looking for advise to replace zaun at catcher

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
somerandomguy
Major League All-Star

looking for advise to replace zaun at catcher

#1 Post by somerandomguy »

AL only 4x4

Greg Zaun is just killing my average- so looking to replace him

i see 3 possible replacements on my FA list-
jose molina, chad moeller and michel hernandez

it looks to me that molina would be the clear choice- any opinions?
AL only 5x5 11 Team keepers league J Rogers 2 A Frazier 5 Y Diaz(TB) 2 C McCormick 2 M Garcia 10 B Naylor 5 O Colas 5 L Butler 3 E Haase 12 J Baez 22 T France 24 P JP Crawford 10 R Grichuk 5 J Rojas 4 S Armstong 1 T Bibee 10 G Williams 4 A Chapman 8 G Rodriguez 10 T Skubal 5 B Singer 3C Hernandez 5 H Ryu 3
R M Bradley 4 N Cortes 1 S Bieber 36 R Noda 2 M Miller 14 C Cowser 13

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: looking for advise to replace zaun at catcher

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

What's done is done, you can't change that.

What you have to consider is what is most likely GOING FORWARD. What is a better sample to use, a player's history or 3 plus weeks opening a season?

Zaun is a lifetime .248 hitter. Last season, he hit .237 in 245 AB with 6 HR
Molina is a lifetime .238 hitter. Last season, hit .216 in 268 AB with 3 HR

Based on this, who is the better hitter and is more likely to produce better numbers going forward?

If anything, it is far from CLEAR that Molina is the choice.

Hernandez is filling in for Riggans as the Rays backup. Navarro gets the lion's share of AB in Tampa. Prior to last night, he was 2 for 9.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

somerandomguy
Major League All-Star

#3 Post by somerandomguy »

i was just a little worried about zaun losing his job-
AL only 5x5 11 Team keepers league J Rogers 2 A Frazier 5 Y Diaz(TB) 2 C McCormick 2 M Garcia 10 B Naylor 5 O Colas 5 L Butler 3 E Haase 12 J Baez 22 T France 24 P JP Crawford 10 R Grichuk 5 J Rojas 4 S Armstong 1 T Bibee 10 G Williams 4 A Chapman 8 G Rodriguez 10 T Skubal 5 B Singer 3C Hernandez 5 H Ryu 3
R M Bradley 4 N Cortes 1 S Bieber 36 R Noda 2 M Miller 14 C Cowser 13

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

He will, eventually, to Wieters.

But Molina is a backup, as is Moeller and Hernandez.

The thing you have to keep in mind is when you pay 1 or 2 for a catcher, you are going to get lousy numbers. But hopefully, the money you saved you channeled elsewhere to get additional help to balance it out.

Some people prefer to play a guy that will get extremely limited AB so their average is barely impacted, but of course, you miss out on some counting stats. It all is team-contextual.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

I think you are going to have to apply addition by subtraction in your situation. In an AL only 4x4, just about ANY catcher you name at this point in the season will kill your BA. I personally would take Hernandez and then start saying novenas for Riggans' return to good health. You're not going to get worthwhile production from the catchers available to you, so I'd minimize damage instead.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams