FAAB for Wieters

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
ChipDog
Double-A

FAAB for Wieters

#1 Post by ChipDog »

Ok, so what are some suggestions for FAAB bids for Wieters? We are AL only, with a $100 FAAB budget. I cant decide what others might do as far as spending a bunch expecting him to help them win this year or bidding to try to keep him for future years. My guess is the former in my league at least. heck, that may be me in that group !! Maybe $25 ?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: FAAB for Wieters

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

Realize he is not coming up now, the comment in the Player News Forum was only that his callup could be sooner than most anticipated.

I can't put a number on it, only offer some general thoughts...

1. When it comes to FAAB in "only leagues", I do one of two things. I hoard as much as possible to get the NL stud at the deadline or I spend early and often, since once I break the seal, I am out of the running for the NL transfer. I don't Mickey-Mouse it, if I want someone early, I GET HIM.

2. The Wieters hype is warranted, but I am concerned he will not hit the ground running as "Mark Teixeira with a catcher's mitt", because he is in fact a catcher, thus has to learn the nuances of catching in the Majors, a pretty crappy one at that.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

alleyoops
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 slow auctions

#3 Post by alleyoops »

In leagues with an in-season cap, it is difficult to take the "hoard" approach, since if you spend a big chunk of your FAAB on one guy, you may not be able to fit him under the cap, and he may be difficult/impossible to trade. Not saying that doesn't work, but in cap leagues it's another consideration.

I think the $25 that you mentioned in the other thread is about right, but I think you're likely to find a bid higher than that. At least bidding that much makes the other guy pay more, if it happens.

cwk1963

#4 Post by cwk1963 »

The hype is so high (not saying it isn't warranted) that I'd be very surprised if the winning bid is lower than $50 in a keeper league. I see 2 types of teams going heavy on the bidding. A team near the money but weak at the position thinking Wieters will put him over the top and a team near the bottom looking to either keep him or trade him for a bunch.

CubFan
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: AL only 5x5 H2H & rotisserie keeper auctions

#5 Post by CubFan »

In our 12 team AL only keeper league we have a $310 in-season salary cap. With all the hype I figure $25 on the low end with the possibility someone who is near the top and short at the catching or UT spot bidding into the low $30s. That would put your team salary into the low $290s and allow a little wiggle room for trades and a shot to get Price when he comes up.
12 team AL only 5x5 H2H keeper league. Using OBP, W+QS and S+1/2H

C - Garver $4
1B/3B - Torkelson $1, E. Durna $3 (??)
2B/SS - Royce Lewis $2, Story $13
OF - J Duran $11, Ward $7
UT -
SP - Hunter Brown $6, Ryan $22
RP - Fairbanks $6, Duran $16
Bench -