"Fairness" in trading

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
CubFan
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: AL only 5x5 H2H & rotisserie keeper auctions

"Fairness" in trading

#1 Post by CubFan »

In my 12 team AL only 5x5 H2H keeper league (25+ years) I have a pending trade where I'm trading my Tyler Wells $2 for Hunter Brown $1 (needs an extension in 2024). The other owner is fine with the trade since he plans on keeping Wells next season and has several other players that need to be signed to extensions and doesn't want any more(league rule is a player signed to an extension can not be dropped).

I already endured a bunch of criticism from several owners earlier in the year when I traded a minor SP (who was temporarily sent down and was expected back in a couple weeks and the other owner still wanted him) for a good closer with a high contract. Some said it wasn't "fair" value while one complained it was bad optics for the league. But the majority of the league said if two owners agree on the trade then so be it. If I go ahead with this trade I'm going to get heat again. If I was on the outside looking in I can understand that the optics may not look good.

I guess I could add a few $$ of FAAB or even switch to taking Lorenzen since he's in the NL. What's your opinion on trades like this?
12 team AL only 5x5 H2H keeper league. Using OBP, W+QS and S+1/2H

C - Garver $4
1B/3B - Torkelson $1, E. Durna $3 (??)
2B/SS - Royce Lewis $2, Story $13
OF - J Duran $11, Ward $7
UT -
SP - Hunter Brown $6, Ryan $22
RP - Fairbanks $6, Duran $16
Bench -

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: "Fairness" in trading

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and opinions vary.

I think the other team manager is making a monumental mistake, but their team, their call.

Brown is virtually assured of a rotation spot in a great team context while Wells will be fighting an uphill battle and looks earmarked for a swingman type role.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

CubFan
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: AL only 5x5 H2H & rotisserie keeper auctions

#3 Post by CubFan »

If you were me would you go through with the 1-1 trade and not worry about the league optics("what's good for the league") or throw in a few FAAB units or even swap Brown out for Lorenzen?
12 team AL only 5x5 H2H keeper league. Using OBP, W+QS and S+1/2H

C - Garver $4
1B/3B - Torkelson $1, E. Durna $3 (??)
2B/SS - Royce Lewis $2, Story $13
OF - J Duran $11, Ward $7
UT -
SP - Hunter Brown $6, Ryan $22
RP - Fairbanks $6, Duran $16
Bench -

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

Not something I can answer. Not just here, but in general, I don't opine without knowing all of the facts. Only someone in the league has that.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord