Roster construction for 2024

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
CubFan
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: AL only 5x5 H2H & rotisserie keeper auctions

Roster construction for 2024

#1 Post by CubFan »

12 team AL only 5x5 H2H keeper league using OBP, W+QS and S+ 1/2H. $260 draft day team salary. Typically top end talent sees 30-35% draft day inflation.

My current keepers on offense are:
OF-Ward $7
OF-Jarren Duran $11
3B-Royce Lewis $2
SS-Story $13
1B-Torkelson $6

My question focuses on the offense. In looking at the projections for OF there is a noticeable drop off after the first 5 (Soto, Judge, Tucker, J Rod, Yordan). Only Soto is available and possibly Alvarez (he has a $44 salary so may go back into the draft). Of the top 10 OFers only 3-4 will be available. Soto will likely go for $50+ maybe closer to $60. Lewis and Story have some injury concerns. And Alvarez has knee (chronic?) and elbow issues that seem to crop up each season so getting a full season of stats is unlikely.

What's your preference of the following scenarios:
1) trade for Alvarez $44 (most likely I'd only offer some FAAB to the owner)
2) target Soto in the draft
3) if miss on Soto go after Alvarez
3) set sights lower in the OF group (most likely look in the $15-25 tier) and try to secure a top end stat at other positions eg as Ramirez or Devers.
12 team AL only 5x5 H2H keeper league. Using OBP, W+QS and S+1/2H

C - Garver $4
1B/3B - Torkelson $1, E. Durna $3 (??)
2B/SS - Royce Lewis $2, Story $13
OF - J Duran $11, Ward $7
UT -
SP - Hunter Brown $6, Ryan $22
RP - Fairbanks $6, Duran $16
Bench -

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Roster construction for 2024

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

Alvarez hasn't had knee issues since he had surgery on both, and the elbow cropped up late last season. Granted, he's had other stuff (oblique, finger last season, and the mysterious hand injuries the previous season). That said...

I prefer to keep things fluid in an auction. I've written a ton on this, the Cliff Notes is I'll distribute what I have to spend among my open spots and list the available players to fill each spot. Once the inventory for a spot has dried up, I'll lower the number for that spot and funnel the excess elsewhere.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord