Rick Ankiel, StL OF *DL
Khalil Greene, StL 2b/SS

Angel Guzman
Joe Blanton
John Maine, NYM SP
Todd Wellemeyer, StL SP
Paul Maholm, Pit SP
Chad Qualls
Jordan Zimmerman
Ryan Franklin, StL RP
Jorge de la Rosa

jkadagio

Re: HanRam for Volquez and Josh Johnson?

#2 Post by jkadagio »

The argument could be made you don't have enough offense to do the deal, but if you've sold yourself on the notion that you do, I'd question whether you're getting enough back in return for HanRam. Just my 2 cents...

Mickey4081

#3 Post by Mickey4081 »

You are trading quite possibly the best all around fantasy players around. DO NOT trade him for 2 good starters. If and I emphasize IF you were to deal him for 2 pitchers it better be for Santana and Halladay.....two studs not two good starters.

alleyoops
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 slow auctions

#4 Post by alleyoops »

I also think you should get more if you deal Hanley, but I don't think you should deal him period. I'd look to deal Fielder for pitching. I'd think about countering with Fielder for those two.

Hambowen

#5 Post by Hambowen »

I really don't feel you have enough hitting to deal off any big bat let alone Hanley. I would try to make due with the pitching you have and work the wire hard and go with favorable matchups.

deaccat

#6 Post by deaccat »

I don't think two "decent" pitchers are worth possibly the best fantasy baseball player.

rip2632

#7 Post by rip2632 »

Is there an NL-only combo of pitchers worthy of Hanley? A few other owners have Lowe-Peavy, Lincecum-Volquez or J. Johnson, or Vazquez-Billingsley (or Kershaw)?

If one of the other owners bites on a proposal for one of those pairs, is that fair value? (The Lowe-Peavy proposal was met with a fair bit of interest...)

rip2632

#8 Post by rip2632 »

Just got proposed Carlos Zambrano + Peavy for Hanley. Same thoughts? (Not enough offense, play the surf game...)

cwk1963

#9 Post by cwk1963 »

rip2632 wrote:Just got proposed Carlos Zambrano + Peavy for Hanley. Same thoughts? (Not enough offense, play the surf game...)
No way.

rip2632

#10 Post by rip2632 »

To which part? ALL of the above, or what?

And does Peavy-Lowe or Peavy-Wandy get it to even value?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#11 Post by Todd Zola »

I'm not so sure "value" is the most important factor.

In general, there are two ways to evaluate a trade.

1. VALUE FOR VALUE
2. HOW IT HELPS YOUR TEAM

Sometimes we get too fixated on value and overlook the effect on the points-potential of the team pre-trade and post-trade.

Granted, early in the season, the more general practice is to accumulate value and to deal for balance later, but this could be an exception IF THE OFFENSE IS STELLAR AND THE PITCHING IS WEAK.

The exercise that needs to be done is to look at the points-potential of the team PRE-TRADE then compare that to POST-TRADE, being sure to backfill the positions of players you deal away.

IF THE POINTS POTENTIAL POST TRADE IS GREATER THAN PRE TRADE, the argument can be made the trade is viable.

Under the right circumstances, I can argue dealing Albert Pujols for Jacoby Ellsbury is advantageous for my team. Or dealing Jose Reyes for Chad Qualls.

Sometimes it isn't all about value, but like I said, this is usually more applicable later in the season.

All that said, it is extremely difficult for anyone to truly judge the repercussions of a deal, at least I am uncomfortable doing so, others may not have that issue. I am much more comfortable offering opinions on players and commenting in general on strategy, and then letting the owner decide if the deal is helpful.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord