Prospects potential callup (Hanson, Reimold, Hochevar)

Minor Leaguers, prospects, projects, and suspects.
CaptainTrunk

Prospects potential callup (Hanson, Reimold, Hochevar)

#1 Post by CaptainTrunk »

CBS just posted a list of potential impact callups. Since I'm struggling I thought maybe I'd jump on one or two of these before they're called up. Can I get a quick blurb on these guys?

1. David Price - already on a roster
2. Tommy Hanson
3. Nolan Reimold
4. Luke Hochevar
5. Matt Wieters - already on a roster
6. Chris Tillman

Are these guys going to make a difference this year?

Kelly_Leak
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 AL-only Auction

Re: Prospects potential callup (Hanson, Reimold, Hochevar)

#2 Post by Kelly_Leak »

I only know AL guys, so I will only comment on Reimold, Hochevar, and Tillman. This view is non scouting, mostly statistical point of view...

Reimold - Battled injuries after being drafted in the 2nd round of the 2005 draft. Last year was his first full season without an injury. He has several things working in his favor. 1.) He is currently on the O's 40 man roster (no 40 man roster move required to bring him up). 2.) The O's left field situation has been dreadful. He has 20-30 HR pop with a decent approach at the plate...making contact roughly 84% of the time. His injuries have definitely held him back as he is now 25 years old in his first season at AAA. The Orioles appear to be trying to figure out what they have in Montanez. I am guessing Reimold will be up by the end of this month, but that could be delayed if one of Pie, Montanez, or Wigginton get hot.

Hochevar - Was the 1st overall selection of the 2006 draft. He was selected 1st overall more because of signability than skills. Longoria, Morrow, Andrew Miller, Kershaw, and Lincecum were all drafted in the 10 after Hochevar. He struggled with command and HRs at the major league level last year. Again, there are several factors working in his favor. 1.) He is on the 40 man roster. 2.) Ponson is currently in the Royals rotation (enough said! ha!). He is a ground ball pitcher with some Ks. He profiles as a middle of the rotation starter, but needs to keep the ball in the ball park and limit his walks to be successful. I would guess his upside is Derek Lowe. (long term). He like most young arms will have his ups and downs once he is brought up.

Tillman - Traded to the Orioles in the Bedard trade by Seattle. First and foremost he is NOT on the 40 man roster. Although the Freel trade may have opened a spot...I'm not sure of Gathright's status. I would venture to guess that David Hernandez (who is on their 40 man) may be ahead of him. Hendrickson and Eaton will probably not last the entire year, but one of those spots is for Rich Hill who appears to be coming off the DL next week. Tillman is a fly ball pitcher with average control...this would lead me to believe that he will struggle initially in Baltimore (especially being in the AL east). Camden is definitely not a pitchers park, although the defense in center and right is outstanding.

If I were looking for help this year I would order them Reimold, Hochevar, and then Tillman. I wish I could give you some insight on Hanson, but I don't know much more than any of the little blurbs I've read. He will probably be more of a difference maker than any of those 3 AL guys.
10 Team 5x5 (OBP) AL-Only; 100 FAAB; *6 Keepers
1C: J.Lucroy; 1B: H.Ramirez; 2B: A.Cabrera; 3B: A.Bregman*; SS: R.Martin; MI: M.Semien; CI: C.Davis; OF: C.Stewart, T.Pham*, C.Mullins, J.Bradley, E.Jimenez*; DH: N.Cruz
10P: K.Herrera, C.Rodon, B.Snell*, J.Junis, H.Strickland, J.Verlander, M.Givens, C.Roe, T.Cahill, L.Giolito
Bench: N.Lowe, V.GuerreroJr*, J.Choi, F.Whitley, A.Hays
DL: F.Lindor*, B.Zimmer, D.Duffy

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Todd Zola »

In a nutshell, Hanson is to pitching as Wieters is to hitting with respect to his perception.

Hanson versus Price would be a good argument, both sides could win.

If ANY of thse guys is useful really depends on the depth of your league and if it is keeper or you want them to help THIS season.

Since you gave both AL and NL guys, unless it is over 20 teams, the ONLY one that could have ANY help this season is Hanson.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

CaptainTrunk

#4 Post by CaptainTrunk »

Since you gave both AL and NL guys, unless it is over 20 teams, the ONLY one that could have ANY help this season is Hanson.
Not nearly that deep, but we do have a decent size bench. Thanks for the input, both of you.