CLOSER CAROUSEL

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

CLOSER CAROUSEL

#1 Post by Todd Zola »

Yeah, I know, everyone has a pinned thread for closers, this is not original, but enough people have "borrowed" ideas from me over the years that I can borrow one too...

THIS THREAD IS FOR DISCUSSING THE EVER-PRESENT CLOSER CAROUSEL.

Please post any news you hear regarding changing closer situations.

Thanks.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: CLOSER CAROUSEL

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

BALTIMORE -- committee with D Baez, C Ray and J Johnson all possible with a pissed off Sherrill who obviously doesn't realize he isn't that good

OAKLAND - Ziegler back from the flu but stash Andrew Bailey if possible

SEATTLE - Aardsma filling in for Morrow but check out Shawn Kelley's peripherals
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

jkadagio

#3 Post by jkadagio »

Any new thoughts here?

OAK - Ziegler didn't last too long last night. Bailey came in to get the final 2 outs. Good stash call on him earlier in the week Todd.

WAS - What a mess. I had hope Beimel could come off the DL and claim a job nobody seems to want in WAS. Did anyone see him pitch? Looks like it took him 40 pitches to get through the 8th. Ugh. Maybe Hanrahan doesn't so much as step forward, more like everyone else steps back?

NYY - Who would be next in line if any vulture SV's come up here? I didn't see Rivera pitch but he gave up 2 HR's last night. Read this blurb over on RW:
"During Thursday's post-game show on the YES Network, Yankees manager Joe Girardi revealed that Mariano Rivera's surgically repaired shoulder has been bothering him."

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

With respect to Ziegler, he got lit up in a non-save situation. His job is still safe in that this isolated outing won't be an issue, but it is in some long-term jeopardy as he profiles as the type that could have more of these rocky efforts down the road, at which point his closer gig could be in trouble.

Beimel is not a good pitcher. They were using the line that they wanted some veteran stability at the back end of the bullpen while the youngsters mature. As we have discussed elsewhere, it is likely a matter of when, not if Hanrahan returns to the role of blowing saves for the Nats.

Yankees, who knows? Long-term you KNOW the Joba cries will be rampant. Short-term it islikely a matchup committee with Phil Coke currently throwing the best. Aceves could be a dark-horse, even though he is a starter and is filling the long-relief role presently.

somerandomguy
Major League All-Star

#5 Post by somerandomguy »

riveria looked great getting the 2 outs and had 2 strikes on crawford before the hr-riveria looked a little shocked when it was hit- after 2 strikes- crawford managed to foul 3 balls off before the hr however - the ball for that one was right down the middel- the announcers thought he seemed a little shaken up- which might have contributed to the 2nd hr-
AL only 5x5 11 Team keepers league J Rogers 2 A Frazier 5 Y Diaz(TB) 2 C McCormick 2 M Garcia 10 B Naylor 5 O Colas 5 L Butler 3 E Haase 12 J Baez 22 T France 24 P JP Crawford 10 R Grichuk 5 J Rojas 4 S Armstong 1 T Bibee 10 G Williams 4 A Chapman 8 G Rodriguez 10 T Skubal 5 B Singer 3C Hernandez 5 H Ryu 3
R M Bradley 4 N Cortes 1 S Bieber 36 R Noda 2 M Miller 14 C Cowser 13

CubFan
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: AL only 5x5 H2H & rotisserie keeper auctions

#6 Post by CubFan »

KC - watched Soria on TV last night. He didn't "look" right. Gave up 2 hits, 2 walks and a run in an inning. Hillman attributed it to rust. 13 of 29 pitches were strikes. Lowest percentage of his career, just the second time in the last 2 years that he has thrown more balls than strikes. He said he felt good. We'll see. KC covered up his sore shoulder he had in April and Hillman said in the paper he will be challenged in protecting his shoulder vs keeping him from being rusty. As most everyone knows Cruz is the backup. Sorry to the 3 Farnsworth owners out there.
12 team AL only 5x5 H2H keeper league. Using OBP, W+QS and S+1/2H

C - Garver $4
1B/3B - Torkelson $1, E. Durna $3 (??)
2B/SS - Royce Lewis $2, Story $13
OF - J Duran $11, Ward $7
UT -
SP - Hunter Brown $6, Ryan $22
RP - Fairbanks $6, Duran $16
Bench -

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by Todd Zola »

somerandomguy wrote:riveria looked great getting the 2 outs and had 2 strikes on crawford before the hr-riveria looked a little shocked when it was hit- after 2 strikes- crawford managed to foul 3 balls off before the hr however - the ball for that one was right down the middel- the announcers thought he seemed a little shaken up- which might have contributed to the 2nd hr-
There is concern over a drop in velocity and it is reported his shoulder is sore.

