Need some team strategy advice

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
cosmik_debris

Need some team strategy advice

#1 Post by cosmik_debris »

If this is in the wrong location, my apologies...

My team is in a Yahoo 5*5 H2H ROTO league, standard scoring.
Comprised of a 28 man (in season, 25 off season) roster with 5 DL slots.

I came into the league 3 years ago as part of an expansion when they went from 10 teams to 12... Did a pretty good job off of the 4 team (2 teams quit) draft they held but Im finding that trades are very hard to come by and the WW pickings very slim. By the trades being hard to come by, I mean in general offered junk or players towards the end of their careers, for my better players.

I got the teams SP to a high level I think and the batting to a decent area. But... I dont seem to be able to find the improvements I need to make. Ususally Im stuck with a weekly record of 5- 5 or a 6-4... Win most of the picthing except for Saves win SBs in the batting.

Is this a sustainable team?

C- Iannetta
1B- Fielder
2B- Alexi Ramirez
3B- Rolen
SS- A Cabrerra (Until Drew gets back then moved to 2B)
OF- Granderson, Hart, Ellsbury
U- Kubel, Bourn
Bench- Nix, C. Young, Morgan, Antonelli and Pie (hoping he will grow up)
DL- Drew, Lowrie and Gordon

SP- Volquez, Bannister, Hamels, Gallardo, Kershaw, Maine, Floyd, Cain and Owings
RP- Jenks, Coffee, Putz
DL Anibal Sanchez and B.J. Ryan

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Need some team strategy advice

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

In a 12-team league, sorry, but this is a very weak team. Is it a dynasty league? Keeper league? What are the rules with respect to freezing players?
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

cosmik_debris

#3 Post by cosmik_debris »

Its a dynasty league.. not sure what you mean by freezing though
We keep all 25 at the end of the season, at the beginning we have a 3 round draft to bring the total to 28 for the season

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

Freezing refers to how many you can carry over -- so '25' is the answer.
Upon further review I may have been a little harsh, I'll explain.

To me, what wins shallow leagues, and a 12-team league with 1 C, 3 OF and no CI and MI is quite shallow, is STARS.

So I eyeballed your lineup for what I consider 1st and 2nd rounders if it were a redraft league. I see Fielder and that's it. If you had 2, that would put you as average. I am willing to bet the better teams have 3 and 4 players that would be drafted in the top-24 if you started from scratch.

Where you make up some ground is with several guys that would go rounds 3-5, more than the usual 3.

That said, I don't like the construction of the team. In a 12team H2H, speed should be the least of your concerns and you have that coming out of the wazoo, especially in the OF so you are sorely lacking in power. For me, best case scenario is getting speed from the middle and you really don't have that. Heck, if healthy, you'd even be getting steals from your 3B which would go to waste. You even have SB on your bench.

However, a healthy Drew and a performing Alexei should compensate for so many SB in the OF.

If trading is allowed, I may try to deal Ellsbury for a big power stick. Then either Hart or Granderson for another OF that hits a few more HR and steals a couple fewer bags.

So maybe the way to put it is you have ample "value", it just needs to be less SB heavy. I would look for a team that needs SB to help their chances this season and see if I could deal for a power bat.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

cosmik_debris

#5 Post by cosmik_debris »

Thanks Todd;
I appreciate the in depth analysis. Trading is allowed and the idea of trading Ellsbury is a good one.
Ill shop around and see what I can get for him.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Todd Zola »

I'd look for a 3Bman, problem is there are either very, very good or a step below Ellsbury.

Maybe the owner of Aramis Ramirez could use some speed. That would be a nice power-hitting keeper and since he is out, maybe his owner will give him up.

Trav The Ump

#7 Post by Trav The Ump »

Not going to go in-depth. But I play in a 10 team AL-only and Felix Pie isn't rostered...cut bait. Take a flier on someone with some more upside and less playing time worries. Maybe try Reimold instead?

cosmik_debris

#8 Post by cosmik_debris »

Aram wont fly, hes set for speed, trying one option and seeing if the owner of Bay will go for Ellsbury.. he has very little speed on his team.

**thanks for the tip on Reimold... Ill look him up