Another Replacement for Gordon Thread

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
Kelly_Leak
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 AL-only Auction

Another Replacement for Gordon Thread

#1 Post by Kelly_Leak »

10 Team 5x5 AL-Only. Team in signature.

I have several options here. First, my offense has performed well to date (despite Gordon). I am first in every offensive category except SBs were I am second. I definately have the strongest offense in the league (on paper). I think, ultimately, I want someone that won't kill my BA and may provide a bit of pop. My corner spot will probably become a revolving door until Gordon returns, but in the meantime who do you like best out of the following:

- J. Larish: Picked him up last week when I speculated that Guillen was going to the DL; already on team and would then use Gordon's spot on a pitcher
- J. Buck: I can move Inge to 3B; will cost more than 1 unit of FAAB as he is sure to go this week
- J. Bautista: Playing against lefties; probable cost 1 unit
- M. Sweeney: Qualifies at 1B in our league; with Ichiro back how much does he play?; probable cost 1 unit
- K. Millar: Will play a couple times per week when Tor faces a lefty; probable cost 1 unit
- W. Betemit: It was between him and Larish last week; Konerko and Fields have played well so there has been no need for him; probable cost 1 unit
- B. Harris, B. Buscher, W. Aybar: Meh

Thanks!
10 Team 5x5 (OBP) AL-Only; 100 FAAB; *6 Keepers
1C: J.Lucroy; 1B: H.Ramirez; 2B: A.Cabrera; 3B: A.Bregman*; SS: R.Martin; MI: M.Semien; CI: C.Davis; OF: C.Stewart, T.Pham*, C.Mullins, J.Bradley, E.Jimenez*; DH: N.Cruz
10P: K.Herrera, C.Rodon, B.Snell*, J.Junis, H.Strickland, J.Verlander, M.Givens, C.Roe, T.Cahill, L.Giolito
Bench: N.Lowe, V.GuerreroJr*, J.Choi, F.Whitley, A.Hays
DL: F.Lindor*, B.Zimmer, D.Duffy

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

Re: Another Replacement for Gordon Thread

#2 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

I'd take the Buck alternative. I'd also keep an eye on Buscher since I don't trust Crede's health. Also - In the AL East - there are only 5 lefty starters at this time (Kaz, CC, Pettite, Hendrickson, Lester). It's nice enough to be a lefty playing the AL West - but I'd look at the schedule for Toronto before making the lefty/righty call.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

CubFan
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: AL only 5x5 H2H & rotisserie keeper auctions

#3 Post by CubFan »

Millar is not a friend to BA. He does offer some pop. I had thought Betemit would play more than he has but as you said Fields and Konerko have performed well so far. I like Buck but his BA will come back down to earth. He will hit better than last year as he was dealing with the issue of an ill child. I echo kid's thoughts at looking at Buscher as Crede insurance. I had him, dropped him and am now considering picking him back up. So, probably ride the short term train of Buck while he has the hot hand. Just be prepared if he starts going 0 fer in a couple games in a row he may be sinking into a funk again. Then cut bait and look elsewhere.
12 team AL only 5x5 H2H keeper league. Using OBP, W+QS and S+1/2H

C - Garver $4
1B/3B - Torkelson $1, E. Durna $3 (??)
2B/SS - Royce Lewis $2, Story $13
OF - J Duran $11, Ward $7
UT -
SP - Hunter Brown $6, Ryan $22
RP - Fairbanks $6, Duran $16
Bench -

Kelly_Leak
Major League All-Star

#4 Post by Kelly_Leak »

I ended up going the Buck route.

Hopefully he stays hot for another week or two. I am keeping my eye on some struggling/tenuous CIs and there possible replacement(s) (Buscher, Ka'aihue, Brett Harper, Carp, etc)
1C: J.Lucroy; 1B: H.Ramirez; 2B: A.Cabrera; 3B: A.Bregman*; SS: R.Martin; MI: M.Semien; CI: C.Davis; OF: C.Stewart, T.Pham*, C.Mullins, J.Bradley, E.Jimenez*; DH: N.Cruz
10P: K.Herrera, C.Rodon, B.Snell*, J.Junis, H.Strickland, J.Verlander, M.Givens, C.Roe, T.Cahill, L.Giolito

HotCornerHero

#5 Post by HotCornerHero »

What's wrong with Brendan Harris?
Isn't he eligible at 2b, 3b, SS, CI/MI?
I know that on Yahoo! that's how he breaks down.
Right now he's hitting .407, 5r, 1hr, 2rbi. Not overly great but solid enough in 27ab.
That multiple position eligibility has got to worth a couple dollars for your roster.

Another guy, who qualifies at SS, OF, MI (at least on Yahoo!) is the Rays Ben Zobrist, he's been hot of late as well, .308 4r, 3hr, 9rbi, in 26ab. Lets not forget that he popped 12hr in 198ab last year. I'm not saying, I'm just sayin.

Kelly_Leak
Major League All-Star

#6 Post by Kelly_Leak »

Zobrist was picked up 2 weeks ago.

Harris was picked up this week when I grabbed Buck. Actually, since Harris has started like 4 games in a row, his number of ABs has doubled since my original post. I was not very interested in him because of the lack of ABs to date. Oh well.

Like I said I envision a revolving door throughout the rest of the season at CI. I am beginning to explore trade possibilities, but I mostly need pitching. I may try to get a throw in type CI depending on who I can deal with.