Last night was the first time EVER he has given up back-to-back jacks.

And he has already allowed 4 homers this season after allowing only 4 all of last year.

Call it a yellow cuation as opposed to a red alert.

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Todd Zola wrote:
somerandomguy wrote:riveria looked great getting the 2 outs and had 2 strikes on crawford before the hr-riveria looked a little shocked when it was hit- after 2 strikes- crawford managed to foul 3 balls off before the hr however - the ball for that one was right down the middel- the announcers thought he seemed a little shaken up- which might have contributed to the 2nd hr-
There is concern over a drop in velocity and it is reported his shoulder is sore.

And he has already allowed 4 homers this season after allowing only 4 all of last year.

Gorilla in the room time. If not Mariano, then who? Interesting, eh wot?
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#9 Post by Todd Zola »

da_big_kid_94 wrote:
Todd Zola wrote:

Gorilla in the room time. If not Mariano, then who? Interesting, eh wot?
That's where this all stemmed from, we talked about the "who" above. For now, just discussion, there has been no word that Mo will be missing any time.

Aside from Joba and the "committee", I am surmising help may come in the form of a trade such as Capps or Street.

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#10 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Believe me, I'm not suggesting about talking days here. I'm talking a 39 year old off shoulder surgery turning into the Yankee version of B.J. Ryan. If Mariano's down for a period of a month or longer, is it going to take Austin Jackson to get their closer or will they kill the Joba starter thing once and for all?
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#11 Post by Todd Zola »

I'd see what the Red want for Paul Janish :)

If Hughes and Kennedy can do anything, one would have to think Joba heads back to the bullpen.

The irony is that last game against Boston, Joba unveiled a changeup that has some potential to be his 3rd pitch, necessary for long-term success in the rotation.

CubFan
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: AL only 5x5 H2H & rotisserie keeper auctions

#12 Post by CubFan »

Todd Zola wrote:I'd see what the Red want for Paul Janish :)

If Hughes and Kennedy can do anything, one would have to think Joba heads back to the bullpen.

The irony is that last game against Boston, Joba unveiled a changeup that has some potential to be his 3rd pitch, necessary for long-term success in the rotation.
NYY - Hughes was lit up today and Kennedy has an aneurysm under his arm. Looks like Joba will stay put in the rotation for awhile longer. And Rivera continues to have shoulder discomfort.

KC - Soria still has a sore shoulder and Hillman is unveiling the dreaded "closer by committee" with at least one roto site mentioning Farnsworth as being in the mix. Nah, that has to be a joke............right?

Balt - both Johnson and Ray's last appearance was 1 inning in the 9th while Sherrill got a save in his last appearance. Their auditioning with Sherrill is still in the lead as we round the first turn. Baez does not appear to be in the mix despite being their best relief pitcher. :( Looks like I'll throw him back into the pond and go fishing elsewhere.

Oak - Zielgler still in control. But Bailey gets a 2 inning save and just about guarantees a few more chances.
12 team AL only 5x5 H2H keeper league. Using OBP, W+QS and S+1/2H

C - Garver $4
1B/3B - Torkelson $1, E. Durna $3 (??)
2B/SS - Royce Lewis $2, Story $13
OF - J Duran $11, Ward $7
UT -
SP - Hunter Brown $6, Ryan $22
RP - Fairbanks $6, Duran $16
Bench -

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#13 Post by Todd Zola »

Morrow off the DL for Seattle

Hanrahan cleaned up Kip Wells mess tonight, it's when not if he gets another shot to blow more saves

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#14 Post by Todd Zola »

Soria on the DL.

Hambowen

#15 Post by Hambowen »

Hawkins did a pretty good job in the role. Most sources are saying Valverde will be handed the role back.

Is there any chance Hawkins will stay the closer?

If not will Valverde be on a short leash?

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#16 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Hambowen wrote:Hawkins did a pretty good job in the role. Most sources are saying Valverde will be handed the role back.

Is there any chance Hawkins will stay the closer?

If not will Valverde be on a short leash?
Can't see it. 47 and 44 saves the past two years versus a guy who's never been able to win an keep a closing job? Unless Valverde gets hurt again, La Troy goes back to set up, by far the best role for him.