Team has run into an iceberg....taking on water

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
CubFan
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: AL only 5x5 H2H & rotisserie keeper auctions

Team has run into an iceberg....taking on water

#1 Post by CubFan »

12 team AL only 5x5 H2H keeper league. Currently tied for first place in division but am 1-3 after a 12-0 start and losing this week. Injuries and unexpected SP ineffectiveness have taken a toll on my team over the past month. Currently down from 5 to 3 SPs. Gausman, Gilbert and Jon Gray are only healthy SPs. Wells demoted a week ago and Joe Ryan landed on IL today. On offense lost Ward for the season (Grossman is his replacement) with Bichette, Royce Lewis, Story and Mullins on IL. Had an injured Judge earlier. My concern is how to right the ship for ros.

Active Roster....
C - Jansen
1B/3B - Tork, Geno Suarez, Chapman
2B/SS -Bichette (IL), Story (IL).....B Lowe (traded) and Jordan Diaz were there until last week. Baez
OF - Mullins (IL), Grossman, Jaren Duran, Verdugo, Ez Duran
UT - Ford

Bench (max of 4) - Jordan Diaz, Wells (minors), Ward (IL), Royce Lewis (IL)

I have $11 of 100 FAAB left.

SPs available.....Verlander, Flaherty, Silseth, Ragans, Bieber, DeGrom
Hitters available......Cron, Grichuk, DeJong, Sheets, Oscar Gonzalez, Arias, Roochio, Canzone, Marlowe

Current thinking....target SP. With O's landing Flaherty I don't know when/if Wells will return. I've offered Wells $2 and Lewis $2 to an owner out of playoffs for his Bradish and Kwan (non-keeper). Kwan would replace Grossman. If I fail to land Bradish I'll need to go the FA route. Of course I'll bid on Verlander and Flaherty but seriously doubt I'll get either due to lack of funds. Would you bid on Silseth and Ragans to replace Ryan or go RP route leaving me with only 3 SPs and non-competitve for W+QS and Ks? Or do nothing and take zeros for his spot?

On offense I should get Story back next week. Mullins the week after. I could activate Diaz for Bichette. If I do that and don't trade Wells then my bench is full and I'd have to drop one of Wells, Ward (Was planning on keeping him at $7 next year) or Lewis if I'm moving Ryan to IL. Which one? If I get Silseth, Ragans or RP on the cheap to replace Ryan I could bid up to $7 on the available hitters to replace Grossman or Ford. I'm thinking my best chances are for Oscar Gonzalez and Canzone (if he doesn't go off).

Apologize for the long winded post but as you can see my roster is a mess.

Any thoughts/recommendations appreciated.
12 team AL only 5x5 H2H keeper league. Using OBP, W+QS and S+1/2H

C - Garver $4
1B/3B - Torkelson $1, E. Durna $3 (??)
2B/SS - Royce Lewis $2, Story $13
OF - J Duran $11, Ward $7
UT -
SP - Hunter Brown $6, Ryan $22
RP - Fairbanks $6, Duran $16
Bench -

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Team has run into an iceberg....taking on water

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

I would go after Silseth and Ragans (assuming Civale is rostered).

Depending on your league rules, Kyle Manzardo is a good stash (though he could already be gone).

Josh Rojas could run a bit if Seattle plays him.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

CubFan
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: AL only 5x5 H2H & rotisserie keeper auctions

#3 Post by CubFan »

Appreciate you taking the time to answer a lengthy post.

Rules don't allow minor league pickups so Manzardo NA yet.

My concern with Rojas is time share with Caballero and Moore? Plus Rojas has been a disappointment this year so he needs to get untracked pronto if he wants to get the lion's share of pt.

With Kelenic out for another 4ish weeks and Pollack gone it looks like Canzone and Marlowe will get a good deal of pt. Also wonder if third time is a charm for Gonzalez in Cleveland. He improved his launch angle some in AAA and started taking some walks. But is he in a platoon with Straw?

If I'm unable to trade Wells and/or Lewis to free up bench space in order to replace Ryan via FAAB I'd have 5 players for my 4 player bench....Ryan $22, Bichette (contract prevents being dropped), Wells $2, Ward $2, Lewis $2. Who would you drop? Initial thought is Wells. Or leave Ryan active thereby my bench remains at 4 but have only 8 pitchers getting stats.
12 team AL only 5x5 H2H keeper league. Using OBP, W+QS and S+1/2H

C - Garver $4
1B/3B - Torkelson $1, E. Durna $3 (??)
2B/SS - Royce Lewis $2, Story $13
OF - J Duran $11, Ward $7
UT -
SP - Hunter Brown $6, Ryan $22
RP - Fairbanks $6, Duran $16
Bench -

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

Rojas is just a speed (if necessary) play.

Wells is tough, been grappling with him as well. It's not out of the realm that he turns it around and has five September starts, but it's more hope than likely.

I think if Gonzalez hits, he plays, and I like his chances more than Marlowe and Manzone.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord