is washburn for real? -

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
somerandomguy
Major League All-Star

is washburn for real? -

#1 Post by somerandomguy »

s washburn for real? - is he a "had a good start and dump quickly" player or could he continue with these kind of #?
AL only 5x5 11 Team keepers league J Rogers 2 A Frazier 5 Y Diaz(TB) 2 C McCormick 2 M Garcia 10 B Naylor 5 O Colas 5 L Butler 3 E Haase 12 J Baez 22 T France 24 P JP Crawford 10 R Grichuk 5 J Rojas 4 S Armstong 1 T Bibee 10 G Williams 4 A Chapman 8 G Rodriguez 10 T Skubal 5 B Singer 3C Hernandez 5 H Ryu 3
R M Bradley 4 N Cortes 1 S Bieber 36 R Noda 2 M Miller 14 C Cowser 13

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: is washburn for real? -

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

He's a tough call, but I think the safer play is to use history as a guide and not 1 month, but allow for the chance some of what we are seeing is indeed real.

The K/9, BB/9 and HR/9 are better than his career mark.

His BABIP is .253, 50 points below "where it should be". He's been lucky. His HR/FB is a little lucks as well.

Assuming BABIP and HR/FB corrects AND he keeps up the improved K and BB rates, we have ourselves a better pitcher than we expected, but not one that will continue on with an ERA under 3.00.

In a deep league, I would take a chance that even when the luck is taken away, the small uptick in skills is real.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

somerandomguy
Major League All-Star

#3 Post by somerandomguy »

makes good sense- thanks todd- - hopefully a couple more good outings and i can trade him for value
AL only 5x5 11 Team keepers league J Rogers 2 A Frazier 5 Y Diaz(TB) 2 C McCormick 2 M Garcia 10 B Naylor 5 O Colas 5 L Butler 3 E Haase 12 J Baez 22 T France 24 P JP Crawford 10 R Grichuk 5 J Rojas 4 S Armstong 1 T Bibee 10 G Williams 4 A Chapman 8 G Rodriguez 10 T Skubal 5 B Singer 3C Hernandez 5 H Ryu 3
R M Bradley 4 N Cortes 1 S Bieber 36 R Noda 2 M Miller 14 C Cowser 13

roche

#4 Post by roche »

hopefully a couple more good outings and i can trade him for value
I don't think that it's possible to trade guys like Washburn and "get value". Unless you can find yourself a sucker, no one is going to believe in Washburn so selling high is definitely not an option.
If you think that he's going to have a good season, keep him yourself and reap the reward. That is the best option to help your team. If you think that the good start is a mirage, then keep him on a short leash and cut bait as soon as things turn sour.

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

roche wrote:
hopefully a couple more good outings and i can trade him for value
I don't think that it's possible to trade guys like Washburn and "get value". Unless you can find yourself a sucker, no one is going to believe in Washburn so selling high is definitely not an option.
If you think that he's going to have a good season, keep him yourself and reap the reward. That is the best option to help your team. If you think that the good start is a mirage, then keep him on a short leash and cut bait as soon as things turn sour.
Much truth and wisdom in that view. Only way you can trade Washburn is to someone who just started playing this season. Anybody else will tell you they're just sitting back and waiting for his crash.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams