Wang

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

Wang

#1 Post by viper »

I'm sure happy I selected Wang in the Subscriber's League. I am equally sure that all the other twelve teams feel the same way.

I wonder if ever in baseball history has every player on a team scored at least one run and had at least one hit BY THE END OF THE SECOND INNING.
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

Re: Wang

#2 Post by viper »

On a side note, I am in two AL-only leagues that do not have benches. Unless Wang is placed on the DL list or sent to the minors, he must remain active [if that is the proper word] or be released. If released, I wonder if anyone would pick him up in a week. In the Subscriber's League, I have a bench spot already saved for him.
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

msugray

#3 Post by msugray »

viper wrote:I'm sure happy I selected Wang in the Subscriber's League. I am equally sure that all the other twelve teams feel the same way.

I wonder if ever in baseball history has every player on a team scored at least one run and had at least one hit BY THE END OF THE SECOND INNING.
You're probably not interested in the, "Give it time. It's early. If this were in the middle of the year, you wouldn't notice.", advice. ;) :)

It's hard for me to be too critical of anything at this point. The start of this season has been interesting on many fronts.

Tampa Bob
Major League Veteran
Preferred Style: Rotisserie Auction

#4 Post by Tampa Bob »

5 reasons to remember it's early...

1. The Indians team batting average before the 2nd inning yesterday was .261. Their average AFTER the inning was .283 (Plain Dealer).

2. Miggy Cabrera goes 1 for 4 on Saturday and his average drops by 25 points.

3. With a 7.20 ERA Koji Uehara is 1 win from the Major League lead.

4. Seattle is in first place.

5. Kansas City is too.

Still, Wang has been brutal. I feel for the owners that thought he was going to approach his 19 vistory seasons.

cwk1963

#5 Post by cwk1963 »

For the most part, he's not getting his sinker down. And on the few occasions he does, the hitters are sitting on it because they know he'll come back up. He's been up in the zone all of his starts. His sinker is sinking but either he's starting it too high or it's not biting enough at the end - it's kind of floating up there. Girardi said they watched film of him from this year and before the injury last year and everything - his hands, leg kick, arm angle - looks out of whack. They've ruled out sending him to the minors for now and are leaning towards letting him work on his mechanics his off days and make his next start. Considering that it's against the Red Sox in Boston, it certainly doesn't give Wang owners and Yankee fans a warm and fuzzy feeling.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Todd Zola »

Looks like they will skip Wang and go with CC in Boston next weekend, making CC a 2-start option this week.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Hambowen

#7 Post by Hambowen »

I cannot find anything with him that says he is hurt in anyway. Please tell me if this is wrong.

So a guy doesn't just lose his skills at this age, you would have to assume he turns it around at some point. If there is something physical then that is a whole other story.

I do not own him in any leagues but maybe that will change soon.

cwk1963

#8 Post by cwk1963 »

They're saying mechanics right now although his velocity was off by a couple mph.

This video was posted on mlb.com:
http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/art ... p&c_id=nyy

Could it be the result of lingering injury in his foot? Very possible but as of now he's insisting he's fine and wants to pitch but there definitely is a difference between the two. He does look to be favoring his right side. This confirms Girardi saying he saw a problem when he looked at the video.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#9 Post by Todd Zola »

There is some conjecture that Wang is "injured" if only to get him an option-free injury rehab trip to the minors.

I'd think a bullpen session in lieu of his weekend start to see if he has any sink on the ball is the better call, we'll see.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord