May be time to focus on 2025

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
CubFan
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: AL only 5x5 H2H & rotisserie keeper auctions

May be time to focus on 2025

#1 Post by CubFan »

Am stuck in last place in H2H at 1-5 with roster full of underperformers and some poor FA choices. Be that as it may I think I'm looking at a rebuild year. There are a number of good to great players on the IL who will be out for most if not the entire season that I think I can get for $1. This is a 12 team AL only 5x5 H2H keeper league using OBP and W+QS. The league in general is starting to shy away from high priced SPs. Draft day team salary $260.

Here is a list of available IL players (pitchers all having undergone TJ surgery)....
Rassmussen (2 previous TJs and the latest was an internal brace construction (which my son had as a college pitcher so am pretty versed on what the rehab entails) He's been very good when healthy.
Hendriks....he's targeting an Aug return. Turns 35 which is a bit of a negative. Boston signed him for 2 years and Jansen is gone after this season with no in-house closer for 2025.
Bautista....should be back for start of 2025 season
Bieber....may miss the first month of 2025 season
Story......hasn't played much past 2 years so will likely be rusty. Still under contract with Boston for big $$ so they will play him. Low BA/300ish OBP but I still figure 20-20 is reasonable.

I know there are some major pitfalls with all of the above (such as whether or not they'll be even be league average) but do you see any of the above worth rostering at $1 for next year?
12 team AL only 5x5 H2H keeper league. Using OBP, W+QS and S+1/2H

C - Garver $4
1B/3B - Torkelson $1, E. Durna $3 (??)
2B/SS - Royce Lewis $2, Story $13
OF - J Duran $11, Ward $7
UT -
SP - Hunter Brown $6, Ryan $22
RP - Fairbanks $6, Duran $16
Bench -

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: May be time to focus on 2025

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

That's a philosophical question that only you can decide for yourself.

My preference is not to incur excessive risk with my freeze list.

Your team, your call.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord