Punting SP in 5x5 H2H as a strategy

Theories, Concepts and Analytical Discussion (draft strategies, valuation, inflation, scarcity, etc.)
CubFan
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: AL only 5x5 H2H & rotisserie keeper auctions

Punting SP in 5x5 H2H as a strategy

#1 Post by CubFan »

Our 5x5 H2H AL only keeper league uses W+QS and S+1/2H will put to a vote on whether to drop the IP requirement. We also play standard 5x5 roto in parallel but H2H is the big $$ pot. I see Doug Dennis has won AL Tout back to back using this strategy in roto but wonder if you've been in H2H leagues where someone did this and it's effectiveness or your opinion on doing this. I've been fortunate in using 4-5 SPs and good RPs to place 1st and 2nd in our roto but can't get out of the first round of the playoffs the past 3 years. If our league goes with no IP limit I'm toying with the idea of bullying hitting and going with 9 RPs and punting W+QS and Ks. Drawback in H2H is having one or two RPs blowup in a week which even the elite closers have done in a week.
12 team AL only 5x5 H2H keeper league. Using OBP, W+QS and S+1/2H

C - Garver $4
1B/3B - Torkelson $1, E. Durna $3 (??)
2B/SS - Royce Lewis $2, Story $13
OF - J Duran $11, Ward $7
UT -
SP - Hunter Brown $6, Ryan $22
RP - Fairbanks $6, Duran $16
Bench -

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Punting SP in 5x5 H2H as a strategy

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

It's a defensible, and common strategy in H2H leagues. There's less margin of error, and it works best when no one else is doing it (the more doing it makes it harder to dominate offense). It's worth considering.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord